Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 8/5/2011 Reds at Cubbies Matinee

8/5/2011 Reds at Cubbies Matinee

The lineups per Fay. I can't believe it! Frazier and Alonso in the lineup together. Someone besides Dusty must have made out the lineup card.
    Game is at 2:20 this afternoon from Wrigleyville.

Drew Stubbs 8
    Paul Janish 6
    Joey Votto 3
    Brandon Phillips 4
    Jay Bruce 9
    Ramon Hernandez 2
    Yonder Alonso 7
    Todd Frazier 5
    Mike Leake RHP
    Reds Fan Since 1971

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 8/5/2011 Reds at Cubbies Matinee

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    The lineups per Fay. I can't believe it! Frazier and Alonso in the lineup together. Someone besides Dusty must have made out the lineup card.
    No, it was Dusty. You can tell because the ss is hitting 2nd, even though said shortstop has no business hitting that high in the lineup.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    No, it was Dusty. You can tell because the ss is hitting 2nd, even though said shortstop has no business hitting that high in the lineup.
    That's a league wide rules isn't it? SS hit 2nd.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Worth The Wait

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    You obviously don't know much about baseball. The fastest guy on the team should always bat leadoff and the no-hit/good glove SS should always bat second. It's pretty obvious..

maybe we'll be lucky and get a chance to see Janish hit 4th this season?

Worth The Wait

If I could have a convo with Dusty this is how I think it would go:

Me: Why is Jansih hitting second?

Dusty: He handles the bat well and is a good guy to have after Stubbs.

Me: But Stubbs doesn't get on base.

Dusty: Have you seen him run? The guy has the best wheels in the game.

Me: Yes, I know. But he doesn't get on base.

Dusty: I am not sure how that is relevant.

Me: You do realize you have a guy leading off who has some power but doesn't get on base followed by the worst hitter in MLB?

Dusty: But Stubbs is fast and Janish handles the bat well.

Me: Yes, we've established that. But do you not see the fallacy in doing that considering the other factors you seem to ignore?

Dusty: Stubbs is fast and Janish handles the bat well.

Very funny.

If you guys have been watching - and I wouldn't criticize anyone for tuning out this ridiculous season - you've probably noticed that Janish has hit pretty well since he came up from AAA. So I have no problem hitting him second.

Frankly, I was disappointed that Edgar played the last game against the young Astros pitcher. Against a righty. Edgar should play against lefties. Period. He hits them well.

Against righties, Janish is the hotter hitter and a much better defender.

So I'm ok with Janish today, I'm ok hitting him second today.

On the other hand, I would not hit Hernandez sixth today. Hernandez has been cold. He doesn't look like the same player as from earlier this season. I would hit him eighth and hit Frazier sixth.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post

On the other hand, I would not hit Hernandez sixth today. Hernandez has been cold. He doesn't look like the same player as from earlier this season. I would hit him eighth and hit Frazier sixth.
    I would let Bruce Bochy bat Hernandez wherever he wants in the lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Yep...let Bochy at it!

In fact, could Walt include Dusty in that deal?
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    I agree.

Reds may have missed the boat on Ramon. He doesn't look that great to me right now. I don't know if he's tired, or just bored with this horrible situation, but he seems out of sync.

They should have traded him a few weeks ago.

Now, I doubt they get much for him, but they should just make the best deal they can and get it over with already.

P.S. The Reds may just be keeping Ramon because they want Mes to get as much AAA time in as possible. They may affirmatively want to KEEP him in AAA to get more practice before coming up to the majors. He is quite young.

FWIW, I'm concerned that the Reds may not promote Mes next spring. They may not trust him to handle their precious pitching staff until he is older.

Kc you may be right. But the danger in all of that, is that Ramon walks after the season and the team gets nothing in return. Yes, they could offer him arbitration, but that is a bad scenerio for the team because he could accept the arb, and that isn't what they need to happen.

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

I won't defend the batting second but he put up this line at Wrigley

.375 .459 .563 1.022

and no that is not a misprint. It is in 32 at bats though.

Heisey tweaked his left oblique Wednesday during batting practice. He's probably not available today.Good chance he goes on the DL. Fay speculating that Francisco or Hermida will get the call. Also they are talking surgery for Cozart's elbow. He's going to try to play through it and see how it works out. And so it goes.........

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...cozart-update/
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Stubbs is an above average lead off hitter.

His OBA of .331 is slightly above average but I'd prefer it to be at least .350.

Still, he had unwordly speed and base running ability, and is our best candidate for batting leadoff.

Plus, he works the pitchers in terms of pitch count, and his K's are largely rendered meaningless leading off.

FWIW, he ranks 2nd in the NL in runs scored this year.

Cubs lineup. Man what has happened to Colvin. I saw he was batting a crisp .124 this season.

Chi Cubs
    S. Castro ss
    T. Campana cf
    A. Ramirez 3b
    C. Pena 1b
    B. DeWitt 2b
    A. Soriano lf
    T. Colvin rf
    K. Hill c
    R. Dempster p
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Turn Off Ads?