Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tuesday 08/09/11 MiLB Updates

Tuesday 08/09/11 MiLB Updates

Yasmani Grandal has been placed on the seven-day disabled list with a concussion suffered yesterday on a foul tip in the first inning. Kevin Coddington has been transferred from High-A Bakersfield to replace Grandal on the Mudcats' roster.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Tuesday 08/09/11 MiLB Updates

Bummer. Was hoping to get to see Grandal this week/weekend.

The lineup for tonight's buttwhoopin' in Louisville

Perez 7
    Valaika 4
    Francisco 5
    Phipps 8
    Hermida 9
    Dorn 3
    Miller 2
    Cook DH
    Negron 6
    Maloney 1

I'll be there to witness the carnage.

Interesting note regarding the Bats from the batssignal:

The Bats are looking for their 47th quality start of the season tonight when Matt Maloney takes the hill. In their IL West Division Championship year of 2010, they only had 53 quality starts. So far this season Bats starting pitchers have posted an ERA of 3.86 but in 2010, the starters had a 4.01era. Despite being on pace to surpass last season’s effort the Bats find themselves 14.5 games out of first on 8/9 compared to being only 2.5 games out on this date a year ago.

Dailey going all Hugh Nicol today stealing third twice Going 1/3 with a double in a 7-3 loss.

Tony Cingrani might be a little too good for the Pioneer League. Tonight it was 4 IP, 1 H, 0 BB, 6 K. My man Nick O'Shea has homered (#7) and it's 2-0 after six. Waldrop has a double, Arias a triple.

Dayton was suspended after three, presumably because Torreyes wasn't in the lineup. Dragons were up 2-0 after three. Lotzkar went the first two, retiring Shin-Soo Choo.

Matt Maloney keeps plugging along. He went six strong innings tonight in Louisville's 5-2 win over Columbus. Hermida homered. Corky did not.

I'm reluctant to report any slim lead that Carolina holds after eight innings.

How is Waldrop doing this year? I've noticed he's had a few XBHs the last couple days.

Seven guys in the lineup of the DSL Reds today are hitting .241 or less, with three in the 100s. Of course, they won 9-6. In the DSL, errors occur.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Cingrani is fantastic. Love that pick so far. A big lefty with good stuff and control. What's not to like? It's early, but sure looks like he was a third-round steal.

Quote Originally Posted by Grande Donkey View Post
    How is Waldrop doing this year? I've noticed he's had a few XBHs the last couple days.
    He's doing pretty well for such a young chap in the Pioneer League. Batting .265 with 13 doubles (2 HRs). Usually bats fifth in the lineup. Sometimes sixth.

And jeez... they couldn't have left Cingrani in there one more inning to get his first professional win? Dude was almost pitching a perfect game through four and they pull him? I understand wanting to take it easy on his arm, but I'm pretty sure he would have been OK to go 5 innings. They let McMyne go 5 the other day and he had more pitches than Cingrani through 4 innings. (Course, the Reds probably care more about protecting Cingrani's arm than they do McMyne's based on what we've seen thus far. Although, McMyne has been much-improved lately. But even his college stats were borderline garbage at Villanova.)

Quote Originally Posted by Grande Donkey View Post
    He's hitting .265 with a .740 OPS, which I'd say is very much holding his own for a 19-year-old in the Pioneer League--especially in his first professional season with any kind of extended action. He'll certainly move up in my rankings after this season.

Edit: Sorry, I missed Blitz's previous reply.

Turn Off Ads?