Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 82 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast

Thread: What am I listening to? (Part II)

Re: What am I listening to? (Part II)

I saw St. Vincent the night before at the Newport Music Hall in Columbus. I might be only 22 years old, but I've already been to dozens of concerts from The Who and U2 to M83, and Annie Clark set the bar very, very high in my personal gig continuum. She was phenomenal. What a great guitar player. (And she bodysurfed on top of me )

Your Lips Are Red - St Vincent Newport Music Hall 5/8/12 - YouTube
    She Is Beyond Good and Evil - St Vincent - YouTube

2. Turn Off Ads?
    rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MilotheMayor View Post
    I saw St. Vincent the night before at the Newport Music Hall in Columbus. I might be only 22 years old, but I've already been to dozens of concerts from The Who and U2 to M83, and Annie Clark set the bar very, very high in my personal gig continuum. She was phenomenal. What a great guitar player. (And she bodysurfed on top of me )

Your Lips Are Red - St Vincent Newport Music Hall 5/8/12 - YouTube
    She Is Beyond Good and Evil - St Vincent - YouTube
    Very jealous. I too was only feet from her during Krokodil.

He's really good.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

For an fans of either of these formats, please google "Radiohead and 8bit." You will be deeply rewarded with some ethereal nerdiness.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Noah Cover is amazing, and I normally don't like super polished voices. He's got a Roy Orbison thing going on with the surprise that comes from hearing that voice come from that guy.

La Dolce Vita

lovin' neil and crazy horse's "oh, susannah!" can't wait to share with my grand-toddlers
    teach tolerance.

Just heard Dr. Dog on Conan and immediately went online to download some of their music. Seems like I should have already been familiar with them.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

The new Japandroids album, Celebration Rock, will knock your socks off:

Japandroids - Younger Us - YouTube

Battles. Just got back from Bonnaroo, and Battles was mind-blowingly awesome. One of those bands that's never been able to capture the live magic on recordings (though Mirrored and Gloss Drop are great).

The War on Drugs were stupendous. Their sound was so much bigger and jammier at Bonnaroo. Same goes with Kurt Vile.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    St. Vincent was at Bogart's last week. Might've been the most electrifying performance I've ever seen live.
    It was the first time I saw Annie Clark live, and I couldn't agree more.

Other highlights: Flying Lotus, Danny Brown, Gary Clark, Jr., The Black Lips (always).

Also caught ?uestlove's drumstick from The Roots Saturday night set. Awesome time to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    Battles. Just got back from Bonnaroo, and Battles was mind-blowingly awesome. One of those bands that's never been able to capture the live magic on recordings (though Mirrored and Gloss Drop are great).

The War on Drugs were stupendous. Their sound was so much bigger and jammier at Bonnaroo. Same goes with Kurt Vile.

Other highlights: Flying Lotus, Danny Brown, Gary Clark, Jr., The Black Lips (always).

Also caught ?uestlove's drumstick from The Roots Saturday night set. Awesome time to say the least.
    I've only heard of Kurt Vile, Flying Lotus, The Roots, and The Black Lips, with the Lips being the only band I have in my collection. But considering you have pretty awesome tastes, I'm gonna have to check some of these bands out...

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post

Wow, I hadn't paid attention to Bonnaroo at all this year. That's quite a lineup. Kurt Vile is someone whom I dismissed for a long time as being Dark and Angsty, but he's grown on me so much. I think it was Peeping Tomboy that made me remember that Dark and Angsty done well is still really good. Great song.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    I've only heard of Kurt Vile, Flying Lotus, The Roots, and The Black Lips, with the Lips being the only band I have in my collection. But considering you have pretty awesome tastes, I'm gonna have to check some of these bands out...
    Ditto. Always enjoy your posts in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Wow, I hadn't paid attention to Bonnaroo at all this year. That's quite a lineup. Kurt Vile is someone whom I dismissed for a long time as being Dark and Angsty, but he's grown on me so much. I think it was Peeping Tomboy that made me remember that Dark and Angsty done well is still really good. Great song.
    Yeah, the little Kurt Vile I'd heard prior to Bonnaroo was pretty strummy. That wasn't the case last weekend. Him and his Violators rocked pretty hard.

I can't get over how both bands were so much bigger than on tape or I'd ever witnessed in the past.
    Last edited by BillDoran; 06-16-2012 at 09:41 PM.

Krispy Kreme. Not intentionally.I'm in a hotel room with someone playing it. I would have bated to have gone my whole life without hearing this.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

15. Likes:

coachpipe (02-13-2013)

New Blur song! All these bands are getting super-romantic in their old age.

Blur: Under The Westway (official lyric video) - YouTube
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Silver Jews.

I had tried getting into them in the past (huge Pavement fan), but never could really figure it out. Then, snap, two weeks ago it hit me. Now I can't listen to anything but American Water and Starlite Walker.

I've never enjoyed a lyricist more than David Berman. Just about every song, save the obvious Malkmus songs, have a really poignant line or two that really resonate for me. So much so, that I'm considering what I once thought unthinkable, picking up Berman's turn of the millennium book of poetry (I swore off poetry after undergrad).

Turn Off Ads?