Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is Your Favorite Announcing Duo?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • TV: Thom Brennaman & Chris Welsh

19 27.54%
  • TV: Thom Brennaman & Jeff Brantley

6 8.70%
  • TV: Thom Brennaman & Sean Casey

4 5.80%
  • TV: Jim Kelch & Chris Welsh

18 26.09%
  • TV: Jim Kelch & Jeff Brantley

3 4.35%
  • TV: George Grande & Chris Welsh

10 14.49%
  • TV: George Grande & Jeff Brantley

1 1.45%
  • TV: George Grande & Sean Casey

1 1.45%
  • Radio: Marty Brennaman & Jeff Brantley

20 28.99%
  • Radio: Marty Brennaman & Jim Kelch

26 37.68%
  • Radio: Jim Kelch & Jeff Brantley

3 4.35%
  • Other (please specify)

2 2.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Reds Announcing Duo?

Favorite Reds Announcing Duo?

Who is your favorite Reds announcing duo on both the radio and TV sides?

Please vote for one TV and one Radio.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Re: Favorite Reds Announcing Duo?

David Cone and Len Kasper. Er.... I think a list of options would be helpful. Is this current or ever?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I think a list would be helpful
    (see poll above)

Anyone and Jim Kelch.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I picked Marty and Jeff, but that's more a "the best of what's around" vote than anything else.

I like Brantley a lot (though, I recognize I'm in the minority on that one), and Marty can still a very good game when he isn't in one of his moods. For all of Marty's warts, there's absolutely no one else I want to hear on mic for a big moment in a Reds game.

Of the list, the only other person I'd say I liked was Chris Welsh. He has a very easy delivery on TV and does a great job of adding insight to the games without getting heavy on the "when I played the game..." stuff. He also isn't an apologist for the players 24/7, which is a trap a lot of ex-jocks fall into when they get behind the microphone.

Kelch? He's a dime-a-dozen Billy Baseball radio guy that's completely interchangeable with about 50 different announcers around the majors and minors. Completely inoffensive, but also completely forgettable calling the game.

Thom is a football guy shoehorning himself into baseball. His style of broadcast is almost self-parody with his overly dramatic reaction to things, endless attempts to beat a pre-determined narrative into a telecast (something you see a lot on football broadcasts), and dead-horse rants that start, inevitably, with his professing to not want to beat the lifeless body any further.

George Grande is sunshine with a spoonful of sugar and a pound of syrup on top for good measure. He's an easy listen in small doses, but grates on my nerves after a few games of Redbirds this and He Got It that.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Just no cowboy.

Marty and Jim Kelch.

I just like announcers that just call the game and don't talk about things like tomato plants, Elvis and barbecue.

Marty is good when he is focused on the game and I think Kelch and his demeanor forces Marty to focus on the game.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

I like either Thom or Chris Welsh with Jeff on TV. I like the Cowboy but don't think he does a good job of PBP all by himself. If Marty would stay on the air all 9 innings then I wouldn't have an issue with Marty and Cowboy.

I do like Marty and Thom on the radio.

I like Kelch and Welsh. They talk only baseball. No talk about who had what for dinner or vendettas or mangled PBP or blown sunshine. They are pretty vanilla but I like vanilla.

Pay attention to the open sky

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I like Kelch and Welsh. They talk only baseball. No talk about who had what for dinner or vendettas or mangled PBP or blown sunshine. They are pretty vanilla but I like vanilla.
    I had to switch to the Cubs feed twice this weekend because:

A. Marty and Jeff were talking about other stuff while the game was on

B. Brantley is brutal alone, half the time I can't tell what's going on, he is a butcher alone, a car wreck, a disastrous mess that is at best bush, at worst freaking HS quality, an embarrassment to the franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    B. Brantley is brutal alone, half the time I can't tell what's going on, he is a butcher alone, a car wreck, a disastrous mess that is at best bush, at worst freaking HS quality, an embarrassment to the franchise.
    Don't sugar coat it.

Tell us how you really feel.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Marty and Joe. *sigh*
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

I think Chris Welsh is as good a color man as anyone in the game. As far as the other stuff that goes on with calling the game; I like it when they talk about other stuff as well as the game. I particularly like it when Chris jabs at Thom.
    As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Jim Mcntyre and Joe were good. Al Michaels and Joe were real good. Marty and Joe, during the Big Red Machine years, were great.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

I liked it last night when George made reference to Chris throwing batting practice, and Chris cut in before he could finish and chimed in with, "Now I know how you felt about my career." LOL
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Turn Off Ads?