Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Isn't Sappelt the next logical callup...?

Isn't Sappelt the next logical callup...?

... if Heisey has a legitimate strained oblique, he is going to be out for a month at least, if not longer. A platoon of Alonso and Lewis, both left handed hitters, makes no sense at all.

I have seen no indication this is going to be "the move", but I want to stand up and be counted for it right now. Sappelt is hitting .317 or thereabouts at the time of this post, with a very high .obp. Sure, his "counting stats" are not all that great, but all the guy has ever done has hit at every level.

I would like to see Sappelt hitting leadoff and starting at least 70% of the time in the remaining ballgames, playing defensively between left and center fields. I would also like to see Yonder get the majority of the time Sappelt leaves him in left, while spelling Joey occasionally. Lewis should be relegated to pinch hitting duty ONLY, and Stubbs should be in the lower third of the batting order the remainder of the season.
    Last edited by Phhhl; 08-06-2011 at 02:08 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Isn't Sappelt the next logical callup...?

Sappelt isn't on the 40 man roster. While there are some guys there that could easily be removed (Negron and Valaika), I am not sure the Reds are going to make a move like that.

There are only 38 players on the 40 man right now, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    There are only 38 players on the 40 man right now, so that shouldn't be an issue.
    If that is true, then that is what I get for assuming that Fay was correct. He posted this afternoon that the Reds were at 40 on the 40 man.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    Fyi Matt Maloney and Jared Burton are soon rejoining the 40-man roster.

Burton's only had a couple of games with the AZL Reds, I'd imagine he's not coming back anytime soon. A healthy Sappelt would take priority over Burton, who's not going to be major league ready for quite a while yet.

Who care's 2011 is done...walt's still sitting on his hands!

Quote Originally Posted by Santo Alcala View Post
    ... if Heisey has a legitimate strained oblique, he is going to be out for a month at least, if not longer. A platoon of Alonso and Lewis, both left handed hitters, makes no sense at all.

I have seen no indication this is going to be "the move", but I want to stand up and be counted for it right now. Sappelt is hitting .317 or thereabouts at the time of this post, with a very high .obp. Sure, his "counting stats" are not all that great, but all the guy has ever done has hit at every level.

I would like to see Sappelt hitting leadoff and starting at least 70% of the time in the remaining ballgames, playing defensively between left and center fields. I would also like to see Yonder get the majority of the time Sappelt leaves him in left, while spelling Joey occasionally. Lewis should be relegated to pinch hitting duty ONLY, and Stubbs should be in the lower third of the batting order the remainder of the season.

I hadn't heard about this! Anybody have more information? (Though this does make sense of the curious move of using Heisey to PR for Alonso, but then not using him as a defensive replacement in LF.)

My guess is that if it is bad enough to put Heisey on the DL, then they might simply activate Cozart from the DL on Monday.

Edit: Never mind. I saw in the Cozart Injury Update thread that Zack might not be ready by Monday. I also got an explanation on the Heisey injury.
    Last edited by Big Klu; 08-06-2011 at 03:12 AM.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Rolen could be transferred to 60 day DL aswell. I got to believe Mesoraco will be placed on the roster by Sept. 1st

To your point, if Heisey is out, then yes, I think we need to get Sappelt up here now.

Should of broke camp with the club really but yeah definitely IMO. Will probably be Juan Francisco though because that is typical.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Why just consider Sappelt?

Jeremy Hermida: .309/.392/.500 for an OPS of .892, with 13 HRs. (Age 27)
    Dave Sappelt: .313 /.377/.458 for an OPS of .834, with 7 HRs. (Age 24)
    Devin Mesoraco: .301/.373.491 for an OPS of .863, with 11 HRs. (Age 23)
    Juan Francisco: .302 /.332/.537 for an OPS of .868, with 11 HRs. (Age 24)

It's nice to see that even after calling up Cozart, Alonso, and Frazier, we still have some good hitters at AAA Louisville.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson View Post
    Why just consider Sappelt?

Jeremy Hermida: .309/.392/.500 for an OPS of .892, with 13 HRs. (Age 27)
    Dave Sappelt: .313 /.377/.458 for an OPS of .834, with 7 HRs. (Age 24)
    Devin Mesoraco: .301/.373.491 for an OPS of .863, with 11 HRs. (Age 23)
    Juan Francisco: .302 /.332/.537 for an OPS of .868, with 11 HRs. (Age 24)

It's nice to see that even after calling up Cozart, Alonso, and Frazier, we still have some good hitters at AAA Louisville.
    The order of delivery is less important, except to fuel Redszone threads. Main point is that Reds need to replace Hernandez and Lewis on the roster along with injured Heisey and add
    kids. That's three spots that should be made available pronto.

Francisco mashes RHP which Reds need and should platoon at third. Mes should be getting major league reps. And IMO Sappelt should be getting playing time all over the outfield, including CF where Stubbs could use some time off.

Cairo is signed for next year and Renteria will stay because of Cozart injury. So they likely will stay for the duration.

So IMO three guys can come up in August, then more when rosters expand in September.
    Last edited by Kc61; 08-06-2011 at 09:46 AM.

They're not going to call up a 3rd catcher (Mesoraco) at this stage. Maybe when the roster expands in Sept.

Yonder's splits vs L/R are both pretty good. Play him. Isn't that why he's here? Let Lewis be his back-up.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    They're not going to call up a 3rd catcher (Mesoraco) at this stage. Maybe when the roster expands in Sept.
    Who said they were?

Turn Off Ads?