Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rolen out 4-6 Weeks (Shoulder Surgery)

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Rolen out 4-6 Weeks (Shoulder Surgery)

Per Reds Official Twitter
    Rolen today had arthroscopic surgery to remove bone spurs & fragments from AC joint, left shoulder. Expected to fully recover in 4-6 weeks.
    Not much of a loss, considering Rolen's low output this year.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Rolen out 4-6 Weeks (Shoulder Surgery)

Shut him down for the remainer of the season and make Todd Frazier the every day 3B.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Shut him down for the remainer of the season and make Todd Frazier the every day 3B.
    Or...put in a waiver claim on David Wright.

Did Kremchek do the surgery?

I agree that's what should be done but it won't be done.

Or a platoon of Frazier-Francisco. (I guess that would be a fratoon.) Francisco has been rehabbing in Arizona for several days, so presumably it won't be long before he's ready.

I know that Francisco is not a favorite here, but I really believe--have all along--that his injury was a significant blow to the Reds this year. To me, he was the perfect backup for Rolen: a left-handed power hitter who could provide a run-producing presence in the lineup on the days Rolen had to sit.

Meanwhile, this is the chance to see if he and/or Frazier can handle the job going forward.

That said, I'm all for David Wright.

Wish they would have done this last winter. It's not like this was a sudden injury.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Wish they would have done this last winter. It's not like this was a sudden injury.
    I don't why Rolen messed around with this and waited. It was quite obvious early on he was just a shell out there playing third base and hitting too. Wasted a season waiting on something that was never going to heal.
    Someone needs to kidnap Cairo away from Dusty so Frazier can play everyday and get some valuable experince. Cairo has been really good but he's not going to be an everyday 3rd basemen.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    That's my take too. This should have been done long before now.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...re-on-rolen-2/

I talked to Scott Rolen for a long time about the shoulder on the homestand. The fact that he had arthroscopic surgery does not surprise me. He was growing tired of the cycle: Play until it gets unbearable, go on the DL, strengthen it to point where he could play again, play until it gets unbearable . . .

The procedure was just to clean it up. Four to six weeks, which is projected to be out, still takes you to early to mid-September. I would not be shocked if he’s done for the year — depending where the Reds are in the standings when he’s ready.
    Last edited by klw; 08-03-2011 at 04:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Did Kremchek do the surgery?
    Si

Kind of a bummer, but I'm glad on two fronts:

1) When he comes back, he should be stronger and more reliable
    2) It (hopefully) gives us an extended look at Frazier
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I hope this works well for Scott and he can came back strong for one last hurrah next year. I love Cairo , but this team really needs to get a prolonged look at Frazier and maybe Francisco when the roster expands.

Frazier looks to me like he needs a serious strength program. I was surprised by how scrawny he looks. He doesn't look like a big-leaguer.

Regardless, I think he's a future OF/corner INF utility guy. I'm not dying to see him play full-time. I would be surprised if Cairo didn't outperform him. I'd be more interested in seeing Francisco get an extended shot. He may have a lower floor, but he also has a higher ceiling than Frazier. If it clicks for him at the major league level, he could be a legitimate starter.

Any chance he retires? I know, it's a longshot I'm sure. But 3B for the future needs to be addressed sooner rather than later.

Turn Off Ads?