Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tuesday 08/09/11 MiLB Updates

Re: Tuesday 08/09/11 MiLB Updates

Donnie Joseph gets his third save in a week. Good news for him and Carolina, which wins 4-3. Curtis Partch had a solid start. Henry Rodriguez went 2-4 with a start at SS.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    Tony Cingrani might be a little too good for the Pioneer League. Tonight it was 4 IP, 1 H, 0 BB, 6 K. My man Nick O'Shea has homered (#7) and it's 2-0 after six. Waldrop has a double, Arias a triple.
    I'm liking me some Nick O'Shea more and more each day too. Gotta love a 24th-round pick that is putting up numbers like that ... especially a first baseman that can also play catcher at times. That kind of versatility will make him valuable if he can keep hitting.

Billings is a fun team to follow right now with Cingrani, Buckley, Waldrop, O'Shea and closer James Allen (looking like a nice 7th-round pick). Buckley was a great pick for the sixth round. Hopefully his D can hold up at 3B because there's no doubt he can hit. I would put Mugarian and Guillon on the list too, but they've been stinking up the joint for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    And jeez... they couldn't have left Cingrani in there one more inning to get his first professional win? Dude was almost pitching a perfect game through four and they pull him? I understand wanting to take it easy on his arm, but I'm pretty sure he would have been OK to go 5 innings. They let McMyne go 5 the other day and he had more pitches than Cingrani through 4 innings. (Course, the Reds probably care more about protecting Cingrani's arm than they do McMyne's based on what we've seen thus far. Although, McMyne has been much-improved lately. But even his college stats were borderline garbage at Villanova.)
    I'm guessing it is because in college McMyne was a starter and Cingrani was primarily a closer. They are gradually stetching him out. I have noticed that this organization seems to type pitchers early.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Donnie Joseph has a 2.53 ERA over his last 10 games (10.2 innings).

Four pitchers from the recent draft--Cingrani, Cole Green, Erik Miller and James Allen--combine on a 3-hit shutout. Billings wins 2-0.

It was the Mustangs' second straight shutout. Pretty impressive.

Matt Fairel cleaned it up a bit tonight, after a horrendous first start for Bakersfield: 6 IP, 7 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 4 K. Blaze are 0-0 after seven.
    Last edited by mace; 08-10-2011 at 12:30 AM.

Brodie Greene drove in a couple with a triple and Bakersfield leads 3-0 in the eighth.

Resident PED Expert

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    He's hitting .265 with a .740 OPS, which I'd say is very much holding his own for a 19-year-old in the Pioneer League--especially in his first professional season with any kind of extended action. He'll certainly move up in my rankings after this season.
    I've been singing his praises all year.

Kid will be one we are talkiing about in a year or two like we are Soto and Torreyes now.

He is top 20 now on my list.

Power, speed, huge frame, makes adjustments. Plays RF with a big arm.

Him and Arias complete the 20 or below group of high ceiling talent the Reds have.

1B Duran
    2B Torreyes
    3B Arias
    SS Hamilton
    LF Silva
    CF Yorman
    RF Waldrop
    C Barnhart

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    I've been singing his praises all year.

Kid will be one we are talkiing about in a year or two like we are Soto and Torreyes now.

He is top 20 now on my list.

Power, speed, huge frame, makes adjustments. Plays RF with a big arm.

Him and Arias complete the 20 or below group of high ceiling talent the Reds have.

1B Duran
    2B Torreyes
    3B Arias
    SS Hamilton
    LF Silva
    CF Yorman
    RF Waldrop
    C Barnhart
    I might put Gabriel Rosa at 1B with Duran in left over Silva. And there about five pitching prospects I'm really excited about.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I might put Gabriel Rosa at 1B with Duran in left over Silva. And there about five pitching prospects I'm really excited about.
    Agreed (or Rosa in LF).

Pitching staff of

1. Corcino
    2. Stephenson
    3. Guillon
    4. J.Perez
    5. Mugarian/Chacin/Cisco

That's some nice teenage talent.
    Go BLUE!!!

Pitching staff of

1. Corcino
    2. Stephenson
    3. Guillon
    4. J.Perez
    5. Mugarian/Chacin/Cisco
    Mitch Clarke is still 20 (barely). Gotta like him over many on this list, at this point.

Do not be surprised if Amir Garrett is on this list come next week, too. If I were betting, I'd wager they sign him.

Resident PED Expert

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Great Call.

I completely forgot about Rosa.

I'd put him in LF over Silva.

Amir Garrett is a Hamilton type player in terms of real true Raw athletic ability.

Smoking a 96 MPH fastball as a LHP by 18 and 19 year olds next year at Arizona should be a snap, it's those secondary pitches and how they develop that makes all the difference in the world as he advances.

Building his IP will be a challenge too. I would take a guess he will be 24 or 25 before he would ever be MLB ready as a starter. Unless he devotes all his attention to baseball before he is 22.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Agreed (or Rosa in LF).

Pitching staff of

1. Corcino
    2. Stephenson
    3. Guillon
    4. J.Perez
    5. Mugarian/Chacin/Cisco

That's some nice teenage talent.
    That's IF Stephenson signs. From what I saw a couple of days ago, it didn't look good.

Turn Off Ads?