Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Youkilis the future at 3rd base?

Youkilis the future at 3rd base?

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/...s-downs-boston

By no means is Youkilis giving up on Boston, the Red Sox or his teammates. He's proud of what he's already accomplished with this organization and certainly hopes for a lot more. He's also looking ahead and wonders what it would be like to play for his hometown team, the Cincinnati Reds.

"If I were to go anywhere, I would want to go to Cincinnati and play in front of my parents at home," Youkilis said. "I think it would be really cool for my dad and my mom, but especially for my dad, growing up in Cincinnati, that would be a real cool thing."
    His contract is up after 2012 with a club option for 2013, so obviously this wouldn't help us this year, but if he doesn't go back to Boston, it would be great to have him on the Reds. Hopefully one of the young guys steps up, but if not, maybe Youk would be an option once Rolen is gone.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Youkilis the future at 3rd base?

Youk would be really nice if he's not expecting 10+ million a year. If he would take a pay cut to play here for 2-3 years I would be glad to have him.

At that point is it really the future or the past, as he will be up there by then wont he? Can see how it would be cool for him, but think thats a downward trend for us if we are still recycling/duct taping old men 3'rd basemen together...
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

The Smiling Side AintlifeGrande's Avatar

Walt ought to be on the phone brokering a deal as soon as the season is over.I think Youk would come here for a decent price,without draining the club.The chance to play for Mom and Dad at home will trump the big dollars.Not to mention he may be throwing Jocketty a little hint out there that he could be had if he wants him.I mean when is the last time a player has come out and mentioned just one team he would want to play for?Rather than a plethora of teams.
    Last edited by AintlifeGrande; 08-08-2011 at 04:50 PM.

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!

He's a mirror image of what the Reds have now. By the time he's a possibility, he'll be old and broken down like Rolen. Nice story, but no thanks. Hopefully, the days of taking in retreads is behind the Reds.

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

He looks like a lead off hitter compared to about everyone on the team!

.383 OBP
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I'd consider it, but it does kind of remind me of the Rolen situation.

Rolen had a history of injury when he came here. Youk hasn't had anything recurring. I wouldn't expect him to be the centerpiece if he got here in 2 years, but he will always be a good OBP guy. I could see him being an above average 3B for the next 5 years. If he would take some sort of a hometown discount, he would be a great acquisition

I would love... love... love... love.. love... to see Youk in a Reds uni. LOVE it.

The Smiling Side AintlifeGrande's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Old NDN View Post
    He's a mirror image of what the Reds have now. By the time he's a possibility, he'll be old and broken down like Rolen. Nice story, but no thanks. Hopefully, the days of taking in retreads is behind the Reds.
    2011 32 BOS AL 105 454 378 63 102 30 2 16 76 3 0 60 87 .270 .383 .487 .870
    How is 32 years old broken down?

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!

We'll see what Frazier can do with a good deal of playing time for the rest of this season, before I'd explore paying a fairly big sum of money to a guy who's clearly on the downside of his career.

I would trade for him next year if the Red Sox would pick up most of his salary.

Quote Originally Posted by AintlifeGrande View Post
    2011 32 BOS AL 105 454 378 63 102 30 2 16 76 3 0 60 87 .270 .383 .487 .870
    How is 32 years old broken down?
    I think you missed my point. By the time he could be had by the Reds in free agency, 2-3 years from now, he more than likely will be similar to Rolen. If the Reds can go get him in the offseason, I'm all for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Old NDN View Post
    I think you missed my point. By the time he could be had by the Reds in free agency, 2-3 years from now, he more than likely will be similar to Rolen. If the Reds can go get him in the offseason, I'm all for that.
    Agree 100%. Hopefully we won't have to worry about 3rd base when he becomes a free agent. Would love to see Frazier or Francisco lock it down. Have we had a good young 3rd baseman since Sabo? We all talked about the guy that was going to be our 3rd baseman for the next 10-12 years in the name of Greene/Larson/Edwin!

Love Youk, played against him. He's 34. We don't need a 34 year old as out "future".
    SECOND PLACE DOESN'T CONCERN ME

Turn Off Ads?