Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Would you trade Votto for Bautista?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

17 42.50%
  • Yes

23 57.50%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trade Votto for Bautista?

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Trade Votto for Bautista?

Would you do it?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Trade Votto for Bautista?

I voted yes because this would make more sense for the Reds long term. Really would. If Alonso doesn't work out (he probably will) you could get a 1B in 2013 or 2014 and all the time you've got a BEAST at 3B. Rolen's shoulder has probably finished his career this time to be honest, hate it for him because he's the bomb when healthy.

no i would think you could get alot more for him. i would go for king felix jarod weaver evan longoria or a clayton kershaw. i would want someone young and very good in return if you can't get a righthanded power bat or an ace i would keep votto until his contract is about up but if someone comes up with a good enough deal you have to take it or at least think about it you can't have untouchables ask leatherpants about that

Let the kids play!

I said yes. And I love Votto, hence my username.

My reasoning is this:

Yes, Bautista is 30 and Votto is 27. But age is not the factor here. I believe Bautista is signed reasonably through 2015 for $14M per season. Votto is due (again off the top of my head) $10M next season and $19M in 2013. 2 more years and he can walk as a free agent. Will he? Yes, I think he will.

The Reds have a huge need in the cleanup spot and in an everyday LFer. And the Reds have what looks to be a qualified replacement first baseman in Alonso, who could bat third.

This takes care of 2 positions (cleanup, third) in the batting order and only gives up one position in it now (Votto).

Alonso needs to play. He is already showing himself to be valuable at the plate.

No one on the team has emerged as qualified to bat cleanup. NO ONE. And I see no one in the farm system qualified for a few more years to do it either. Bruce has struggled, and is at his worst with RISP. Not what you want from your cleanup hitter.

Bautista completely revamped his hitting mechanics, thus his improvement.

I think it's a no-brainer. Votto gets nothing to hit for most of the time. Pujols has Holliday hitting behind him. Votto has had Rolen and the not ready for primetime Jay Bruce hitting behind him.

It also locks down the cleanup hitter for 4 more years in terms of salary.

In an instant
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

Quote Originally Posted by joe51391 View Post
    no i would think you could get alot more for him. i would go for king felix jarod weaver evan longoria or a clayton kershaw. i would want someone young and very good in return if you can't get a righthanded power bat or an ace i would keep votto until his contract is about up but if someone comes up with a good enough deal you have to take it or at least think about it you can't have untouchables ask leatherpants about that
    the best player in baseball is not enough? then you list players that are less than bautista and votto? except king felix. but as far as position players go bautista is the guy and if you wanna trade votto for pitching then I guess ur of the opinion that pitching is too weak?

Im of the opinion trade votto for bautista and kill 2 birds with one stone and use grandal, hamilton, stubbs to get pitching.

also pple mention age like bautista is 35+ and gonna be signing a 10 year extension. bautista will exceed the value of his contract in the first 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by webbbj View Post
    the best player in baseball is not enough? then you list players that are less than bautista and votto? except king felix. but as far as position players go bautista is the guy and if you wanna trade votto for pitching then I guess ur of the opinion that pitching is too weak?

Im of the opinion trade votto for bautista and kill 2 birds with one stone and use grandal, hamilton, stubbs to get pitching.

also pple mention age like bautista is 35+ and gonna be signing a 10 year extension. bautista will exceed the value of his contract in the first 3 years.
    I'm hoping Sappelt shows everyone he can be that leadoff guy. Stick Bautista in LF, Sappelt in CF, and I'm willing to trade Stubbs, Grandal, etc. for pitching also.

Reds cannot afford King Felix. He is set to make $20M for years to come.

If we had a replacement for Bruce, I'd trade him too. I'm about fed up with Stubbs and Bruce. I think this is as good as it gets with those two, and maybe we should trade them now while they're still "YOUNG" and get something while we still can.

I think its funny how everyone thinks a player should be loyal to an organization, yet you see how loyal a fan base would be to that player they expect to be loyal to them.

Absolutely, and I'm a big fan of Votto.

I think Votto is the better player, but I think Bautista is a better fit with this team and GABP.

Quote Originally Posted by mroby85 View Post
    I think its funny how everyone thinks a player should be loyal to an organization, yet you see how loyal a fan base would be to that player they expect to be loyal to them.
    i dont expect players to be loyal to any organization. If votto decides to leave ill applaud him and cheer for to do well. If there is a move that can make the team better and it involves trading votto ill be on board for that too.

Toronto would not do it straight up, that's for sure.

Yes, as much as it would suck losing Votto, I'd do it. It makes the club much better. Bautista is a versatile player who can play 3B, LF, RF, and probably even 1B if needed. But we need to have a spot for Alonso somewhere if 3B doesn't work out because surely he can't be an everyday left fielder.

No.... Bautista scares me. He wasn't very good for far too long.
    SECOND PLACE DOESN'T CONCERN ME

I can't pull the trigger for Bautista.

I don't like dead pull hitters, he's come out of nowhere, and this is the first Reds homegrown star since Larkin.

I think we may be able to sign him long term after his contract is done. It is tempting, but I really think I want Votto here.

Turn Off Ads?