Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2011 PGA Championship - Atlanta Athletic Club

Re: 2011 PGA Championship - Atlanta Athletic Club

I feel like the PGA rarely lets down when it comes to drama. It's widely known as the 4th best major, but its usually the best tournament.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    I feel like the PGA rarely lets down when it comes to drama. It's widely known as the 4th best major, but its usually the best tournament.
    True.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

www.kylevoska.com - Golfer? Check out my blog for golf tips.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    So if Tiger doesn't catch Jack vis a vis Major victories, will anyone? The field seems to be so wide open now.
    It's Tiger or bust.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    So if Tiger doesn't catch Jack vis a vis Major victories, will anyone? The field seems to be so wide open now.
    Nope. Not for a long while.

Jack's advantage was that when he played the fields as a whole were not nearly as deep. It was no where near as likely that someone who you hadn't heard of would come up and win a major. This was evidenced by the fact that he finished 1st 18 times and 2nd 19 times, and was in the top 5 56 times overall.
    Essentially, even if Jack wasn't on his game enough to win a tournament, he was always going to be in contention on Sunday.

Tiger's advantage was that although the overall level of the field had improved, he was essentially alone on a plateau above them. This is evidenced(though not as strongly as I suspected) by the fact that he finished in the top 5 only 15 times in tournaments he didn't win. Essentially, he either had his game in the right spot to win the tournament, and he did. Or he didn't have it, and would grind out a result with the rest of the hoi polloi.

So now that Tiger's gone, and the field has gotten even better so as to make it hard for anyone to truly stand out, I'll be surprised if anyone makes it to 10 majors.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    So now that Tiger's gone
    He isn't gone. He's down, but he'll be back. Not as good as he was, but he'll win again.

and the field has gotten even better so as to make it hard for anyone to truly stand out, I'll be surprised if anyone makes it to 10 majors.
    It'll be atleast 10 years before someone wins their 10th major. And I'd bet, it'll be atleast 20. Like you said, too much talent and no clear dominator.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    He isn't gone. He's down, but he'll be back. Not as good as he was, but he'll win again.

It'll be atleast 10 years before someone wins their 10th major. And I'd bet, it'll be atleast 20. Like you said, too much talent and no clear dominator.

Agree with both of these comments. Tiger will reinvent himself. He'll find another swing that will work and he wil find his confidence again, I believe. Never the level he had, when he knew every tournnament was his to win, but he still has the mind of a champion, regardless of his personal life problems. Very few have ever thought their way around a golf course as well as Tiger. He's in rarified air in that category, although the pack is catching up there too with advances in sports psychology becoming widespread.

He'd be the most marketable character in history if he'd go Charlie Sheen crazy and create a public personnae on the dark side. Fallen hero, beaten down by the world he once stood on top of......He should stay with the gotee, give us a little evil twin look. He should also go on WWF as a villian. Needs to break a few clubs too, all John McEnroe like.

No more robot Tiger, the emotionless Terminator. Bad Tiger.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post

He'd be the most marketable character in history if he'd go Charlie Sheen crazy and create a public personnae on the dark side. Fallen hero, beaten down by the world he once stood on top of......He should stay with the gotee, give us a little evil twin look. He should also go on WWF as a villian. Needs to break a few clubs too, all John McEnroe like.

No more robot Tiger, the emotionless Terminator. Bad Tiger.
    That'd be hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    I don't doubt that he'll win something again, but I'm skeptical that he'd be a good bet to win another major.

IMO the biggest advantage Tiger had when he was playing was that he was in his competitors head.
    I forget the exact scores, but I think he barely averaged par for the final rounds in the majors he won, but the person he was playing with (almost)always shot a round well over par, trying to play a perfect round.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the best tests he had in the majors came from a no name like Bob May and a "past his prime" Rocco Mediate. These guys had nothing to lose and were able to play loose.

In this way, when YE Yang out played him in the final round of the PGA 2 years ago, it broke through the veil of invincibility in my mind.

TMBS, I think Tiger can rebuild himself to say be at the level of the top pros but not ahead of them. I don't think he'll ever go into a major as the favorite again.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

Turn Off Ads?