Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Dear Bob Castellini

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Dear Bob Castellini

Here's a reminder, Bob:

CINCINNATI (AP) -- With Walt Jocketty, the question was when.

When would the Cincinnati Reds decide to switch general managers and give Jocketty the chance to turn them into winners?

The answer: 21 games into the season.

Off to their worst start in five years, the Reds fired Wayne Krivsky on Wednesday and replaced him with Jocketty, who built consistent winners during 10 seasons running the Oakland Athletics and 13 with the St. Louis Cardinals.

"We've just come to a point where we're not going to lose anymore," Reds owner Bob Castellini said emphatically.

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/mlb/stor...#ixzz1UAW6NGHJ
    Krivsky, who really wasn't doing a bad job, in a rebuilding situation, gets canned because "we're not going to lose anymore". Well.......I guess money and contracts talk because you don't have the guts to fire Dusty and Jacoby, even though they are failing miserably this season. And it's pretty clear that last year they overachieved in the weakest division in mlb.

And I'm not convinced that Dusty was Walt's choice, or that Walt really likes him as the manager of the Reds.

Nor am I convinced that Walt Jocketty is the answer at GM. He acquired Rolen. And?..........

Walt also gave a cup of tea to Corey Patterson, Willy Tavares, Hermida, Gomes, Lewis, OCab, Renteria...........retread city.

The previous couple of GM's probably did more for this current club than Walt has.

It's pretty obvious, Bob, that you really don't care if they lose or not. You showed some fire back in 2008, but you have none now. Dusty is the problem. Seriously, he is. And so is Jacoby. Bite the bullet on the contract, and make a change.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dear Bob Castellini

Completely agree but Bob isn't cruising around Redszone..... I'd love to come up with enough cash to take out a week long, full page ad in the Enquirer that simply contains Bob C's quote....
    SECOND PLACE DOESN'T CONCERN ME

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Jocketty is a good general manager - definitely better than Krivsky. I am thoroughly unimpressed by the job he's done this year but, by no means do I want to run him off.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

I don't want to run off Jocketty, but I think the non-action last offseason was part of the reason for the poor season so far. I blame Dusty's poor strategical in-game moves more than Walt's lack of moves, though.

I don't believe Castellini one bit...he cares about $$$ not winning.

The way he canned Krivsky caught me off guard.Despite the Volquez deal,which was a great idea at the time for the pitching starved Reds,he had us going in the right direction.B Cast wanted his old buddy Walt with him come hell or high water.

Bob gave Cincinnati the first playoff team in 15 years. He was the impetus behind what was considered a shortsighted move in trading for Rolen because he was tired of losing. He then invested $150MM in his team in the offseason. He's not trying to lose money, but he clearly cares alot about winning.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdale87 View Post
    Bob gave Cincinnati the first playoff team in 15 years. He was the impetus behind what was considered a shortsighted move in trading for Rolen because he was tired of losing. He then invested $150MM in his team in the offseason. He's not trying to lose money, but he clearly cares alot about winning.
    Yup. Great post.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdale87 View Post
    What has he done lately?

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    What has he done lately?
    Sat by idly while the Reds are playing like newborn baby giraffes on iceskates.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    Jocketty is a good general manager - definitely better than Krivsky. I am thoroughly unimpressed by the job he's done this year but, by no means do I want to run him off.
    Spot on.

And yes, Jocketty is light years ahead of Krivsky.

Ownership and the general manager are not the problems with this team right now.

Too many players who were counted to produce have simply shriveled up time after time.

And the manager has consistently made poor moves in close games. 16-26 in one run games is the killer, and strategic decisions have a huge outcome in those contests.

Post deleted due to masked profanity.
    Last edited by Johnny Footstool; 08-06-2011 at 02:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuff Nut View Post
    post deleted due to masked profanity
    No, it's not the failure of ownership/GM. They are not on the field making the decisions.

If management doesn't address these problems, then they will have a hand in it. But after winning last year, there was no reason not to support Baker into this season.
    Last edited by Johnny Footstool; 08-06-2011 at 02:36 PM.

I'll certainly take his style over what the man on the other end of the parking lot is doing.

It seemed like there was a reliance on the veterans continuing to produce, combined with improvement from the younger players. Hence, why not many moves were made this offseason. Of course, these things haven't happened, and here we sit with the current situation.

I am disappointed in this season, but as I look at the division going forward, I see the Brewers/Cards facing some major issues, and it will be awhile before the Astros and Cubs compete. The Pirates have that "team of the future" feel, but have more question marks than we do.

Turn Off Ads?