Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 8/5/2011 Reds at Cubbies Matinee

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Re: 8/5/2011 Reds at Cubbies Matinee

Campana with an inside the park home run.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Apparently Alonso misplayed a ball for an inside the park HR. I have a feeling the Cubs are going to sweep this series.
    Hard liner that bounced down the line, hit the wall in foul territory and then took off past Alonso out to the track.

I am going to Chicago this weekend and I can't even convince my friends to pay $50 for a ticket. This team is struggling right now. Anyone have any suggestions of the best place to take in a game in Wrigleyville?

Ramirez doubles. 2-0 Cubs, none out with a runner on second.

I don't think I had seen a player misplay a ball that badly since I saw The Bad News Bears.

If I wasn't a Reds fans, I would be laughing my head off.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Leake paints the inside corner to get Pena looking. Still a runner on second, now one out.

The video of the "Home Run" is up on game day.
    http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index...meday&c_id=cin
    Ooh live look in in progress.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I don't think I had seen a player misplay a ball that badly since I saw The Bad News Bears.

If I wasn't a Reds fans, I would be laughing my head off.
    I won't go that far. The "misplay" wasn't all that bad. The fact that he stumbled after hitting the wall (and the ball was past him then) is what made you look bad, but it didn't change the play at all. I also am with the tv crew.... he isn't the only left fielder in baseball who plays that into a HR. Just a weird ricochet on that one because of the entire lack of foul ground there.

Poor kid his first time in Wrigley and he is just learning the position. While the first reaction is to be upset, it is a shame as he is a novice out there and looks kind of nervous.

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I won't go that far. The "misplay" wasn't all that bad. The fact that he stumbled after hitting the wall (and the ball was past him then) is what made you look bad, but it didn't change the play at all. I also am with the tv crew.... he isn't the only left fielder in baseball who plays that into a HR. Just a weird ricochet on that one because of the entire lack of foul ground there.
    Soriano would have played that to be a triple to start by just meeting the ball in the corner. Alonso wanted to limit it to two. Just caught a bad break on the bounce and came into the wall a little strong.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    The problem isn't with how he plays it off the wall, as that could happen to anyone. The problem is the horrible initial route he took to get to the ball. If he hadn't initially taken a path completely perpendicular to the ball's trajectory, there's a good chance he's able to get to the ball before it hits the wall. That's just something that will come with more experience in LF, though.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Poor kid his first time in Wrigley and he is just learning the position. While the first reaction is to be upset, it is a shame as he is a novice out there and looks kind of nervous.
    I think the novice part is the important part there. He played the angle of the hit well and he actually got to the point of fielding it in a quick manner. He just ran out of grass/dirt by about two feet.

Looks like Leake avoided any more trouble in the first.

Yonder leads off the second with a GO 4-3 and then Frazier pops up to short.

The Reds go 1-2-3 in the second as Leake grounds out 5-3.

The other salient point to bear in mind: Even if Alonso had cut off the ball before it hit the wall, we'd still be down 2-0 after Ramirez's double. So while this play wasn't that pretty, it didn't change one iota of the game.

Turn Off Ads?