Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Great Article by Doc

Great Article by Doc

http://news.cincinnati.com/comments/...lay-youngsters

Paul Daugherty with a spot-on description of the Reds season. It's sad, but true. I agree with everything in it. I'd really, really like to hear what Walt and Bob would say about some of the topics in this piece.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Great Article by Doc

Agree, good find.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Read it in the paper this morning. I pretty much agree with it.

First time I've seen a finger pointed at Dusty.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Good article. Page needs to be turned. Watching this team this year has been like trying to read while falling asleep.

They might sell more tix by playing the young guys too, who knows.

Hit the nail right on the head.
    Where we gonna go?

Yeah, this has been a frustrating year. It's the first time I've been genuinely disappointed in a decade because I thought this team should be better than it is. I never thought any of the 2000s team were really any good to begin with.

I can place my finger on it, but something was just off. They seemed to be better than their record. They were losing games but didn't seem to be playing "bad". It seems like they were losing game after game that left you wondering how they lost. Last year they seemed to lose very few games they should have won.

They sit 9.5 games behind Milwaukee but actually have a better run differential than them. Prior to yesterday's debacle the Reds still had a +41 differential. Yet they are 5 games below. Something was missing from this year's team.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

When it comes to baseball, I almost never agree with Doc, but I do this time.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

i agree 100%. there is no need at this point to see lewis, edgar and razor play anymore. call up the young guns and give them a shot now. it may make for more interesting baseball.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    When it comes to baseball, I never agree with Doc, but I do this time.
    Ditto.

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    Hit the nail right on the head.
    Yup. Great article. Hopefully someone in the FO read this and feels the same...

...and does something about it.

Really bad team right now. They need to start right now to build for next year; I'm not sure Dusty's the guy to be able to do that.

Meh. Most of it was the same old story..."grumble grumble clutch hitting...grumble grumble lack of consistency...grumble grumble manager has to be better...grumble grumble free up cash."

I thought he was way off base in questioning whether it is worth it to pay "a second baseman" $12 million, especially in the same paragraph in which he praised Brandon Phillips and said the Reds should pick up his option. Brandon Phillips is a 2-win player. You don't pay $12 million for 2 wins, regardless of the position.

I do, however, agree with the *obvious* assertion that it's time to let the youngsters play.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Turn Off Ads?