Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why is Fred Lewis playing?

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Why is Fred Lewis playing?

Fred Lewis seems like a nice guy. He came here on a cheap deal ($900k) and seemed like a decent bench bat for a team that would need bench bats in September as it challenged for a playoff spot.

Well, this team isn't challenging for a playoff spot.

What this team does have is 3 young players (Alonso, Frazier and Sappelt) who need to be evaluated (Alonso defensively, Sappelt offensively) for 2012. They all play left field.

So, I ask -- why is Fred Lewis on this team and playing? He isn't going to be here in 2012. If he is back here, he certainly won't be coming back as a starter. Every PA he takes as a starter is one less PA the Reds have to look at their younger guys who will be around next season.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Why is Fred Lewis playing?

You have to play a certain number of games, otherwise you don't get your letterman's jacket.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    You have to play a certain number of games, otherwise you don't get your letterman's jacket.
    That really is as good an answer as any.

Lewis has actually been playing pretty well lately.

I'd say the professional thing for Dusty to do is to go with a guy when he's hot. So while I understand CE's point, and agree with it, I also know that Dusty is still trying to win every single game he can.

His job is a bit at stake (though i don't think he will be fired in the offseason- the roster makeup is not Dusty's fault) in that the final record will be a reflection on Dusty; but it's not spring training either, and Dusty is not holding tryouts.
    sorry we're boring

Frazier plays LF? 15 games in the ML is not exactly a resume.

I'm fairly certain Alonzo doesn't play LF.

Lewis is in the lineup tonight leading off and playing LF.

My guess is that Lewis is a candidate to come back next year, as he should be.

As of today, we have Lewis, Heisey and 3 kids in the mix to cover LF and the two reserve OF slots next year. Not an enomorous amount of depth.

IIRC, Lewis is not free agent eligible. The Reds can offer him arb or non tender him. So, he needs to be evaluated along with the kids.

It also buys the team goodwill when they play guys that come over on cheap contracts like this. If a Redzoner GM ran this team, we'd never be able to talk veterans like Lewis to come on this team, because the Redzoner GM would DFA them during the first week of the season
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I was thinking of heading down tonight to watch Sappelt. Dusty made the decision for me: I'll pass.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    My guess is that Lewis is a candidate to come back next year, as he should be.

As of today, we have Lewis, Heisey and 3 kids in the mix to cover LF and the two reserve OF slots next year. Not an enomorous amount of depth.

IIRC, Lewis is not free agent eligible. The Reds can offer him arb or non tender him. So, he needs to be evaluated along with the kids.

It also buys the team goodwill when they play guys that come over on cheap contracts like this. If a Redzoner GM ran this team, we'd never be able to talk veterans like Lewis to come on this team, because the Redzoner GM would DFA them during the first week of the season
    Fred Lewis, with his pedestrian defense, and his .699 OPS SHOULD be a candidate to come back? The Fred Lewis that has never been considered a good clubhouse guy? The guy that has gotten worse just about every year he's been a pro? that guy? He SHOULD be a candidate to return?

really? What EXACTLY does he offer?

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red
    Lewis has actually been playing pretty well lately.
    What do you mean by lately? Last 7 days he's 0-9, last 10 games he's 4-20. If that constitutes better, what was he doing prior to that? Prio to the ASB .719 OPS since, .621 OPS.

Off the bench, he's been ridiculous....391 .462 .522 .984

In 23 AB's

But, as the LF....221 .310 .310 .620 113 AB's

I'm pretty sure average defense + putrid offense means he SHOULDN'T be guaranteed anything. But that's just my opinion
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Frazier plays LF? 15 games in the ML is not exactly a resume.
    I thought Frazier played quite a bit of LF in the minors?

From Fay

Lewis is 7-for-9 off Colorado starter RHP Jason Hammel.

I really hope this year burned out Dusty bad and he won't be back.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Prospects = new toys on Christmas Day to fans

Consider that there was a day when Fred Lewis was one of those new toys.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Prospects = new toys on Christmas Day to fans

Consider that there was a day when Fred Lewis was one of those new toys.
    Fred Lewis is the green sweatpants my parents got me at age 10. I went berserk.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

I'm not say stand pat with the kids.

I'm saying there are better options in house and in the world outside than Fred Lewis.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    I thought Frazier played quite a bit of LF in the minors?
    100 games the last two seasons

Turn Off Ads?