Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Please Baseball Gods, Make it Stop

Worth The Wait

Please Baseball Gods, Make it Stop

Is it ok to vent on the ORG? I know people complain a lot, but I'm talking a good ole' fashion venting that serves no purpose other than to maybe make me feel better and maybe make some of you feel better as well in the vein of misery loves company. Well, that's what I'm about to do.

This has been my least favorite/least enjoyable Reds season in probably 15 years. Maybe one or two seasons in The Lost Decade were worse, but this has just been a total and utter nightmare.

Marty said it very well tonight... "sometimes it looks like this team has never played the game before."

Our MVP first basemen makes three "errors" on one play, two mental and one physical... Looks to throw to second on a soft bunt, doesn't respect the speed of the runner, and then lobs a lollipop to first base. Completely as totally avoidable by simply having your head in the game.

And this is not meant as a pile on to Votto... He's been a bright spot overall and really shoulders no real blame for this season, but that play was sort of a microcosm of the year.

Ive cussed at the Reds a lot over the years but I'm not sure ive said "what the _____ is he doing?" so many times as I have this year.

It's been bafflingly (is that a word?) bad? Everything Dusty has done this year turns to mush. Every button he pushes causes a short circuit. If he said "heads" and flipped a coin ten times, Im thinking tails ten times in a row.

It's been a perfect storm of bad play, bad managing, and bad luck. Walt also deserves blame for a few off season gambles that have not worked out.

I have never been less confident at the end of games as I have been this year. It's absurd.

Still pretty happy with where we are as an organization, but ten years of
    Misery followed by one great year and then a total tank job doesn't inspire much confidence going forward, even if many of the pieces look good on paper.

Thank God the NFL lockout ended because I think I'd rather watch The 4th quarter of Panthers-Raiders in the preseason than stomach the Reds at this point.

What a miserable, and really useless, season it has been.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Please Baseball Gods, Make it Stop

Can we have a mulligan on this season?
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

Looking into the crystal ball here....

For the 2012/2013 seasons...the Reds will run away with the division one year, and will be in a dogfight for the crown one year.

This is the year that everything just went wrong. The most optimistic odds at the beginning of this season would be that the Reds had a 50 percent shot of winning the division. Well guess what, this year we called "heads" and the coin landed "tails". It happens. Painful, but it happens.

I sort of expected this result, but hoped it wouldn't actually happen, I know I'm not alone. They relied way too much on guys repeating career or close-to career years (Votto, Arroyo) turning into gold (Bruce, Stubbs, Wood, Bailey, EV) and for some reason thought Rolen was still capable of swinging a bat for a full season, or even half of one.

Yes they're in good shape, but it's time to make some smart moves or just fade away for another 5 years. It'll take 3-4 guys, at least, that they don't have, plus the improvement and promotion of guys they do.

With the attendance increase this year, the fans should be rewarded with some better effort and risk on Bob/Walt's part, but I guess that's a given.

I have to say I agree. It's been such a disappointing season. It's like everything they do wrong is always magnified. Willis has actually done a good job, but the reds find ways to lose for him. I'm going to bed. Tonight was very....well, you know!
    And This One Belongs to the REDS!!!

Anyone think that this sort of Jeckyll/Hyde games could be attributed IN PART to Dusty's hand's off type of managing?
    Quote Originally Posted by moewan View Post
    Barmaid to patron "Sir you are slurring, I am going to have to cut you off"

Patron to barmaid "I'm not slurring, I'm speaking in cursive"

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Looking into the crystal ball here....

For the 2012/2013 seasons...the Reds will run away with the division one year, and will be in a dogfight for the crown one year.

This is the year that everything just went wrong. The most optimistic odds at the beginning of this season would be that the Reds had a 50 percent shot of winning the division. Well guess what, this year we called "heads" and the coin landed "tails". It happens. Painful, but it happens.
    It's possible, but this organization absolutely cannot afford another lackadaisical offseason like the last one. There are obvious moves that need to be made. Make them.

The front office strategy this winter absolutely cannot be hoping that Fielder and Pujols are playing elsewhere next summer.

After losing 2 of 3 to the Astros and not gaining 1 game in the "easy" part of te schedule so far, it's time for a all in move.

By all in, I mean:

Playing only those players who figure in to 2012. Getting them valuable AB's to help offset the learning curve of the Majors.

This means no playing Renteria just cause he is hot. He won't be here next year and every AB he gets over Cozart when he returns, is a infringement on his development towards next year.

DL Arroyo, move Willis to the BP and call up Wood.

Willis has had some great starts so far as a Red. That being said, I don't see him as a fixture in the Reds rotation next year. I don't see him coming back on another Minor League deal. Get Wood back up here and see what he can do for the remainder of the year. You gave Leake a second chance, Wood deserves one also.

Start piggy backing Chapman in the rotation.

Have him go 2, then 3 then 4 then 5 and cap it there for the remainder of the season. If this team is to contend in 2012, a arm like Chapman's in the rotation would go a long way to help.

Decide on Votto.

If your going to move him, do it this offseason. A team like the Angels would give a arm and a leg to have the guy for 2 years. Think Votto, Bailey and Heisey for Haren and Trout.

Call up Mesoraco.

Yep the pitchers would have to learn a new catcher and vice versa, but it has to happen at some point. Hanigan is looking tired at the plate and Ramon still could net you a prospect. A call up would help Mesoraco learn the pitchers this year when it doesn't matter in the standings and give the Reds a nice RH Power bat in the 6 hole.

Who is Rolen's Caddy?

Rolen probably won't be back this year and next year is his last hurrah. He needs to be kept at about 80 to 100 games. Cairo has be a god send this year, but he too will be gone after next year. So making him Rolen's exclusive caddy is not really prudent moving into 2013 and beyond. Is it Francisco or Frazier? Make a choice and get him on the roster.

The Reds record should be irrelevant at this point. Sure we all would like to see them win some games and finish over .500, but, if going 72 - 90 means the kids get to play, get experience and the team has a better grip of how the off season needs to go than finishing 82 - 80 with players who won't be here, I'll take 72 and 90.

Continuing to play vets over the rooks at this point would be the last nail in the coffin for Dusty to me.
    Last edited by nemesis; 08-04-2011 at 01:53 AM.
    If you can't be a good example... then you'll just have to be a horrible warning...

Nothing tastes as good as being fit feels...

I just wish the season would end. This season has been awful. I know the politically correct answer is oh I love baseball and all that, but after the first 5 games of this season it has been zero fun.

If your going to move him, do it this offseason. A team like the Angels would give a arm and a leg to have the guy for 2 years. Think Votto, Bailey and Heisey for Haren and Trout.
    Oh for the love of God no.
    Last edited by reds44; 08-04-2011 at 02:01 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    Decide on Votto.

I agree with most of your post, but the above...no. You want Haren? The same guy who couldn't pass a physical and couldn't get traded at the deadline??? And Votto plus pieces for him and Trout? Just...no.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I just wish the season would end. This season has been awful. I know the politically correct answer is oh I love baseball and all that, but after the first 5 games of this season it has been zero fun.
    Yup, this pretty much sums it up for me too. This has been the least enjoyable season in memory. I guess because we had almost no expectations the previous decade, but this year, we expected more. This has just been no fun whatsoever this season.

This team is so frustrating and fundamentally flawed that not even a fresh infusion of talent from Louisville is going to make it any fun to watch the Reds for the balance of this wretched season. Truly drastic measures are called for. Forget about elevating Mesoraco, Sappelt or Hermida. Time to summon the Fembots.

http://youtu.be/zTv9AhCuSU4

If anyone wants a little solace for this season, go look at the 1971 Reds. All those great players, coming off a World Series loss, finished 79-83. Their roster was filled with young guys. The oldest starting pitcher was 27. The oldest position player was 30. I liken this season to that one.

And this team only need go 25-26 the rest of the way to match them.
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. -- Terrance Mann (Field of Dreams)

Thank God the NFL lockout ended because I think I'd rather watch The 4th quarter of Panthers-Raiders in the preseason than stomach the Reds at this point.
    So watching the Bengals will ease your frustration? I would think that watching them along with how the Reds have been playing is a formula for alcohol abuse.
    “Our next home stand follows this road trip.”

“I just want to tell everyone Happy Easter and Happy Hanukkah.” says on the day before Easter

Mike Shannon

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

It's been a miserable season, you are right about that. I didn't enjoy any point of it. I don't know what it was but I think this team needs re-built. I believe Votto wants out, Stubbs and Bruce are not the type of guys you can build around. If I think that you can bet the FO has seen that exhibited.

It's just been a downright awful season in every way imaginable, make me realize how truly good we had it in 2010
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    So watching the Bengals will ease your frustration? I would think that watching them along with how the Reds have been playing is a formula for alcohol abuse.
    The only thing I can think of more frustrating to watch than the Reds recently, is ESPN covering the Jim Tressel fiasco at Ohio State. Now that is/was alcohol and razor blades.

Baffling plays, managerial moves, and front office gridlock.

Sure makes the move to hold onto Ramon Hernandez worth it, doesn't it?

I labeled a game two weeks ago as must win. Chided by the "not anymore than the other 162 crowd" since that point they get swept by the Mets, sweep the Giants, and then get it handed to them by the Astros. The freaking Astros.

Bring on preseason football.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Turn Off Ads?