Turn Off Ads?
Page 30 of 82 FirstFirst ... 202627282930313233344080 ... LastLast

Thread: What am I listening to? (Part II)

Re: What am I listening to? (Part II)

You're breaking my 16 year old heart, VP.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    http://www.bcb-board.co.uk/phpBB2/index.php

It's a British site but there are a lot of Yanks and others on there. Little too much into Prog-Rock for me but a good bunch anyhow.
    Board looks like its all over the place, but this thread is dazzling:

http://www.bcb-board.co.uk/phpBB2/vi...846241&start=0

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    You're breaking my 16 year old heart, VP.
    I hold a special place in my heart for any music that captures the fancy of a 16-year-old. Even if I like some of it more than others.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Loathe. LOATHE.

A preening, showy, inauthentic singer paired with a drummer of very little skill.

Julian Casablancas, on the other hand, can write a pop song like nobody's business with very little artifice about it. The Strokes were a pop band plain and simple, an excellent one, and that those two bands were so frequently mentioned in the same breath always boggled my mind.
    I suppose we can agree to disagree. I think "preening" and "showy" describe some of the best rock frontmen to ever do it, dating from Mick Jagger to Robert Pollard to Pelle Almqvist (indulge me). I suppose we have divergent tastes, as I love the stripped down nature of two-piece bands. There's no hiding, both parts need to stand up, and I think Meg's restrained (unskilled?) drumming complements Jack's virtuosity (overwrought-ness?) nicely.

Love The Strokes too, but strangely enough, I find the instrumentation wonderful and Casablancas supremely lacking. I remember taking note early on that he couldn't even write enough lyrics for their 3-minute songs, he'd just flip the lyrics over at the halfway point (hardly a new trick, I know), but when Julian sang, "I've got nothing to say" over and over again on "Ask Me Anything," I thought, "I know, Julian. I know."

6. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (05-12-2014)

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

I love when people debate music. You guys are getting me in the mood to bash Pavement and Radiohead.

Raisor loves that...

I love both Midnite Vultures and Sea Change; they're easily my two favorite Beck albums in fact. What does that do to your algorithm?

I don't know what you mean by the "authenticity game" exactly. Sometimes people just like what they like. I am more into music than just about anything else, probably, but I really balk at the accusation of being a snob or an assumption that whatever I happen to like or not like comes from anything but a place of sincerity. Modren garage rock, "fantastic, always"? I worship the Strokes, loathe the White Stripes. I can specify reasons why if asked, but it's really just a matter of taste.
    I love Midnite Vultures, but never really got into Sea Change. I prefer Beck's more upbeat, dancy music, where he blends pop, electronic, funk, etc.
    On the flip side, Debra and Cancelled Check might be my two favorite songs of his.
    Last edited by OGB; 05-14-2014 at 09:55 PM.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

9. Likes:

Rojo (05-16-2014)

alternating between the scores for Frozen and Fiddler on the Roof. if I were a rich man...let it go...
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

I've been listening to Langhorne Slim's The Way We Move a lot for the better part of a year. It's one of those rare albums where I love every single track. It's an elegantly crafted piece of folk music that appeals to people who love all types of different genres of music.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

They call me "chef"

The Wild Ones' debut Keep It Safe is magnificent and a great example of how keyboards and electronic sounds can compliment an indie pop band's songs without turning them into 21st century disco dance tracks.

I don't understand the fascination with indy. . .they're almost as homogeneous as power metal.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

I've never understood the Authentic vs. Inauthentic argument. The only truly inauthentic band I can think of is Milli Vanilli. After that, I'm not sure what the term means. Was Dylan inauthentic? He loved fabricating stories about himself and making his early life more quirky. As for the White Stripes, maybe Jack White is a strutting, preening guy. If so, isn't he being very authentic to who he is? To give a baseball example, if Yasiel Puig starting acting like David Eckstein, I would lose interest. If Votto starting acting like Carlos Gomez, I would be skeptical. Authenticity is one of those music terms that gets thrown around and I'm not sure we know exactly what it means and very often have no way of proving it.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    I've never understood the Authentic vs. Inauthentic argument. The only truly inauthentic band I can think of is Milli Vanilli. After that, I'm not sure what the term means. Was Dylan inauthentic? He loved fabricating stories about himself and making his early life more quirky. As for the White Stripes, maybe Jack White is a strutting, preening guy. If so, isn't he being very authentic to who he is? To give a baseball example, if Yasiel Puig starting acting like David Eckstein, I would lose interest. If Votto starting acting like Carlos Gomez, I would be skeptical. Authenticity is one of those music terms that gets thrown around and I'm not sure we know exactly what it means and very often have no way of proving it.
    To me it's a very intangible thing and probably 100% a question of taste. Therefore unquantifiable and hard to use as holding real weight in any argument.

It's particularly hard for me because I actually do like showmen, and have strong feelings about the need for stylized affects in all art forms (I hammer this home to students all the time, believe it or not). I think in the case of Jack White it may be the disconnect between his words and his stage presence -- particularly his citing of the blues as his major influence, as mentioned before. That really rubbed me the wrong way. As affected as he was as a performer in that band, it veered (to me) as so pretentious as to be almost making fun of the blues. He also really made a strong effort to talk himself up as such a serious musician, as someone beholden to and driven by music above all else...and then he had that ridiculous little sideshow sibling story going...and going and going and going. That struck me as totally disingenuous and tired.

It could also have been a question of timing. The White Stripes exploded at a time when garage rock was enjoying a renaissance, and for them of all bands to be cited at that time as the best and most accessible...well, it just seemed to me that they had the best publicist or whatever. They were fine, I can see how the stripped-down musical aesthetic was appealing, but their songs were not THAT good. If they were to hit now, and not be the victims of such extraordinary publicity as hailed as the saviors of rock or whatever, I might like them better.

I have not minded Jack White in his other bands. As I said before, I think he is talented. It was the whole package of The White Stripes that never gelled for me.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord View Post
    I don't understand the fascination with indy. . .they're almost as homogeneous as power metal.
    What's exactly indy though?

The Twee sound? The sloppy sound? The Noisepop sound? The banjo scene? Wounded singer songwriter? Powerpop?

Lots of labels out there, for pretty much anything.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

To me it's a very intangible thing and probably 100% a question of taste. Therefore unquantifiable and hard to use as holding real weight in any argument.

It's particularly hard for me because I actually do like showmen, and have strong feelings about the need for stylized affects in all art forms (I hammer this home to students all the time, believe it or not). I think in the case of Jack White it may be the disconnect between his words and his stage presence -- particularly his citing of the blues as his major influence, as mentioned before. That really rubbed me the wrong way. As affected as he was as a performer in that band, it veered (to me) as so pretentious as to be almost making fun of the blues. He also really made a strong effort to talk himself up as such a serious musician, as someone beholden to and driven by music above all else...and then he had that ridiculous little sideshow sibling story going...and going and going and going. That struck me as totally disingenuous and tired.

It could also have been a question of timing. The White Stripes exploded at a time when garage rock was enjoying a renaissance, and for them of all bands to be cited at that time as the best and most accessible...well, it just seemed to me that they had the best publicist or whatever. They were fine, I can see how the stripped-down musical aesthetic was appealing, but their songs were not THAT good. If they were to hit now, and not be the victims of such extraordinary publicity as hailed as the saviors of rock or whatever, I might like them better.

I have not minded Jack White in his other bands. As I said before, I think he is talented. It was the whole package of The White Stripes that never gelled for me.
    I love people who love music. I do.

This is just a great post, because only someone who loves music could write it.

It's why I love bashing bands I hate- even if I end up liking them later like Dylan, Zeppelin, Nirvana (I think it's something against rabid fan bases). It's an absolute joy piecing together an "argument" that is subjectively based...and when you can't come up with a concrete idea, you just say "Radiohead sounds like someone took a lawnmower and played it against a violin."

There's a little record store clerk in all of us.

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    I've never understood the Authentic vs. Inauthentic argument.
    This can pretty simply be characterized as Art vs. Commerce for me...

19. Likes:

BillDoran (05-15-2014)

Turn Off Ads?