Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Will Cueto get consideration for Cy Young?

Will Cueto get consideration for Cy Young?

If Johnny can continue at his current pace, would he get any serious consideration for the Cy Young award? After today's game he is ranked 1st in ERA and 2nd in WHIP of qualified pitchers. To me that has to put him in the discussion.
    "I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road." Stephen Hawking

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Will Cueto get consideration for Cy Young?

Quote Originally Posted by Caveman Techie View Post
    If Johnny can continue at his current pace, would he get any serious consideration for the Cy Young award? After today's game he is ranked 1st in ERA and 2nd in WHIP of qualified pitchers. To me that has to put him in the discussion.
    Halladay walks away with it, probably unanimous

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

He may get some votes, but Halladay is the easy winner.

Lots of other guys like Hamels and Kershaw having better seasons too.

He might get an "honorable mention" if he keeps up the current pace and, with 6-7 starts left, piles up some more wins.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Cliff Lee doesn't get any love?
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Unless he can somehow get to the 14-15 win range I highly doubt he will get much if any consideration for Cy Young. I'm not arguing that wins should carry that much influence in the voting, but I believe for a starting pitcher they would.

I guess I don't understand the Halladay lock on it? He pitches in a neutral ballpark, where Cueto pitches in a hitters park. Yeah he has the Wins, but that ain't Johnny's fault.

Strike outs and Wins are sexy but, for a SP I thought ERA and WHIP were the king stats to look at.
    "I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road." Stephen Hawking

I wish he was...but I've a feeling Halladay will get it on name alone.
    I've hope that Hernandez's AL Cy Young last year might help Cueto at least get a few votes. But, Johnny is not nearly the strikeout pitcher - and as I totally hate to say it, K's are most likely going to get a pitcher a lot of love when being considered for the award. All in all, I think missing his first few starts will end up hurting more, as they seem to make his statistics less noticeable to those who are not paying attention to him.

What will really hurt Cueto is the injury to start the year. After today he is still 56th in the NL in innings pitched. You will have commentators mentioning that you can't get the award for 2/3rds of a year.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/pitchin...t/thirdInnings

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    What will really hurt Cueto is the injury to start the year. After today he is still 56th in the NL in innings pitched. You will have commentators mentioning that you can't get the award for 2/3rds of a year.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/pitchin...t/thirdInnings
    Many of those same commentators were probably pro-Strasburg in the all-star game a year ago and pro-Sabathia for NL Cy Young when he pitched half of a season for the Brewers.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished

Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    The base you want to acquire is home.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Halladay or Lee -- it's a pick 'em right now with the edge to Halladay based on the fact that he could, theoretically, get to 20 wins.

Cueto won't even be in the discussion, nor should he be with the seasons that those two are having.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

If he finishes with a 2.00 ERA, he'll get some votes on that alone. But when you look at his low innings total, low strikeouts, and low win total, he doesn't stand a chance. He really hasn't been any more effective than say, Tim Hudson or Yovanni Gallardo and nobody is putting them in the converstaion. Really, a lucky ERA is all Cueto has going for him. Unfortunately, he's likely to sustain a .228 BABIP and 5.8 HR/FB.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Halladay, Lee, Hamels, and Kershaw are far more deserving.

I would think he would need more run support and run off 5 or 6 wins in a row to get any real support, but I agree that Halladay runs away with it and there is now way for Jonny to actually win the award.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    If he finishes with a 2.00 ERA, he'll get some votes on that alone. But when you look at his low innings total, low strikeouts, and low win total, he doesn't stand a chance. He really hasn't been any more effective than say, Tim Hudson or Yovanni Gallardo and nobody is putting them in the converstaion. Really, a lucky ERA is all Cueto has going for him. Unfortunately, he's likely to sustain a .228 BABIP and 5.8 HR/FB.
    While I agree he has a low BABIP and is not likely to sustain that he is also 2nd on the list for WHIP. So while he isn't very likely to end the season with a sub 2.00 ERA it won't go up by that significant of an amount. Heck right now he leads everyone else by almost a half a point in ERA he has some room to play with.

Turn Off Ads?