Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: future closer

future closer

Is he currently on our roster, and if not, who would be a good fit here for the right price?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: future closer

I'm not opposed to giving Ondrusek a try at closer. He's been rough recently, but he's had a pretty good year overall. Same thing with Bray. I was really hoping Masset would be the guy, but he just hasn't been consistent enough this year. I think ultimately it will be Boxberger, but I don't know if he'll be ready at the start of next season. I'm very opposed to spending a lot of money on a closer, especially on a smaller market team, so I'm hoping they go with somebody in house.

I like the Bronson Arroyo ideal.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    I like the Bronson Arroyo ideal.
    I see some of the arguments for Arroyo. But I also think he gives up a lot of home runs to be a closer.

What about Bray? I would be in favor of using someone in the system rather than payimg for a free agent to replace Coco. We have lost so many games this year because of the middle relief, it shows that you need a good all around bullpen.

Quote Originally Posted by Roush's socks View Post
    I see some of the arguments for Arroyo.
    Like what? I can't even think of ONE.

Quote Originally Posted by mlh1981 View Post
    Is he currently on our roster, and if not, who would be a good fit here for the right price?
    I am hoping they don't pay a lot for a closer, if at all. They would be overpaying for a title again, like Cordero.

I don't think Bray or Ondrusek is a bad option to be closer next year. Neither guy gives up many HR. I would probably rather see Bray, being a lefty with better stuff.

There is Masset as well, if he can get back to what he was like last year. He was flat out nasty.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Boxberger
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

Quote Originally Posted by redssince75 View Post
    Like what? I can't even think of ONE.
    Well he does run into trouble in about the fifth inning, usually. So loss of stamina could be a problem.

We need a free agent to be our closer. Not sure how many games some of you guys watch, but I'm only a fan of Chapman, Bray, Leake and Cueto. Our pitching is below avg, sorry.

Boxberger. When he came out of USC, he was annointed with the label. He's backed it up. Foxy Boxy will be the closer in 2013. Methinks Bray/Chappy for 2012.

Maybe a FA, I'd rather see Chapman start. There isn't a guy in our bullpen (minus Coco who won't be around) that I want closing. Please god no to Ondrusek or Masset.

Recovering Cubs Fan

Lecure
    FIRE DUSTY Never mind. The man is clearly a genius.

Quote Originally Posted by Natty Redlocks View Post
    Lecure
    this

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    Maybe a FA, I'd rather see Chapman start. There isn't a guy in our bullpen (minus Coco who won't be around) that I want closing. Please god no to Ondrusek or Masset.
    Agree! But that means it will probably one of them.

I definitely think that Boxberger is the answer. The few times that I've seen him in Louisville I've been more than impressed. I think Chapman has all the skills to be a closer, but I'd rather see him as a starter. If they'd like to give Boxberger another year in AAA, I think that Lecure would be the best option for next year out of our current bullpen.

Turn Off Ads?