Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cairo

Cairo

Surely to God the Reds have someone in the minors that is a better hitter than this guy.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    For a Level Playing Field

Re: Cairo

Makes me think of the Jamie Ramsey/Twitter thread. If you performed that poorly at your job, shouldn't you be relieved of your duties?

How long must this continue? This guy cannot hit and is an out machine. If he was a great fielding catcher (think of LaRussa's comment about Molina), then OK. He is a utility guy and (do not curse me) a pinch hitter.

Why? Are his clubhouse presence/leadership so important that it creates intangible wins that make up for all the outs? I am befuddled and sick-n-tired of it. He is not the only bad guy right now, but good god... what gives, Walt and Dusty?

The moment of truth for Cairo is when Votto comes back. We'll see if the Reds DL or cut Miggy at that time. If they cut XMan and keep Cairo there will be a one long thread around here.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    The moment of truth for Cairo is when Votto comes back. We'll see if the Reds DL or cut Miggy at that time. If they cut XMan and keep Cairo there will be a one long thread around here.
    One? You've been around here long enough to know there will be a lot more than one.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Trust me Dusty will fight to keep Cairo when Votto comes back.I'm hoping that they fix that bench before Sept 1 and have both he and Valdez out of here by then and I don't care who they replace them with.Won't happen though.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."

Wilson Valdez also has a .491 OPS. Reds have two players on the bench providing absolutely no value.

I feel like I'm beating a dead horse, but Cairo has a .174 BABIP in just over PA.

In 2010 he hit .290/.353/.410 (.320 BABIP). In 2011 he hit .265/.330/.412 (.279 BABIP). Unless somebody has a scouting report indicating otherwise, he did not suddenly lose the ability to hit. He's simply has had a stretch of bad performance/ bad luck that we should not expect to continue.

Cairo plays good defense at 3 positions and is well respected in the clubhouse. It is unlikely that either Didi Gregorious or Henry Rodriguez become the hitter Cairo already is. Don't get me wrong, Cairo is no stud. But trying to assess what a guy is likely to do moving forward based on his last 100 PA is always a bad idea.

Wilson Valdez, by contrast, is just a different shade of Paul Janish. He's not experiencing a slump, this is just what he is and he does virtually nothing to help this club.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I think Valdez is fine for what he is. A bunter, a fielder, and occasional spot starter. I don't get why Dusty gives him semi-regular starts.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I think Dusty is hoping someone else gets injured about the time Votto comes back so he doesn't have to give Cairo the news he's been cut.

It wouldn't surprise me that those who love Cairo are counting the days until the rosters enlarge in September so they can keep him around.

Every team needs backup infielders. Rarely can they hit well. If they can fill in defensively when needed, they are useful. Any hits they get are gravy.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I think Valdez is fine for what he is. A bunter, a fielder, and occasional spot starter. I don't get why Dusty gives him semi-regular starts.
    The only reason Valdez has seen a decent amount of PT lately is injury. Otherwise he would still be buried on the bench. He has seen significantly less action than he did in Philadelphia the last two years.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I feel like I'm beating a dead horse, but Cairo has a .174 BABIP in just over PA.

In 2010 he hit .290/.353/.410 (.320 BABIP). In 2011 he hit .265/.330/.412 (.279 BABIP). Unless somebody has a scouting report indicating otherwise, he did not suddenly lose the ability to hit. He's simply has had a stretch of bad performance/ bad luck that we should not expect to continue.
    Isn't Cairo at that age when players can and do suddenly lose the ability to hit?
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Every team needs backup infielders. Rarely can they hit well. If they can fill in defensively when needed, they are useful. Any hits they get are gravy.
    If they could hit well, they would be starting infielders.

Next year, I would not be surprised to see Didi Gregorius in The Valdez/Janish role of backup middle INF. He makes league minimum, and he would provide a left-handed bat for the bench. LH-hitting SS's are rarer than LH-hitting C's.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post

Cairo plays good defense at 3 positions and is well respected in the clubhouse. It is unlikely that either Didi Gregorious or Henry Rodriguez become the hitter Cairo already is. Don't get me wrong, Cairo is no stud. But trying to assess what a guy is likely to do moving forward based on his last 100 PA is always a bad idea.

Wilson Valdez, by contrast, is just a different shade of Paul Janish. He's not experiencing a slump, this is just what he is and he does virtually nothing to help this club.
    But to be fair. You could say that Cairo has just reverted back to what he has been all but four years of his long career, a guy who can't hit. The sample size that says that he is just a marginal bench guy who has fallen off the cliff, due to age, screams look at me. He has 2 walks in 108 plate appearances that suggest that pitchers aren't afraid of him putting the ball in play. He isn't striking out really either, I think it is fair to say that he just isn't hitting the ball hard. His line drive % is down and his infield popup % is way up.

I see a gritty older player with the ability to handle a bat, that can't create the bat speed necessary to be a big league asset.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

I think Cairo is not hitting because he has lost the ability to hit. He's 98 years old. It happens. Bat speed looks real slow, and has no power. I don't think he's a regression to .750 OPS waiting to happen.

I also think he has minimal defensive value at this point. Seeing him live for multiple games, he looked compeltely laughable at 2nd base and 1st base. I think he handles 3rd base okay, but that doesn't really matter on this team when we have two guys that do it better.

I'm a Cairo fan, but he's done, and needs to go when Votto comes back. I'd love to keep him as a coach, or if willing to accept an assignment to the minors for 15 days, he can come back in September.

Turn Off Ads?