Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 27 of 27

Thread: Scouts takes on some Dragons

  1. #16
    Member medford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    2,078

    Re: Scouts takes on some Dragons

    Hamilton's speed really hit me the other night while driving around and catching an inning or two b/w errands. Sounds kind of weird, that his speed hit me while listening to game on the radio, but bare with me. Billy hit a ball to RF, the play by play guy mentioned that he laced a ball into the corner, Hamilton will easily get a double out of this, then proceeded to mention that he was headed for 3rd and potentially going for an inside the park HR. Hamilton pulled up for the triple, rather than race towards home, but based upon the natural pace that you hear a double or potential triple being called over the radio, it sounded like Billy's a good 45 ahead on the base paths than your typicaly runner on a ball into the corner. I know this translates poorly over the internet, even worse than over the radio, but it just struck me how fast the kid is that you I could even get a sense of his speed based up on the description of his triple vs your standard triple.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    15,743

    Re: Scouts takes on some Dragons

    After watching Jose Altuve hit for a few games, I feel a lot better about the prospects of a short dude. Of course, Dustin Pedroia isn't all that bigger and they don't call him "Laser show" for nothing.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

  4. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Richmond, Indiana
    Posts
    1,679

    Re: Scouts takes on some Dragons

    Getting on base is so important in baseball, yet size dominates when discussing physical tools. Wouldn't small size translate to a tool also (if such small size equates to lots of walks?)?

  5. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    585

    Re: Scouts takes on some Dragons

    Surely Eddie Gaedel was one of the greatest hitters of all time.

  6. #20
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,366

    Re: Scouts takes on some Dragons

    Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    Hamilton's speed really hit me the other night while driving around and catching an inning or two b/w errands. Sounds kind of weird, that his speed hit me while listening to game on the radio, but bare with me. Billy hit a ball to RF, the play by play guy mentioned that he laced a ball into the corner, Hamilton will easily get a double out of this, then proceeded to mention that he was headed for 3rd and potentially going for an inside the park HR. Hamilton pulled up for the triple, rather than race towards home, but based upon the natural pace that you hear a double or potential triple being called over the radio, it sounded like Billy's a good 45 ahead on the base paths than your typicaly runner on a ball into the corner. I know this translates poorly over the internet, even worse than over the radio, but it just struck me how fast the kid is that you I could even get a sense of his speed based up on the description of his triple vs your standard triple.
    There's a highlight on the Dragons website where he got an inside-the-park homer on a fly ball to LF. It was a little wet and the OFers were just a little slow fielding it, but your talking normally a double, the ball didn't even make it to the wall. He was rounding third as these guys picked up the ball. The timing just doesn't make sense at all, you'd think it was edited, like what you're hearing on the radio.

    http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/m...38973&sid=t459
    Can't win with 'em

    Can't win without 'em

  7. #21
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    15,743

    Re: Scouts takes on some Dragons

    Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    There's a highlight on the Dragons website where he got an inside-the-park homer on a fly ball to LF. It was a little wet and the OFers were just a little slow fielding it, but your talking normally a double, the ball didn't even make it to the wall. He was rounding third as these guys picked up the ball. The timing just doesn't make sense at all, you'd think it was edited, like what you're hearing on the radio.

    http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/m...38973&sid=t459
    It's like they cut out a few seconds of video between each base.... By my count, it took him 14 seconds to score.

    Here are the fastest inside the park homers in 2010:
    1. Angel Pagan - May 19, 14.48 secs
    2. Cameron Maybin - May 31, 14.75
    3. Tony Gwynn, Jr. - June 13, 15.34
    4. David DeJesus - Apr. 23, 15.71
    5. Stephen Drew - Apr. 5, 15.84
    6. Adam Jones - May 22, 16.04
    7. Gerardo Parra - June 9, 16.06
    8. Aubrey Huff - Apr. 14, 16.45

    Suffice it to say he's really, really fast.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 08-12-2011 at 02:19 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

  8. #22
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,366

    Re: Scouts takes on some Dragons

    Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    Getting on base is so important in baseball, yet size dominates when discussing physical tools. Wouldn't small size translate to a tool also (if such small size equates to lots of walks?)?
    So, you're saying size shouldn't matter?
    Can't win with 'em

    Can't win without 'em

  9. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Richmond, Indiana
    Posts
    1,679

    Re: Scouts takes on some Dragons

    I hope not

  10. #24
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lebanon
    Posts
    7,067

    Re: Scouts takes on some Dragons

    I don't follow the minors as much as others.

    Is Jefry Sierra related to Ruben Sierra?
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

    "Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

  11. #25
    Member RedLegsToday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Fairfield, OH
    Posts
    591

    Re: Scouts takes on some Dragons

    It's like they cut out a few seconds of video between each base.... By my count, it took him 14 seconds to score.
    It looks like he starts swinging just as the timer on the video changes to 0.09 and he is sliding right when it changes to 0.23. He may have been under 14 seconds.

  12. #26
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    7,694

    Re: Scouts takes on some Dragons

    Quote Originally Posted by RedLegsToday View Post
    It looks like he starts swinging just as the timer on the video changes to 0.09 and he is sliding right when it changes to 0.23. He may have been under 14 seconds.
    It just looked odd that he was already halfway to third when the OF's picked up the ball. I'd normally expect to see the runner nearing 2nd at that time.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

  13. #27
    Member wlf WV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    huntington,wv
    Posts
    606

    Re: Scouts takes on some Dragons

    Quote Originally Posted by RedLegsToday View Post
    It looks like he starts swinging just as the timer on the video changes to 0.09 and he is sliding right when it changes to 0.23. He may have been under 14 seconds.
    I thought the same.It didn't look like he got a great jump out of the batters box either.
    May the Lord bless


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25