Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Birthdays- 8/6

Birthdays- 8/6

Reds (starting with a couple of really obscure ones):

Justin Germano (29)

Keith Mitchell (42)

Stan Belinda (45)

Sherry Magee
    - He's not in the Hall of Fame, but he has career numbers better than some who are. Kind of a Vada Pinson-ish player.

Others:

Victor Zambrano (36) -Traded for Scott Kazmir in a much-criticized deal.

Bob Horner (54) -One of my least-favorite players.

Ron Davis (56) -I didn't know that Ron, the ex-Cub reliever, was the father of Ike Davis of the Mets. Did everyone else know that but me?

Ken Phelps (57) - Has, in recent years, become the poster boy for overlooked talent. Isn't it kind of a contradiction when you're famous for being overlooked?

Andy Messersmith (66)

Clem Labine- One of the "Boys of Summer".

Blackie Schwamb - His career was very short, and I don't know anything about him, but when you run across a name like "Blackie Schwamb" you just gotta include it. Maybe I'll start including the silliest name of the day in these posts.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Birthdays- 8/6

I didn't know that about Ike Davis, but it makes sense when you look at those two guys.

Ron Davis reminds me of one of my favorite Harry Carry quotes.

"Today the Cubs traded George Frazier and Ray Fontenot to the Twins for Ron Davis. I think the Cubs got the better end of the deal because they traded two terrible pitchers and only got one terrible pitcher back."
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

Bob Horner was a bigtime college player who went straight to the major leagues from college. He had a ton on injuries that kept him from being a great player at the MLB level. He had great power but just couldn't put it all together.

Andy Messersmith was one of the players that paved the road for MLB free agency. He along with Dave McNally won a lawsuit against MLB over their contracts and were awarded free agency. I don't remember the details but soon after they won MLB owners started giving in on the free agency issue to the players union.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Andy Messersmith was one of the players that paved the road for MLB free agency. He along with Dave McNally won a lawsuit against MLB over their contracts and were awarded free agency. I don't remember the details but soon after they won MLB owners started giving in on the free agency issue to the players union.
    MLB contracts stated that they could be renewed "for one year" at the previous salary at the option of the team.
    Messersmith and McNally didn't sign contracts, their teams renewed and after the season (I think it was 75), they sued for free agency claiming that "for one year" meant "ONLY for one year". They won in court.

That opened up a can of worms, effectively killed the reserve clause and put free agency on the table for MLB-union negotiations.

At least that's how I remember it.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

I believe you are correct UP. I couldn't remember exactly how that all went down.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    MLB contracts stated that they could be renewed "for one year" at the previous salary at the option of the team.
    Messersmith and McNally didn't sign contracts, their teams renewed and after the season (I think it was 75), they sued for free agency claiming that "for one year" meant "ONLY for one year". They won in court.

That opened up a can of worms, effectively killed the reserve clause and put free agency on the table for MLB-union negotiations.

At least that's how I remember it.
    My brother was a lifelong Dodger fan but always held Messersmith in contempt for his part in this episode. He (my brother) felt that this 'turning point' changed baseball forever, but not for the better.

I missed a Red a year ago:

Jim Turner -Won 20 games as a 33-year-old rookie in 1937...Pitched for the 1940 world champion Reds...Later a pitching coach for the Reds under Fred Hutchinson...Nicknamed "Milkman Jim" because that was his off-season job.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Bob Horner was a bigtime college player who went straight to the major leagues from college. He had a ton on injuries that kept him from being a great player at the MLB level. He had great power but just couldn't put it all together.
    Bob also spent a year in his prime playing for the Yakult Swallows after no MLB team would meet his asking price. Robert Whiting chronicles some of the experiences in his book You Gotta Have Wa which I recently started re-reading.

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    I missed a Red a year ago:

Jim Turner -Won 20 games as a 33-year-old rookie in 1937...Pitched for the 1940 world champion Reds...Later a pitching coach for the Reds under Fred Hutchinson...Nicknamed "Milkman Jim" because that was his off-season job.
    And was nicknamed the "Chicken Colonel" by Jim Bouton in Ball Four. If that's the same Jim Turner.

I remember Victor Zambrano with the Rays. I was at a game at Yankee Stadium, must have been June 18, 2003, based on his pitching game log. He pitched 8 innings of two hit ball and I thought he was excellent. So when the Mets traded Kazmir for Zambrano, I thought it was potentially a good deal.

Of course, Mets fans look back at the deal with disgust. Even at the time there were warning signs, as Zambrano walked a lot of people pre-trade with the Rays. Of course, the Mets were in a pennant race, were looking for an experienced pitcher, and were concerned that Kazmir lacked a projectable body type. Kazmir had some very good years in th A.L., but had injuries and now is apparently with the Sugar Land Skeeters of the Atlantic League.
    Last edited by Kc61; 08-06-2012 at 04:48 PM.

Turn Off Ads?