Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Youkilis ponders playing for Reds

Re: Youkilis ponders playing for Reds

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    I don't think that he is a legit 3B at this stage. And we are talking about him 2-3 years from now.

Though he could replace Joey at first.
    True. All the more reason to trade Alonso. Frazier could play LF. Soto could play 1B. Youkilis could play 1B. Hell, Votto could re-sign and play 1B. Stop keeping the guy as a contingency plan. If he can't play LF, you have GOT to trade him to get value!!

Also, it's a good thing this team didn't trade Hernandez.

FWIW, I think there is a good chance of Youk finishing his career in Cincinnati. If he leaves Boston, it will likely only be for home.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

His D at 3B isn't much to write home about and I imagine it's going to continue to slip over the next few years. That said, he'd be a great addition batting 2nd ahead of Joey.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Send Bronson back to Boston and let him play third for the Reds now.

If the Reds are interested, they should trade for him this winter. He would be a great addition for 2 or 3 years.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    Send Bronson back to Boston and let him play third for the Reds now.
    I love this plan. High five!
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

I'll probably be tared and feathered for this opinion but I'd much rather pay Youkilis for his production over the next few years than what we will have to pay Rolen for his production.

I'll duck and cover now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    I'll probably be tared and feathered for this opinion but I'd much rather pay Youkilis for his production over the next few years than what we will have to pay Rolen for his production.

I'll duck and cover now.
    No need to duck from me. I would trade Rolen for Youk in a heartbeat. I can't imagine a rational argument against it.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

than what we will have to pay Rolen for his production.
    What production?

We talk about how our farm system has greatly improved over what it use to be; but it seems all our high-level prospects are at other positions other then INF. Other then possibly Cozart (SS... keep fingers crossed there too) it's still a void. That's kinda sad.

I've listened to past discussions on Votto, and that the reasoning (rumors) as to why he wouldn't sign a long term deal with the Reds is that he is most likely gonna bolt in a couple of years. If that is true, it's most likely inevitable, then this organization needs to seriously look at shopping him to fill those needs in other areas BEFORE that time arrives.

It makes room for Alonso at 1B (where he belongs), and we have the rights to him for several years.

3B is still a huge issue. Francisco is a question mark. I personally don't think he'll pan out. Todd Frazier - what is his true position? In 2009/10 his primary position was LF. This year he has gotten a majority of his playing time at 3B.

I say give Frazier his shot at 3B. Lets find out the remainder of the season to see what he's got. Let one of the best (Rolen) "disciple" the kid some too. What have we got to lose?

And the same goes with Sappelt and Heisy in LF.

I understand that Dusty wants to win games, and that maybe, in the back of his mind, he's trying to "save face" during a disappointing season and make the best of it as a manager would. But unless he suddenly decides to retire (highly doubtful), he's going to be back next season. This is Cincinnati folks. And as much as he has frustrated me this season I'm not calling for him to be fired either. But this FO, if they are serious about seeing what we've got with some of our prospects, needs to sit Dusty down and tell him they want these kids to get regular playing time strictly for evaluation.

And if Dusty disagrees, or stands in the way of that logic, then IMO that confirms some of the accusations leveled at him when it comes to younger players and where his preferences lie. And IMO he would then have to go.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

I'll duck and cover now.
    You don't have to duck from me. Rolen's best days are way behind him. I thought last winter the Reds needed to find someone that could play the majority of games at 3B. You could tell Rolen was really wearing down by the end of 2010 and what has happened to him 2011 doesn't surprise me a bit. I really doubt though the Reds could pick up Youklis before his contract is out. I suspect in 2012 we will some combination of Rolen/Frazier/Francisco at 3rd base. Maybe even Alonso.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I'll duck and cover now.
    No need to duck and cover. I'll stand up and applaud.

This team has absolutely got to figure out a way to avoid this 3B mess next year. Just assuming that this latest surgery will right all Scott Rolen's ills would be a big mistake.

If they really want Kevin Youkilis, go get him now. Don't wait til he's just another version of Scott Rolen in a couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    I'd love to see Buddy Bell/Scott Rolen/Kevin Youkilis in a Reds uniform. It's always just a couple years too late though, isn't it?

Add Bill Doran and Cesar Cedeno and I'm sure a whole lot of other players where the Reds wish for what once was and fail to see what now is.

But to be fair, the Reds did get a couple of pretty good years out of Bell and a good 1/2 year out of Rolen.

Pay attention to the open sky

Bumping this because Youkilis is getting roasted in the Boston media now that the Red Sox season has ended. Among the criticisms:

• He drank too much beer.

• He continued to criticize Jacoby Ellsbury for injury-marred 2010, even while Ellsbury was having an MYP-quality 2011.

He's being called a locker room cancer. Boston media is tough, and scapegoating is par for the course when it comes to explaining a collapse like the Red Sox had, but it's notable in this case because Youk had been a guy the press and the fans liked.

Sounds to me like the guy may have some issues. He'd be a wonderful RH bat, if healthy and in the right state of mind, to fit into the middle of the Reds order, but what these reports tell me is that there are some significant question marks about Youk right now.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Where'd you get that from?
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    Where'd you get that from?
    Can he still play a decent 3B? I'd love it if the talent cost isn't too steep.

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    Can he still play a decent 3B? I'd love it if the talent cost isn't too steep.
    He wasn't that good at 3B, not terrible, but he also may not physically be able to handle it. He needs surgery for a sports hernia.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Turn Off Ads?