Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Game's shifting strategies (Verducci article)

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Game's shifting strategies (Verducci article)

The full title is "Game's shifting strategies leaves Beane, sage of Moneyball, behind," but though it starts out in Oakland it's really about the overall market and how young players have gone from undervalued to possibly overvalued. A good read, although many of the themes have been touched on here. Excerpt:

Like most emerging trends, the valuation of young players is based on solid theory but has come to be overemphasized -- except in San Francisco, where old-school Yoda Brian Sabean shipped off a former first-round pick, Zack Wheeler, to try to win a second straight World Series by renting Carlos Beltran.

The emphasis on young players is such that Cleveland, suddenly blessed with one of these rare "windows," was criticized for trading two top pitching prospects to get 27-year-old star pitcher Ubaldo Jimenez, and the Yankees pronounced their pride in having traded nobody.
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...l?eref=writers
    Not all who wander are lost

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Game's shifting strategies (Verducci article)

Great article. Thanks for posting it.

I do agree that younger players are overvalued now. Especially by the large market teams.

In some cases, the market inefficiency is the undervalued veteran players.
    Gomes was not the greatest LFer ever, but he filled in a void above replacement level at a very low cost. Very few drafted players give that much production at the ML level. There's probably better examples to make the point than Gomes.

The article fails to mention though that Beane's winning teams benefited a lot from roids too. Giambi, Tejeda, etc. That was just as important as Zito/Mulder/Hudson.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

You know I think those large market prospects have always had an element of being overvalued to them. For every Hanley Ramirez who lived up to the hype there are dozens of guys the Yanks and Sox have traded away where were not even bad major leaguers, but in fact didn't make it at all.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post

I do agree that younger players are overvalued now. Especially by the large market teams...
    ...and here on Redszone as well!
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

I would be interested to find a way to see the value of "cost effective prospects" for teams over and under the $100M payroll marker. I think that teams over that marker in payroll can much easier afford to "trade the farm" than teams under it. Ideally it makes sense because well, they can afford to buy their way out of not having guys ready to step in, but that isn't entirely what I am looking at.

If he's right about the media being responsible for the over valuing,it leads to the logical conclusion that larger media markets' prospects have had superior billing and still do.
    May the Lord bless

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    You know I think those large market prospects have always had an element of being overvalued to them. For every Hanley Ramirez who lived up to the hype there are dozens of guys the Yanks and Sox have traded away where were not even bad major leaguers, but in fact didn't make it at all.
    I don't think that's nearly as true as it used to be, you almost can't turn around without tripping over a former Yankee prospect who's contributing something for someone: Ian Kennedy, Tyler Clippard, Daniel McCutchen, Jeff Karstens, Phil Coke, Mark Melancon, Austin Jackson. Not as many former Red Sox, but you bump into some of them around, too: Anibal Sanchez, Justin Masterson, David Murphy, David Pauley. The most hyped ones usually end up staying, they seem to buy it as much or more than everyone else.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Turn Off Ads?