Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Devin Mesoraco

Devin Mesoraco

Watching this kid tonight in the AFL All Star game, I feel pretty comfortable with the Reds giving him a share of the catching duties to open the season (with Hanigan getting the majority of the starts). So, it would not bother me at all to see them let Hernandez and Cabrera walk. With Bruce achieving Super 2 status, the club needs to find a few bucks in order to afford the upgrade in left field it requires to compete for another division title in 2011. If Walt moves one of our young starters and Alonzo for a cleanup hitting left fielder, the tax is not going to come in the form of talent, but in payroll. Moving some valuable parts to make room for that money may be a little painful up front, but if the NLDS proved anything to Reds fans it was that teams aren't going to respect Scott Rolen next year as much as they did in 2010. It is absolutely mandatory to put a young, professional hitter behind Joey in the batting order that teams do not want to pitch to. Left field is the most obvious deficiency in the starting lineup, and fortunately one of the most exploitable positions in the game. A trade could easily be done with the young talent this team owns to make this team dangerous next year.

Solidifying the number 8 hitter on a solid baseball team is not as ridiculous a notion as it sounds, and there is no question that this is where Paul Janish and his gold glove defense belongs. I will not just suggest Mark Belanger for how valuable he could become on the high end of his value, but someone we are more familiar with in the original number 13 for Sparky's Reds. If Janish hits 8th 150 games for the 2011 Reds, it would not surprise me to see 11 home runs, 50-60 ribi's and an obp north of .300. And that would not even touch on what he would do for the entire pitching staff defensivley. Alex Gonzalez and Orlando Cabrera get millions of dollars for such production these days. No, Janish cannot run like Davey. But, his hitting potential is just as tangible at this point in his career as what Concepcion developed into. Even if all of this optimism is ridiculous, he still deserves a chance over another season of O-Cab at four times the price. Outstanding defense is a small price to pay for a shortstop.

Hernandez had a great season offensively, but his inability to bring the best out of the pitching staff has been well documented at Redszone. What Mesaraco may do to harm this club in quality ab's could very well be made up for in raw power. Defensively, I have read that he tends to relinquish an inordinate number of passed balls. But, he looked extremely comfortable behind the plate tonight catching Jeremy Jeffress, who more than once hit 100 mph with unguided scud missiles. The kid looks very atheletic behind the plate to the nake eye, and very much like the future of this team hitting somewhere in the middle of it's order very soon. Ryan Hanigan looks more than ready to take over this rotation while Devin hones his skills at the major league level to me. To let Ramon's 2-3 mil prevent this club from getting it's left fielder this winter would be sad. This is not even to touch on Grandal, who appears to be a rapid climber.

So who do we get? Matt Kemp would be amazing. Are the Dodgers REALLY ready to give up on him? Their pitching staff is surprisingly thin, despite some dynamite at the top. I could see Los Angeles buying into Leake, Lecure or maybe even Maloney and Alonzo for Matt Kemp. I think I would move on any of those starters plus Yonder in that deal. If they stahled, I might even throw in Jordan Smith or Chris Valaika. The Dodgers are not going to bite unless it is major league ready talent, but the Reds are plush with that in any number of ways.

If that failed, I might look at San Diego and Ryan Ludwick. I don't think Ludwick is a superstar by any stretch. But, in a ballpark like GAB, he could be the perfect catalyst hitting between Votto and Bruce. There is no doubt in my mind that Walt would love to capitolize on the Cardinals decision to give this guy away in a panic to pick him up and make his former employer pay. The Padres are about to lose A-Gon to free agency, and Kyle Blanks is coming off a season in which the normal wear and tear of baseball left him with a season ending injury to his sasquatch feet. Yonder Alonzo may look very good to that team, especially if he was packaged with the type of effective pitcher we seem to have falling from trees at this particular time. Ludwick would have a very realistic shot of hitting 30 hr's and collecting 100 rbi's with a high batting average hitting between Votto and Bruce.

In short, I think there are deals out there to bring a great left field option to Cincinnati this winter. If so, the peripheral offensive contributions of players like Hernanez and Cabrera can be taken off the books along with their bad contracts. If, by some miracle, the Reds could move Cordero for another "bad contract" who just so happens to provide exactly what the club needs in left, so much the better. But, this is what Walt Jocketty gets paid for.

We are on the precipice of greatness if the powers that be can take this team to the next level with a couple of brilliant postseason moves. Investing a little faith in drafting and player development, very similar to what the Giants did at a maniacal pace this season, is often what seperates the men from the boys in this game. But, there is a lot to be said for what a good GM can do at the poker table as well.
    Last edited by Phhhl; 11-07-2010 at 01:22 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Devin Mesoraco

Or, the Reds could sign Coco Crisp for $2-4 million and gain a LF/leadoff hitter without losing any prospects.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

I think Hanigan has the ability to be a solid major league catcher for ~120 games. We tend to think of him as a good backup catcher but I think he is more than that. Therefore IMO letting Ramon walk is the thing to do. Bring a guy like Corky back & tell Mes that he has to beat out Corky to make the team. If he does then that is great. Hanigan/Mes is a fine couple of catchers. Corky can go to AAA in case Mes stumbles. If Mes needs some more AAA time then we can go with Hanigan/Corky for the first couple of months until Mes is ready.

There is no reason to pay a few millions bucks to bring Ramon back. Worst case type scenario is that we have to play Corky once, occasionally twice, a week for the first couple of months of 2011.

As you point out the money saved could allow us to trade for a bat for left field. I agree with you on the cleanup hitter issue. Rolen is not a good cleanup guy for a playoff team. Better is...

Phillips (or Stubbs)
    Rolen
    Votto (L)
    Left fielder
    Bruce (L)
    Stubbs (or Phillips)
    Hanigan/Mes
    Janish/Cozart

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Or, the Reds could sign Coco Crisp for $2-4 million and gain a LF/leadoff hitter without losing any prospects.
    didn't the a's pick up his option

When I was looking on the "Top 50 Free Agents" on Yahoo Sports the other day, Crisp was just about the only guy I thought the Reds might take a long look at in free agency. Especially because of what Walt said the other day about a leadoff hitter. I still can't believe this team would be more focused on a guy like that than a power hitting left fielder, though. Phillips is a fine leadoff hitter at this point in his career, if for nothing more than the fact that he would not have the opportunity to hit into many double plays. I don't think this team is going to sign a free agent who has any chance of playing every day, if any free agent at all. Crisp seems like pure fantasy, and it is debatable that he even embodies what we need. But, I do think Walt is going to make some kind of trade. Few teams that are also projected to win are as loaded with as many tradable commodities as the Reds right now. This organization is absolutely reeking of value, both real and percieved. No GM could look at this situation without licking his chops, much less a legendary GM motivated to screw his former employer with an upstart team in the same division as his tormentor. This Reds team is ready to add/subtract and make the adjustments necessary to be extremely good for a number of years. Jocketty is the right GM for the times.
    Last edited by Phhhl; 11-07-2010 at 01:11 AM.

I'd like to see Mez start off in Louisville, and maybe bring him up in June if he plays well. I'd be okay with letting Hernandez walk and having Hanigan be the full time starter with Corky being the backup until Mez was ready.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    didn't the a's pick up his option
    Yep, he's still with Oakland for another year barring a trade.

I wouldn't really want Mesoraco to start in Cincinnati for a few reasons:

1) It would require protecting him (unnecessarily) on the 40-man roster, just to be a backup

2) His service would start accruing, just to be Hanigan's backup

3) His option clock (3 years from the date of first reporting) to use up his options would begin, meaning there's a chance the Reds wouldn't have the luxury of using those options if they need them in the future

I guess the theme here is that while he may (or may not) be ready by April to be on the big league club, unless he muscles his way into the starting role entirely, the Reds could do themselves a lot of favors by waiting until mid-season or August/September before purchasing his contract and calling him up.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post

1) It would require protecting him (unnecessarily) on the 40-man roster, just to be a backup

3) His option clock (3 years from the date of first reporting) to use up his options would begin, meaning there's a chance the Reds wouldn't have the luxury of using those options if they need them in the future

I guess the theme here is that while he may (or may not) be ready by April to be on the big league club, unless he muscles his way into the starting role entirely, the Reds could do themselves a lot of favors by waiting until mid-season or August/September before purchasing his contract and calling him up.
    I agree with mid-season on Mes. But I'd still go with Corky or some other cheap vet until Mes is ready. No way I'd pay Ramon $3 or $4 Million while other needs require the resources. Many are pointing to the Molina/Posey situation as a blueprint, but when the Reds dealt for Ramon he was a pricey guy who had defensive, offensive and health questions and not a solid established catcher like Molina was. Ramon at $4 Million may not be as easy to move as Molina was. It would have the effect of blocking Mes and possibly requiring the Reds pass on an improvement elsewhere.
    Last edited by mth123; 11-07-2010 at 07:51 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by Santo Alcala View Post
    Watching this kid tonight in the AFL All Star game, I feel pretty comfortable with the Reds giving him a share of the catching duties to open the season (with Hanigan getting the majority of the starts).
    Thanks for sharing. That's great to hear.
    So who do we get? Matt Kemp would be amazing. Are the Dodgers REALLY ready to give up on him? Their pitching staff is surprisingly thin, despite some dynamite at the top. I could see Los Angeles buying into Leake, Lecure or maybe even Maloney and Alonzo for Matt Kemp. I think I would move on any of those starters plus Yonder in that deal. If they stahled, I might even throw in Jordan Smith or Chris Valaika. The Dodgers are not going to bite unless it is major league ready talent, but the Reds are plush with that in any number of ways.
    I would love it if that happened. Buy low on Kemp.

If that failed, I might look at San Diego and Ryan Ludwick. I don't think Ludwick is a superstar by any stretch. But, in a ballpark like GAB, he could be the perfect catalyst hitting between Votto and Bruce. There is no doubt in my mind that Walt would love to capitolize on the Cardinals decision to give this guy away in a panic to pick him up and make his former employer pay.
    I'd be very happy with too.

We are on the precipice of greatness if the powers that be can take this team to the next level with a couple of brilliant postseason moves. Investing a little faith in drafting and player development, very similar to what the Giants did at a maniacal pace this season, is often what seperates the men from the boys in this game. But, there is a lot to be said for what a good GM can do at the poker table as well.
    Great overall post. I agree with everything you said. I'd love for the Reds to add one or two really good players and fill in the rest with what they already have. This would hopefully take them to the next level. I think this would be a lot better than adding a bunch of fringe players making $1.5 - $3.5 million.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

I too was very encouraged by what I saw from Mesoraco last night. Athletic behind the plate with what looked like solid receiving skills. We only saw the one errant throw to 2nd, so not sure what to think about that. He's got good energy back there. The bat looks potent. All in all, it makes me think, like others, that he should start getting used to the big leagues sometime in 2011.

There are so many possibilities surrounding the catching position in Cincy, you almost can't sort them out. But one issue bubbles to the surface for me: Hanigan and Mesoraco will never be a full-time platoon. Hanigan has shown too much, offensively and defensively, to be a caddy at this point. He's either going to inherit the job in Cincy (with Mesoraco traded and Grandal a couple years away), or he himself will be traded. And right now, Hanigan has a real good value.

Sabean handed his gold-plated staff over to a rookie. Then again, Frisco's a great place to pitch. Will the Reds be willing to ask the same of their staff? Huge call for Jocketty. And a have a feeling the answer will be.............no.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post

Simply, if Mesoraco is the best choice as a catcher (and he may be, though there are a ton of free agent options out there), despite the future cost, it's worth it, IMO.

1) If he hits as he did last season, Mesoraco would be just as good as Hernandez was, if not better. (It's doubtful Hernandez could continue to play that well.) Too, as a back-up, Baker can get him into games that should prove to boost his confidence against AAAA and BOR starters while getting his feet wet in the major leagues.

2) Really, there isn't a back-up at the catching spot. It's more of a platoon between two equally solid catchers. At this point, Hanigan and Mesoraco might be a really solid tandem.

3) Finally, if Mesoraco isn't all that good for three years at AAA, do you really want to waste a roster spot on him?

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    I too was very encouraged by what I saw from Mesoraco last night. Athletic behind the plate with what looked like solid receiving skills. We only saw the one errant throw to 2nd, so not sure what to think about that. He's got good energy back there. The bat looks potent. All in all, it makes me think, like others, that he should start getting used to the big leagues sometime in 2011.

There are so many possibilities surrounding the catching position in Cincy, you almost can't sort them out. But one issue bubbles to the surface for me: Hanigan and Mesoraco will never be a full-time platoon. Hanigan has shown too much, offensively and defensively, to be a caddy at this point. He's either going to inherit the job in Cincy (with Mesoraco traded and Grandal a couple years away), or he himself will be traded. And right now, Hanigan has a real good value.

Sabean handed his gold-plated staff over to a rookie. Then again, Frisco's a great place to pitch. Will the Reds be willing to ask the same of their staff? Huge call for Jocketty. And a have a feeling the answer will be.............no.
    Why wouldn't Hanigan and Mesoraco be a full time platoon? At least for a year? Who does it hurt? Hanigan gets rest, like he did in 2010, while Mesoraco gets his feet wet. Not only that, they would both likely be good seventh place hitters, Hanigan showing on-base skills and Mesoraco power.

Between them (again, if Mesoraco continues to hit as he did in 2010), you could see a line of 280/350/450 next season.

That sounds like a great platoon to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Simply, if Mesoraco is the best choice as a catcher (and he may be, though there are a ton of free agent options out there), despite the future cost, it's worth it, IMO.

1) If he hits as he did last season, Mesoraco would be just as good as Hernandez was, if not better. (It's doubtful Hernandez could continue to play that well.) Too, as a back-up, Baker can get him into games that should prove to boost his confidence against AAAA and BOR starters while getting his feet wet in the major leagues.

2) Really, there isn't a back-up at the catching spot. It's more of a platoon between two equally solid catchers. At this point, Hanigan and Mesoraco might be a really solid tandem.

3) Finally, if Mesoraco isn't all that good for three years at AAA, do you really want to waste a roster spot on him?
    Problem is, managing a roster isn't just about putting the best players there all the time. It's also a business, and I imagine if we did a cost analysis of the production Mesoraco would put up as a second string catcher, it's not worth the time (and service) he would be burning when he could be in AAA playing every day and improving his game further.

Why bring him up to be a backup? Yes, it's possible he could be better than Ramon Hernandez. But unless he's going to win the job outright, I don't think that alone is a good reason to start him in the majors.

I'm perfectly fine biding time with Corky Miller as a backup for 3-5 months. If Hanigan gets hurt, unfortunately the Reds might be forced to call Mesoraco into action. At least then it will be out of necessity.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Back-up schmack-up. It's a platoon. It was a platoon this season. It would have been a platoon the year before, had Hernanez been healthy all year. Mesoraco will play three times a week or more.

That should provide enough need to put him on the big club despite cost.

And, I really disagree that you don't put your best players on the major league club. Good teams do. The Reds may not have a few years ago, but they should now. (That said, talent does not equal best, and some guys need time in their respective spots at the AAA level.)

Turn Off Ads?