Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yonder Alonso as 3rd baseman?

Yonder Alonso as 3rd baseman?

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...k_cin&c_id=cin

Apparently he's getting some practice there with Rolen going to the DL

Personally, I like this idea. I've never been impressed with Francisco and think he's best used as part of a trade. The Reds need a third baseman for the future and Yonder has shown some good ability with the bat already. He's clearly more comfortable in the infield than outfield as well.

I can see Yonder hitting 4th or 5th while playing regularly at 3rd in 2012 with Frazier as his backup and Cairo coming off the bench to backup Votto at first.
    If evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Yonder Alonso as 3rd baseman?

Not a fan. Sending a guy from a position where range and arm strength are low priorities to one where they are necessities doesn't scream success to me, especially since Frazier has been performing and playing good defense to complement Cairo's production.

If Alonso is a bad enough left fielder, I simply don't see how transferring him to a more demanding position helps.

Quote Originally Posted by The DARK View Post
    Not a fan. Sending a guy from a position where range and arm strength are low priorities to one where they are necessities doesn't scream success to me, especially since Frazier has been performing and playing good defense to complement Cairo's production.

If Alonso is a bad enough left fielder, I simply don't see how transferring him to a more demanding position helps.
    You never know man, it doesn't hurt to try at this point to improve for next year since we have nothing else to play for.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Stupid idea. Guy has no defense whatsoever. Third Base is probably one of the hardest positions to learn.

I hate to say it, but Bautista for Votto is looking better all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by FireDusty View Post
    I just get the feeling that Votto is gonna bolt out of Cincy the very first chance he gets.....

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    I just get the feeling that Votto is gonna bolt out of Cincy the very first chance he gets.....
    true but i don't trade until final yr unless i get some1 like bautisa. never even thought it would be possible.

I want to see Yonder's bat in the Lineup. I don't mind seeing butcherboy plays at third... Encarnacion gave us so much of that during his lovely run.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Stupid idea. Guy has no defense whatsoever. Third Base is probably one of the hardest positions to learn.
    He started his career at 3'rd, was moved to first in college-twice. Doesnt state much for how good he was at 3'rd to be moved twice for other players (granted both are MLBers now), but he has experience playing there and said he feels thats his most comfortable position on the field.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

He's gotta be better than Edwin, right?

Stat geek...and proud
    Quote Originally Posted by wabashfalcon View Post
    He's gotta be better than Edwin, right?
    Not necessarily. Ed's problem was throwing. Yonder's problem is be runs like he has a piano on his back so his range would probably be terrible. You can't teach speed.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

He is trade bait and nothing more and that opportunity has gone. Walt and Dusty are now exposing the fact that he is nothing more that a first baseman and his value is headed the same way as the stock market. Should have packaged him and moved him when they had the chance.
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

Quote Originally Posted by FireDusty View Post
    Sure does. They should have made that happen. I like Votto but I like a winner more. Votto has 2 years left then he is gone so why not make the move. This team is better with Yonder in the line up in a position that doesn't create a liability.
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

Alonzo at third can be a good thing, this leaves left field open for Sappelt. Lots of solid bats in the line up.

If Alonso can pull off 3B, more power to him. But I just don't see him being a smaller liability at the hot corner than in LF.

Turn Off Ads?