Turn Off Ads?
Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334 LastLast

Thread: What am I listening to? (Part II)

Re: What am I listening to? (Part II)

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    I like rock organs (like Elvis Costello), I like bands who used alot of drugs (almost all of them), and I like insufferable guys like Jim Morrison (too many to name, but everything I've ever heard about John Lennon seems to fit this category) and yet I don't like the Doors. Is that rational? No. Is my feeling real? Yes.
    Although I love the Doors, I know what you're talking about. I should like the Violent Femmes. But hate them for some reason. I think they were just too College Radio for me. (College radio -- wiki it, kids).
    The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner; a perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging in the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract the third nettle and call it rent. ~ Carlyle

2. Likes:

westofyou (05-16-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    You can't really back up an opinion on music to someone who doesn't agree.

Because I'll tell you Taylor Swift is the best pop song writer of the past decade, you'll tell me no way, but then you'll heap praise on "Call Me Maybe."

It's why it's so much fun. You can't really lose an argument on music- you put it out there why you like it and because it's subjective, it can't lose.

I'll tell you Jimmy Page is the best guitarist of all time. Someone else may say Hendrix. Sammy Hagar in Van Halen didn't bother me. I may only like half of Bob Dylan's stuff but I think that qualifies him as a top 5 artist. For being a boy band, Hanson wasn't half bad. I love Nirvana, I think they benefit from Cobain's death. Nobody ever got to see the decline, which is a big deal. I have Radiohead*,Pavement and Dinosaur Jr. songs on my ipod, I like them, and I think their fans are insufferable.

And none of what I just said can be defeated with any type of logic that I have to bow to.

These threads are great because it shows the power that music holds over us. I just got back from an elementary school talent show where the entire school was singing along with the performances. I had goosebumps seeing a little girl singing Joan Jett (honestly, is there anyone cooler?)....another girl sang "Let it Go." Rihanna, that "Happy" song....and we're all in this little auditorium singing along.

And here we are in this tread debating and sharing our tastes. It brings us together. It's my "baseball" anymore. I have it on at my desk, my workouts, the car....it's everywhere and I love it. And I love to see this board talk about it, too.

Great thread.

*For you Walking Dead fans, Norman Reedus is in the "Fake Plastic Trees" video. That is cool.
    I saw Joan Jett open for the Police in 1981

I saw L7 blow the doors off the arena and then saw Nirvana slog through their last album after... L7 was amazing

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post

I saw L7 blow the doors off the arena and then saw Nirvana slog through their last album after... L7 was amazing
    Joan Jett is awesome.

They call me "chef"

Going back a few posts to the "indy" question...Indie can mean anything these days. To me, indie means rock, pop, and folk bands that are usually on a smaller label and/or have the freedom to experiment beyond the radio-ready demands of mainstream artists.

However, if you ask Spotify or most magazines these days, "indie" means electronic gimmicky pop music that is as derivative and homogenized as the mainstream pop acts or (often electronic) folk-y music like Bastille and Mumford and Sons. Basically, it's all about electronic dance-y music right now, even when it comes to folk and rock music.
    Cincinnati Reds 2014 W-L Record: 76.6-85.4*

Cincinnati Reds 2015 W-L Record: TBA

*UPDATED: 2/11/2014

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post

L7 were like a LOOGY...limited repertoire but in the right venue, they're really,really good at what they do throw at you.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    Going back a few posts to the "indy" question...Indie can mean anything these days. To me, indie means rock, pop, and folk bands that are usually on a smaller label and/or have the freedom to experiment beyond the radio-ready demands of mainstream artists.

However, if you ask Spotify or most magazines these days, "indie" means electronic gimmicky pop music that is as derivative and homogenized as the mainstream pop acts or (often electronic) folk-y music like Bastille and Mumford and Sons. Basically, it's all about electronic dance-y music right now, even when it comes to folk and rock music.
    If you have a banjo you're in, paraphrasing Mick Marrs.

Cruachan-A Celtic Legacy

one of the better greatest hits albums to come out in metal. pioneers of folk metal.

"Some Say the Devil is Dead"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssjsfuVzhIs

"Ride On"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fNJSUSY4Ig

"Little Timmy Scumbag"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JBlLxuCNrY

"Bloody Sunday"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbbHve7ZB4A
    Last edited by Ravenlord; 05-19-2014 at 03:31 PM.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

I've been reading up lately on Led Zeppelin's dubious history with plagiarism and it is discouraging. There are some interesting compilations on YouTube with selections of Zeppelins music and the songs they came from. Some are questionable (coming from someone who isn't a music expert), but some are almost one for one copies. Apparently the biggest problem is that Zeppelin didn't credit anyone and pay royalties for using their words/music (like the Stones did). It is really disappointing as someone who has long liked Zeppelin.
    Last edited by improbus; 05-20-2014 at 08:52 PM.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    I've been reading up lately on Led Zeppelin's dubious history with plagiarism and it is discouraging. There are some interesting compilations on YouTube with selections of Zeppelins music and the songs they came from. Some are questionable (coming from someone who isn't a music expert), but some are almost one for one copies. Apparently the biggest problem is that Zeppelin didn't credit anyone and pay royalties for using their words/music (like the Stones did). It is really disappointing as someone who has long liked Zeppelin.
    Where have you been my man?

I'm listening to the Afghan Whigs record and it's not the least bit disappointing, IMO. I'm quite a Dulli fan boy though, I admit.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post

I'm listening to the Afghan Whigs record and it's not the least bit disappointing, IMO. I'm quite a Dulli fan boy though, I admit.

I think it's great. Love me some whigs ever since I saw them at the Union in Athens for $3 in 1989.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm old.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post

Tis good, saw them last year and have tickets to see them in August

I'm older

I've been listening to the new Ray Lamontaigne, but I feel guilty about it. It's like listening to the stuff I grew up with in the seventies, but pretending I'm hip.

Having said that, I'm really enjoying it.
    Last edited by marcshoe; 05-26-2014 at 01:18 PM.

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Choo got it, dude.

16. Likes:

Dom Heffner (05-27-2014)

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

I love old-school emo

"On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

18. Likes:

BillDoran (06-05-2014)

Three new(ish) albums in heavy rotation: Parquet Courts - Sunbathing Animal, Papercuts - Life Among the Savages, The War on Drugs - Lost in the Dream.

20. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (06-05-2014), Larry Schuler (06-09-2014)

Turn Off Ads?