Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cozart Injury Update

Cozart Injury Update

From John Fay:

"COZART UPDATE: Zack Cozart was going to take regular batting practice today for the first time since hyper-extending his left elbow...

“I took soft toss today,” he said. “It was OK, not great. But I want to take BP and see. I’m trying to get used to this brace.

Surgery is often used to repair injuries like Cozart’s.

“I don’t know if I can avoid,” he said. “I’m trying to finish the season. It’s feeling better than it was.”

Cozart still may face surgery in the offseason."

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Cozart Injury Update

I have hyper extended my elbow. Did it when I was 16 (now 27). Didn't have surgery, but for a few weeks I didn't do much with that arm. Like Cozart, it was my glove arm. To this day I still think I should have opted for the surgery at some point. When I lock my elbow out, the strength isn't there and the idea of actually placing weight on my arm when my elbow is locked out is simply out of the question.

Cowboy just said on the radio, if Cozart is destined to be our SS of the future, why not:

1) Put him on 60-day DL, and do surgery now if it's unavoidable
    2) Keep SS position as it currently is with Renteria/Janish

Meanwhile, with Heisey now hurt indefinitely (strained oblique), why not:

1) Put Heisey on 15-day DL
    2) Call up Juan Francisco to play 3rd
    3) Put Todd Frazier in mix at LF

Thoughts? He said something about bringing Sappelt up to play LF, but I can't remember which scenario it was under.

-Matt

Why don't you just play Alonso in LF and Frazier at 3rd base?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Why don't you just play Alonso in LF and Frazier at 3rd base?
    Well if Heisey is down as well, that really limits our options to two LH hitters in LF (Alonso, Lewis). Frazier can provide a nice RH hitting option in LF, while giving Francisco an opportunity at 3rd.

Francisco is left handed too lol.

Just play Alonso everyday in LF. He's the best hitter of the bunch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by mattfeet View Post
    Well if Heisey is down as well, that really limits our options to two LH hitters in LF (Alonso, Lewis). Frazier can provide a nice RH hitting option in LF, while giving Francisco an opportunity at 3rd.
    Isn't Francisco injured? I thought he tore his meniscus or something. Time Sappelt gets his chance anyhow.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Cowboy just said on the radio, if Cozart is destined to be our SS of the future, why not:

1) Put him on 60-day DL, and do surgery now if it's unavoidable
    2) Keep SS position as it currently is with Renteria/Janish

Meanwhile, with Heisey now hurt indefinitely (strained oblique), why not:

1) Put Heisey on 15-day DL
    2) Call up Juan Francisco to play 3rd
    3) Put Todd Frazier in mix at LF

Thoughts? He said something about bringing Sappelt up to play LF, but I can't remember which scenario it was under.

-Matt
    Wait...when did Heisey get hurt?!?

I forgot Francisco was LH as well. D'oh!

-Matt

Francisco is expected to be recalled to Louisville from his rehab any day now.

Heisey got hurt during BP on Wednesday. Strained oblique. JOhn Fay/Cowboy are saying he should be put on 15-day DL since that's such a nagging injury.

-Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Isn't Francisco injured? I thought he tore his meniscus or something. Time Sappelt gets his chance anyhow.
    He's been rehabbing for the past week or so. He'll probably be coming up to L'ville this week I'd think.

Francisco is expected to be recalled to Louisville from his rehab any day now.

Heisey got hurt during BP on Wednesday. Strained oblique. JOhn Fay/Cowboy are saying he should be put on 15-day DL since that's such a nagging injury.

-Matt
    Thanks Matt. I'd missed that.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Why are we platooning Alonso? He hit lefties better this past season in Louisville than he did righties.

Just stating what I heard, not necessarily what I agree with.

-Matt

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Wow.. i didn't think it was that bad. Yikes.. I guess we are stuck with Renteria and Janish for the rest of the season. I hope he elects to do surgery now and be ready to go by '12 spring training.

Would like to see a Francisco call up and play 3rd aswell as I would like to see Frazier and Alonso platoon in LF. Season is lost and we need to really think about what we have inhouse before we wget our hopes up this offseason.

Turn Off Ads?