Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who gets the win?

High five!

Who gets the win?

From BR. Dig it:

In Cincinnati's 8-7 win over the Cubs, reliever Nick Masset was credited as the winning pitcher, according to both MLB and ESPN online. Was that decision correct?

Masset came on in the bottom of the 7th with a 1-run lead, 2 outs and 2 on. The first batter doubled, tying the game. Masset intentionally walked the next man, then let in the tiebreaker on a wild pitch, before recording his only out. The Reds went ahead in their next at-bat. Aroldis Chapman struck out all 3 in the 8th, and Francisco Cordero pitched the 9th for the save.
    Whaddya think?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Re: Who gets the win?

Does it matter?

Sorry.

It is the official scorer's discretion, right?

No. It's only the official scores decision if the starter leaves before 5 innings with the lead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

He was the pitcher of record when the Reds took the lead. Simple as that.

I've seen it often happen where a closer blows a save only to have his team come back and take the lead and get him the win. W's can sometime be pretty ugly.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    He was the pitcher of record when the Reds took the lead. Simple as that.

I've seen it often happen where a closer blows a save only to have his team come back and take the lead and get him the win. W's can sometime be pretty ugly.
    Yep I think it's a rather open-and-shut case. One could argue it's not right, but that's the rule. Masset was most certainly the winning pitcher.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

I may be wrong, but the official scorer has the discretion to award the win to another pitcher when the pitcher of record is brief or ineffectual.

Edit - rule 10.17 (c) - official scorer doesn't have to give the win to a reliever who is ineffective in a brief appearance if a subsequent reliever was effective. Not quoting exactly, just paraphrasing.

I think Chapman could have been awarded the win today. But this rule is seldom applied.
    Last edited by Kc61; 08-07-2011 at 09:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I may be wrong, but the official scorer has the discretion to award the win to another pitcher when the pitcher of record is brief or ineffectual.

Edit - rule 10.17 (c) - official scorer doesn't have to give the win to a reliever who is ineffective in a brief appearance if a subsequent reliever was effective. Not quoting exactly, just paraphrasing.

I think Chapman could have been awarded the win today. But this rule is seldom applied.
    There is some wiggle room for the official scorer if a relief pitcher pitches ineffectively and another relief pitcher succeeds him effectively. You're right about that. I just meant that by rule, Masset is still the guy in line to get the win unless the official scorer decides to use discretion.

Generally speaking, if Masset had been charged with the run(s), Chapman probably would have been credited with the win. But because, despite Masset's ineffectiveness, he was not charged with the go-ahead runs for the Cubs, the scorer probably gave him the benefit of the doubt.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    There is some wiggle room for the official scorer if a relief pitcher pitches ineffectively and another relief pitcher succeeds him effectively. You're right about that. I just meant that by rule, Masset is still the guy in line to get the win unless the official scorer decides to use discretion.

Generally speaking, if Masset had been charged with the run(s), Chapman probably would have been credited with the win. But because, despite Masset's ineffectiveness, he was not charged with the go-ahead runs for the Cubs, the scorer probably gave him the benefit of the doubt.
    Masset and Ondrusek better start pitching better or they will be getting their future wins at AAA.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    No. It's only the official scores decision if the starter leaves before 5 innings with the lead.
    What about the rule Kc61 cited above?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post

Has anyone ever seen this applied? Ever?

The rules regarding who gets a win and how earned runs are credited need to be re-addressed if those stats are to maintain any meaning.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post

The rules regarding who gets a win and how earned runs are credited need to be re-addressed if those stats are to maintain any meaning.
    I personally haven't seen the rule applied, but it does exist, and should be used more often if you ask me.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post

It was applied in a Reds game a few years ago -- I think it was Osvaldo Fernandez who came and gave up the runs only to see the team come back and take the lead in the next half inning.

ETA: This was the game -- http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...00108050.shtml -- Fernandez came into the game in the 7th inning with the Reds leading 8-7 and promptly gave up two runs to make the score 9-8 San Diego. The Reds came back in the top of the 8th to score two more runs with Fernandez still as the pitcher of record to take the lead 10-9. Danny Graves came in to pitch the 8th and 9th and was credited with the win instead of the save by the official scorer due to Fernandez being judged as "ineffective."
    Last edited by Caveat Emperor; 08-07-2011 at 09:46 PM.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

The rule is used occasionally.

This was the perfect time to use it, as Champan pitched great, and Masett was ineffective.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Yep I think it's a rather open-and-shut case. One could argue it's not right, but that's the rule. Masset was most certainly the winning pitcher.
    You don't always have to be right you know.

It was clear to the whole world that when you posted this that you were unaware of the rule that allowed a subsequent releif pitcher who was not the pitcher of record to be awarded the win in certain circumstances.

All of a sudden you claimed that of course there is some wiggle room.

"but that's the rule" doesn't suggest any wiggle room.

Turn Off Ads?