Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does Jocketty still have fan support?

Baseball Heaven

Does Jocketty still have fan support?

I know that when he first came to the Reds organization and during the rebuild after years of bad teams he was well supported by the fan base, I am curious if after this season if he still has the same support he did have previously or is he on a much shorter leash with the fanbase as well as ownership going into next season?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Does Jocketty still have fan support?

tonights attendance of 17,000 should speak voulumns.. sadly Walt must still think this is a good team.. blah blah.. we fans are not stupid.. and the Cards didnt have 3 million fans when they were not winning each year, so they better not use that as an excuse for not doing anything to better this team!!

He has some fans left and if he dosent do anything major this offseason and he will lose the rest of his fans due to not helping the team.

Baseball Heaven

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfansince72 View Post
    tonights attendance of 17,000 should speak voulumns.. sadly Walt must still think this is a good team.. blah blah.. we fans are not stupid.. and the Cards didnt have 3 million fans when they were not winning each year, so they better not use that as an excuse for not doing anything to better this team!!
    I agree. Reds fans are very intelligent baseball fans. I was more wondering if it was ownership maybe stepping in a not signing off on deals or Walt thinking this team didnt have "it" to go all in this year. Seems like from the outside that Dusty played a role in free fall after the AS break as well.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I think Walt is too smart for his own good.

If I were Castellini, I'd return Walt to being an assistant to the owner, and make someone else the new GM (in name only). I'd continue to let Walt act like the GM, but not tell other teams.

I know it sounds corny and like a conspiracy theory, but it seems like when it comes to trades that other GM's are so fearful of being fleeced by Walt, that they ask for the world in return in a trade. Maybe if some other person (the new GM) were doing the talking, but Walt was doing the thinking behind the scenes, this wouldn't occur.

I'm not into conspiracies, but it always seems like because Walt is the GM, nobody will trade with the Reds, knowing how smart Walt is.

Crazy, I know.

I was glad he didn't do anything at the deadline. He needs to make something happen in the offseason though.

Quote Originally Posted by Hard9 View Post
    I know that when he first came to the Reds organization and during the rebuild after years of bad teams he was well supported by the fan base, I am curious if after this season if he still has the same support he did have previously or is he on a much shorter leash with the fanbase as well as ownership going into next season?
    It is difficult to speak for an entire fanbase, but in general I think Reds fans are frustrated by the slow promotions from AAA and inaction at the deadline. And as GM, he will always carry some respondsibility for what is done on the field. This being said, Baker is a much bigger target for criticism and is much likely to see the door first. Also, many fans have a favorite prospective manager in mind, but very few of them have a name for a replacement GM. For my 2 two cents, I would rather have Jocketty over Mozeliak; and its not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    I was glad he didn't do anything at the deadline. He needs to make something happen in the offseason though.
    ^ This. At the deadline the season was a wash...no need to make a move to just get a few more wins when the team is already 9-11 games back, but HE BETTER make some significant moves this offseason.

They have lost me for my paying support this year, as I will not be attending or watching anymore games this year, I haven't watched a game since the Mets series, after that I put myself in full football mode and just pretended that the baseball season was over. I may check the box score 3-4 times per week but that is all.

Even though I am win now guy, I agree with you. There were not enough impact players available at the trade deadline to make a difference this year. Things will have be addressed in the off-season.

I find it very interesting though - how most people last year - when the Reds were in first place (or contending) and went for Cliff Lee - didn't want to go for it because they didn't want to mortgage the future. But this year, when they were farther away and struggling - it was okay to go for it even though there weren't that many real difference makers available.

Quote Originally Posted by markymark69 View Post
    Even though I am win now guy, I agree with you. There were not enough impact players available at the trade deadline to make a difference this year. Things will have be addressed in the off-season.

I find it very interesting though - how most people last year - when the Reds were in first place (or contending) and went for Cliff Lee - didn't want to go for it because they didn't want to mortgage the future. But this year, when they were farther away and struggling - it was okay to go for it even though there weren't that many real difference makers available.
    Bingo! 100% nailed it here.

As for the fan base, it is typical Cincinnati. A small percentage of fans will go to their normal allotment of games (15-20 for me) regardless of what the team does. Another small percentage will play the phony "I'll never spend my money there until Walt/Dusty/Mike Brown is gone or whatever card." But, the bottom line is that the majority of Cincinnati fans are frontrunners. It has been proven time and time again with the Reds, Bengals, and Bearcats and is unlikely to change anytime soon.

I'm pretty frustrated with him but I'm giving him this offseason to improve the team before he loses my support.

id like to see a change in the offseason.

Im now on board with firing Dusty. Rick sweet would be nice as I think his experience in the minors wont stop him from brining up AAA guys ASAP.

What I want answered is:

What is Alonso's role on the team? he needs to learn a position and play everyday or be traded. Or trade votto for an OF stud to make room for Alonso.

What is Chapman's role on the team? It better be SP imo or we have wasted a lot of potential to settle for a close.

What is the future of: Bailey, Volquez, Wood, Willis.

What is Rolen's role on the team?

If Alonso ends up learning to be competant at 3rd will the manager keep rolen off the field? What happens with Fransico. Does he now become trade bait?

Speaking of trade bait: Obv Alonso and Grandal are our big pieces but do we use heisey, frazier, fransico, willis, wood, volquez, bailey for othe pieces.

What about FAs? I dont want any retreads. Is there an impactful player that we can acquire?

Brandon Phillips? Do we just pick up the option and let him walk after next year, or offer him a 3 year deal.

Just got back from two weeks in Cincinnati and if the people I talked to (a lot) are representative then yours is definitely the minority view. Not saying it is wrong; just that not many feel the same way as you do. Personally, I think it was a major blunder not to add someone at the deadline. Right or wrong, fans take that as a sign that the club is not trying. That the Reds have essentially tanked since the deadline only reinforces that opinion for many. Jocketty and Castellini erred IMO. Bigtime, dude.

On a completely different note, it is nice to see the Reds taking advantage of the "Easy" portion of the schedule.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Who Dey Time View Post
    Bingo! 100% nailed it here.

As for the fan base, it is typical Cincinnati. A small percentage of fans will go to their normal allotment of games (15-20 for me) regardless of what the team does. Another small percentage will play the phony "I'll never spend my money there until Walt/Dusty/Mike Brown is gone or whatever card." But, the bottom line is that the majority of Cincinnati fans are frontrunners. It has been proven time and time again with the Reds, Bengals, and Bearcats and is unlikely to change anytime soon.
    I actually get tired of this argument, and being called a frontrunner.

I like so many area teams, and they're all usually good. If one of them has a down season, yes I'm going to spend less money on them.

I'm a huge Bearcats fan. I love when the Bengals are doing well, which isn't very often. And been a Reds fan all my life. Also a family man with 2 talented daughters who are involved in alot of things.

I'm spread pretty thin, we're in a bad economy, and there is alot to choose from.

I had the privilege(?) of going to a couple of games while on vacation and in neither game did the Reds look fundamentally sound nor willing to run through a wall for their manager. Votto trying to tag and advance from first to second on a fly ball to right was Farney-esque. Taking the bat out of D-Train's hands and giving up an out was Baker-esque. The bottom line is baseball is an entertainment option and lately the Reds have not been very entertaining. I can't blame fans if they don't want to pay good money to watch this team.

Turn Off Ads?