Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newspaper story on Yorman

Newspaper story on Yorman

DAYTON — Speculation is rampant that outfielder Yorman Rodriguez, on the disabled list for the second time, might not play again this season for the Dragons.

Rodriguez took himself out of Sunday’s game at Bowling Green complaining of left shoulder pain. He had been cleared to play a few days earlier after being on the DL with a bruise in the shoulder suffered while diving for a ball at Quad Cities.

“Structurally, everything was OK,” manager Delino DeShields said Wednesday, referring to results of an MRI last week. “I’m going by what (trainer) Tyler (Steele) tells me — they don’t know what’s wrong.”

This is another chapter in the ongoing saga of Rodriguez, the five-tool Venezuelan who received a $2.5 million bonus to sign with the Reds three years ago on his 16th birthday.

It’s been upsetting to Reds officials that Rodriguez, who turns 19 on Aug. 15, does not seem to have a burning desire to play or, when he does play, to hustle. As one National League scout put it, “If only his heart matched his talent.”

In his first season above rookie ball, Rodriguez, ranked No. 4 among Reds prospects, is batting .264 with seven home runs, 40 RBIs and 20 stolen bases.

“Heart’s a tough thing to read,” veteran utility man Frank Pfister cautioned. “A lot of guys can get misunderstood. I don’t like that. A lot of people who say that aren’t around him all the time and don’t know what’s going on in his life.”

DeShields has been periodically dismayed by Rodriguez’s failure to run hard after balls hit to him or to pursue those that elude him. DeShields even shifted Rodriguez from center to right field, where the lapses tended to be slightly less glaring — and harmful to pitchers’ earned-run averages.

The Reds always have given Rodriguez the benefit of the doubt, citing immaturity. As minor league field coordinator Freddie Benavides likes to put it, “He’s a high school senior.”

DeShields has no qualms about North Carolina State product Drew Poulk playing right field until more is known about Rodriguez. Poulk, promoted Tuesday from Billings, was back in the lineup as the Dragons continued a series with West Michigan.

“With anybody’s job, things go on,” Pfister said. “But being under the microscope is not always easy. Yorman’s going to do some incredible things, and the doubters are going to eat their words.”

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Re: Newspaper story on Yorman

Well, now we know why Pfister is still in the organization. But seriously, when I think back on my life--which is nothing like Rodriguez'--there's no way I could've handled what he's going through at 18 years old. I think people need to learn to be patient with him. It's best for everyone, especially Rodriguez.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Well, now we know why Pfister is still in the organization. But seriously, when I think back on my life--which is nothing like Rodriguez'--there's no way I could've handled what he's going through at 18 years old. I think people need to learn to be patient with him. It's best for everyone, especially Rodriguez.
    Agreed. Plus, IIRC, he's had some family problems back home which I'm sure are quite a distraction.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I agree to an extent because like it or not, when you are paid that well you are expected to learn how to handle your situation better than the general population and quickly.
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Very disappointing to hear the continuing stories/comments about Yorman's poor attitude. I don't think it's just "internet chatter" any longer. Sounds like the kid has a big-time attitude problem. I might be more disappointed than most because I had this kid ranked higher than maybe anyone on this board entering this season. Pretty sure I had him as the #3 overall prospect in the organization.

Obviously there is still PLENTY of time for him. He's extremely young. But having a bad attitude is difficult to correct. It's not like he has a hitch in his swing that they can just fix with good coaching and repetition. If he's a headcase, no baseball coach is going to magically change that. I guess this is the risk you take giving some 16-year-old kid $2.5 million, but I liked the signing at the time and honestly I still do to some extent. The kid is oozing with talent. I'm glad he's in the organization, I just hate hearing about all this attitude problem/headcase stuff.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

I don't know why anyone would expect a kid coming out of a poverty stricken culture who wins the lottery at 16 to be mature beyond his years at 18. Hopefully the Reds org. can help him through the rough spots while still being fair to his peers.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I don't know why anyone would expect a kid coming out of a poverty stricken culture who wins the lottery at 16 to be mature beyond his years at 18. Hopefully the Reds org. can help him through the rough spots while still being fair to his peers.
    Well, there is middle ground between "mature beyond his years" and "a complete headcase." I certainly hope it's closer to the former than the latter, but we shall see.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Sure, he could be Elijah Dukes, but I'm guessing he's needing a good mentor at this point. Or a life lesson. Handing a guy a big bonus at 16 would stunt any number of normal people's growth. It doesn't have to be a sign that he is a loser. My guess is immaturity.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

I have to imagine it's really tough coming to a new country at that age. Life itself can be quite overwhelming; I wonder what sort of support structure the Reds have in place.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

From the DDN:

Rodriguez, batting .254 with 7 home runs, 40 RBIs and 20 stolen bases in 79 games, also dealt with death this summer when his grandmother and a close friend passed on the same day. On a festive personal note, Rodriguez turns 19 on Monday.

Said DeShields, who has been dismayed at times by Rodriguez’s lack of effort in the outfield, “It seems like he’s in a better place.”
    http://www.daytondailynews.com/dayto...b-1230012.html
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Is there any new news on Yorman or if he may play this season again? I am going to the Dragons game tomorrow night in Bowling Green and just curious if I may see him play or not...

While I feel bad for the kid, I still think reasons like this downgrade his prospect ranking? Can he overcome these things? I sure hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    While I feel bad for the kid, I still think reasons like this downgrade his prospect ranking? Can he overcome these things? I sure hope so.
    Yorman stock has fallen faster than Enron stock in 2001.

OK, it hasn't been quite that bad -- it's not like he was playing awful before his injury. He actually was holding his own for the most part. And he's still EXTREMELY young to be playing at the low-A level. A lot of his teammates are 22 and 23. He's 18.

However, it's the attitude/laziness rumors that I'm concerned about. I don't have any first-hand knowledge about this -- just what I read (mostly here on RedsZone). But it sure sounds like the kid has a serious attitude problem. I've read on multiple occasions that DeShields (Dragons manager) was often furious with him for his lack of respect for the game. Hopefully it's something he grows out of. I can't stress enough how young he is for his level.

But there is no doubt he's gone from a top-5 overall prospect in the organization to outside of the top 10. As for whether he will play again this season, I have no idea. I am guessing no at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post

But there is no doubt he's gone from a top-5 overall prospect in the organization to outside of the top 10. As for whether he will play again this season, I have no idea. I am guessing no at this point.
    There is zero chance that Yorman ranks anywhere near "outside of the top 10" for me unless he finds himself in Jail before my rankings come out. Maybe I am crazy, but from a pure tools perspective, no one on that Dragons roster is on the same level as him.

should he stay in Dayton another year

Turn Off Ads?