Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Youkilis ponders playing for Reds

Re: Youkilis ponders playing for Reds

I think there is a good chance he's traded this offseason. He makes $12MM in 2012 with a team option for 2013. Question is if you're Walt, do you trade for him now or wait and try to lure him home as a FA in 13 or 14?

I actually think trading for him and signing him to a team friendly extension so he can retire here is a very Walt-like move. Question is, what would you offer for him?

Would Grandal straight up be enough? Too much? Add Francisco or Frazier? I wouldn't trade Alonso for him (assuming they let Papi go)- I'd rather use Alonso as bait for a pitcher. Perhaps they'd have interest in Volquez given their rotation struggles?

Youk at 3B and moving to 1B if/once Votto leaves sounds like a move that makes sense. Let's just hope Walt doesn't overpay and Youk becomes the second coming of Buddy Bell...or Scott Rolen.
    Last edited by Benihana; 10-02-2011 at 09:05 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

You wait on Youkilis unless you can trade contracts (i.e., Arroyo). Youk had injuries all year -- including a bad hip -- so you absolutely do not trade top prospects for him until you can be sure he's still a legit middle of the order presence. The fact that he's already said he'd like to end up playing in Cincy gives the team a legitimate chance to acquire him as a free agent after 2012 anyway.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I think there is a good chance he's traded this offseason. He makes $12MM in 2012 with a team option for 2013. Question is if you're Walt, do you trade for him now or wait and try to lure him home as a FA in 13 or 14?

I actually think trading for him and signing him to a team friendly extension so he can retire here is a very Walt-like move. Question is, what would you offer for him?

Would Grandal straight up be enough? Too much? Add Francisco or Frazier? I wouldn't trade Alonso for him (assuming they let Papi go)- I'd rather use Alonso as bait for a pitcher. Perhaps they'd have interest in Volquez given their rotation struggles?

Youk at 3B and moving to 1B if/once Votto leaves sounds like a move that makes sense. Let's just hope Walt doesn't overpay and Youk becomes the second coming of Buddy Bell...or Scott Rolen.
    How about a monster, blockbuster deal?

Reds deal Bailey, Arroyo, Stubbs, Francisco/ Frazier, Massett, and Bruce

while

Boston deals Youkilis, middle infielder Jed Lowrie, pitching prospect Alex Wilson, pitching prospect Kyle Weiland, and Clay Bucholz?

Boston grabs a young masher to stick in RF for the next decade or so, a true CF that allows for four guys to play the OF spots and DH (thereby keeping costs relatively low, as they need not pay for that monster DH bat). Arroyo and Bailey are gambles but at least add league average-ish innings better than Boston had last season. (Both Bailey and Arroyo would have been solidly in the Red Sox rotation last season, according to numbers.) Massett becomes a middle reliever with the Sawks-- great arm, questionable head. Perhaps he rediscovers his 2010 mojo. Boston also has their choice of Francisco/ Frazier to play 3B, should they strike out on the free agent market.

Cincinnati, meanwhile, grabs a cleanup bat who can play the hot corner. This allows Alonso to hit fifth and balances out the batting order. (Both Sappelt and Heisey play everyday, though a free agent bat may make sense.) It also provides a TOR pitcher the Reds need to front a suddenly interesting rotation of Bucholz, Cueto, Leake, Chapman and the winner of the Volquez/ Wood battle for fifth starter. Lowrie and the prospects provide depth at this point, with the chance to start this season. Weiland found something this season but blew it in Boston (so he's definitely available for a song). Wilson has really nice numbers and very good scouting reports. Both would be stashed in AAA as depth the Reds sorely need.

Phillips 2B
    Sappelt CF
    Votto 1B
    Youkilis 3B
    Alonso LF
    Heisey RF
    Mesoraco/ Hanigan C
    Cozart/ Lowrie SS

Rotation/ Depth
    Bucholz
    Cueto
    Leake
    Chapman
    Volquez
    Wood
    Wilson
    Weiland

The bullpen needs serious work still, but that's a better team, IMO, than what took the field in 2011. And it's a deal that makes sense for both teams. It's a huge gamble for both teams, but it's the type of deal Jocketty may be looking at.

Phillips SS
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    How about a monster, blockbuster deal?

Reds deal Bailey, Arroyo, Stubbs, Francisco/ Frazier, Massett, and Bruce

while

Boston deals Youkilis, middle infielder Jed Lowrie, pitching prospect Alex Wilson, pitching prospect Kyle Weiland, and Clay Bucholz?

Boston grabs a young masher to stick in RF for the next decade or so, a true CF that allows for four guys to play the OF spots and DH (thereby keeping costs relatively low, as they need not pay for that monster DH bat). Arroyo and Bailey are gambles but at least add league average-ish innings better than Boston had last season. (Both Bailey and Arroyo would have been solidly in the Red Sox rotation last season, according to numbers.) Massett becomes a middle reliever with the Sawks-- great arm, questionable head. Perhaps he rediscovers his 2010 mojo. Boston also has their choice of Francisco/ Frazier to play 3B, should they strike out on the free agent market.

Cincinnati, meanwhile, grabs a cleanup bat who can play the hot corner. This allows Alonso to hit fifth and balances out the batting order. (Both Sappelt and Heisey play everyday, though a free agent bat may make sense.) It also provides a TOR pitcher the Reds need to front a suddenly interesting rotation of Bucholz, Cueto, Leake, Chapman and the winner of the Volquez/ Wood battle for fifth starter. Lowrie and the prospects provide depth at this point, with the chance to start this season. Weiland found something this season but blew it in Boston (so he's definitely available for a song). Wilson has really nice numbers and very good scouting reports. Both would be stashed in AAA as depth the Reds sorely need.

Phillips 2B
    Sappelt CF
    Votto 1B
    Youkilis 3B
    Alonso LF
    Heisey RF
    Mesoraco/ Hanigan C
    Cozart/ Lowrie SS

Rotation/ Depth
    Bucholz
    Cueto
    Leake
    Chapman
    Volquez
    Wood
    Wilson
    Weiland

The bullpen needs serious work still, but that's a better team, IMO, than what took the field in 2011. And it's a deal that makes sense for both teams. It's a huge gamble for both teams, but it's the type of deal Jocketty may be looking at.

Phillips SS
    Huge overpay for Buchholz coming off an injury (a stress fracture in his back is a scary repetitive use thing that could recur), one year of Youkilis and a bunch of interchangeable parts. I don't think I'd deal Bruce alone for all of that. You also end up with 3 first basemen on the field at one time trying to play some semblence of defense. About the only plus here is getting out from under Arroyo, but by dealing Bailey with him you are right back to multiple question marks in the rotation. I like Lowrie a little and would be ok with dealing Stubbs for him and one of the lesser pitchers in your deal, but I don't see why Boston would want him.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Let's just hope Walt doesn't overpay and Youk becomes the second coming of Buddy Bell...or Scott Rolen.
    Buddy Bell?

He gave us 2 years of .800 OPS with great defense at third.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Buddy Bell?

He gave us 2 years of .800 OPS with great defense at third.
    And a much higher OPS would be expected of Youk, especially at that price.
    Go BLUE!!!

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    You wait on Youkilis unless you can trade contracts (i.e., Arroyo). Youk had injuries all year -- including a bad hip -- so you absolutely do not trade top prospects for him until you can be sure he's still a legit middle of the order presence. The fact that he's already said he'd like to end up playing in Cincy gives the team a legitimate chance to acquire him as a free agent after 2012 anyway.
    And besides, we already have an injury-riddled, wrong-side-of-thirty third baseman with one year left on his contract. I would expect Youk to be an upgrade over Rolen + caddy next year, but not 12 million dollars plus a top prospect's worth of upgrade. Since we can't stash one of them at DH on a daily basis, I don't see it happening unless Rolen hangs 'em up. And even then, we'd have to ask if that's the best place to spend $12 million. It's not like we have multiple big-money slots available.
    Not all who wander are lost

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

If you like a guy that plays 140 games a year, you will love Kevin Youkilis. Pass.

With Rolen as his caddy, it makes perfect sense.

Youkilis plays DH against AL teams, 1B against really tough southpaws (to give Votto a blow or ten), and takes his own customary 15 games off or so a season.

That should give Rolen 45-50 games at 3B. Add in pinch hitting duties and the Reds are a better team with Youkilis than without.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

I'd jump at a chance for the young, surprising, cheap Youk.

I don't want the Reds overpaying for the older, declining Youk. And his body type is not going to age well.

Love seeing him at UC events though!

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    This is exactly why I do such a deal. Arroyo and Francisco? Take the shot and offset some of Youks dollars in the process. Of course that would mean the Sox would have to have interest in Arroyo. Maybe between he and Rolen we might end up with a complete 3B.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?