Turn Off Ads?

Thread: first time all season....

first time all season....

that i'm not setting the TiVo for tonights game. I'm sure I'll catch a little of it at some point but watching every pitch has become way to depressing for me and this coming from a guy who watched every Tim Hummel AB in a Reds uni

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: first time all season....

My DVR is still set. I want to watch the new guys and see what they can do. That is if Dusty will play them.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Worth The Wait

Ironic, I was thinking of starting a similar thread. Looks like this season has done the same thing to your enthusiasm as it has done to mine.

Life dictates that for most weekday night games I need to set the DVR and start the game about 2-3 later than those of you watching live. I have done this for pretty much all weekday the games the past two years, and it has worked out great.

The sweep by the Mets took a huge chunk of my excitement away, but I've stuck it out since then, calculating positive scenarios an looking ahead to this easier stretch of schedule. We are now 5-5 since that Mets series and the season has flatlined- I'd no longer say it's on life support.

I debated whether or not to set the DVR last night, but I had just enough interest left to do so.... Hoping against hope for a big homestand I suppose. But I seriously doubt I'll take the time going forward.

From this point on, anything that happens this season has an asterik next to it because it will occur during meaningless games. If Jay Bruce or Drew Stubbs go on a tear over the next six weeks it won't mean much to me-- easier to put up big numbers when there is nothing on the line team-wise. And if not easier, then at least harder to judge.

Not shocked the Reds won't be repeating as a division champs-- I had some worries for sure. But I am shocked that it's Aug 9th and we are playing out the string already.

The momentum from 2010 is gone and I think from a PR standpoint at least the Reds find themselves back where they were in 2009.

Right now 2010 looks like an anomoly amongst decades of misery rather than a launching point for a new era. Yes, 1971 is an example to point to, but with ten straight losin seasons which is about to be 11 in 12 years, the Reds really don't get the benefit of a "down" year at this point.

Just a depressing year for the Reds and the fans. As disappointed in this team as I've ever been.

I rarely DVR the games any longer. It just got too disappointing watching (a) the offense stink, (b) the pitching stink or, (c) everybody stink. I can only take so much of watching my favorite team implode on a nightly basis.

I realize we're now in full next-year mode and I want to see the younger guys make an impact. Even so, these games are painful to watch.

Still watch every night. Their position in the standings just takes the excitement out of it.

What's frustrating is knowing that you're not in the race and still not knowing whether or not you're going to get a chance to see the future in action.

I like Fred Lewis. I thought he was a good signing. For a team in contention, he's a useful part. For a team out of contention and needing to figure out the LF situation, he's in the way. The same can be said about Miguel Cairo.

I can understand not playing Alonso if LF if the organization truly believes he can't do it well enough. But if Jocketty is trying to figure out 2012 and Dusty is still playing for 2011, we have a problem.

Do one or do the other, but don't do both half way.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by GADawg View Post
    that i'm not setting the TiVo for tonights game. I'm sure I'll catch a little of it at some point but watching every pitch has become way to depressing for me and this coming from a guy who watched every Tim Hummel AB in a Reds uni
    I think this is a sign of raised expectations for Reds fans. If this was 5-10 years ago, we'd all be watching to see what possibly lays ahead for guys like Bruce, Stubbs, Votto, Cueto, Leake, Sappelt, Cozart, Alonso, etc.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by GADawg View Post
    coming from a guy who watched every Tim Hummel AB in a Reds uni
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    that's technology gone awry!

Time is the Revelator.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    DUDE.

Did I make this? I made one very similar. I can't believe someone has it still!

My all time favorite Red.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

We used to call Tim Hummel "Hawk Hummel" because he looked like a Hawk peering in from the big screen for the few months he was in the bigs with the Reds when he was up to bat.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Turn Off Ads?