Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Your comfort level with Cozart (non-poll poll)

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Your comfort level with Cozart (non-poll poll)

Last offseason, the Reds thought they had a guy who could hold down shortstop in Janish. But they weren't real sure about it, thus the veteran insurance of Renteria. (And, of course, there were plenty of people here on RedsZone who had serious doubts about either, or both.) In the event, neither of them could hit water falling out of a boat, thus the clamor for Cozart. Cozart came up and looked decent in what unfortunately turned out to be a limited sample.

So, as the outlook turns to the 2012 Reds, what is your comfort level with Cozart? Are you okay with counting on him as the starter, or do you still consider it a priority for the Reds to upgrade with a proven guy from the outside? (By proven, I don't mean "proven, but he isn't that guy anymore" e.g. Renteria, I mean a guy who's still a viable regular.) In other words, without the benefit of hindsight, are you more likely to:

1) Criticize the acquisition of a shortstop because it'll take up payroll that could have gone somewhere else, since we have a cheap alternative on hand that looks like he can do the job; or

2) Criticize the organization for not acquiring a shortstop because you don't believe Cozart is the answer and we'll be right back where we were this year?
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Your comfort level with Cozart (non-poll poll)

I am completely comfortable with Cozart as the everyday SS next year if, and only if, the Reds adequately address the LF situation and bring in a legitimate cleanup hitter.

But regardless of what transpires, in no way shape or form should Paul Janish be counted upon next year. I wouldn't even have him on the roster as a backup. He offers absolutely nothing offensively (he should hit 9th behind D-Train, Leake, Arroyo without a doubt) and his defense is both overrated and somewhat easily replaced.

I think he will make sense for a time. I'd project 260/310/410 for him with a solid glove, but it wouldn't surprise me if he OPS'd 750 or higher. That won't blow people away but you can spend more and do much worse at shortstop. They should free up resources for other areas imo

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    I am completely comfortable with Cozart as the everyday SS next year if, and only if, the Reds adequately address the LF situation and bring in a legitimate cleanup hitter.
    This.

Or the rumored trade of Bautista for Votto, which opens up 1B for Alonso. In that case, I'd also be perfectly fine w/ Cozart @ SS.

I would feel completely comfortable with Cozart as our opening day SS. He's not all star, but I think he could be awfully similar to JJ Hardy.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I agree with most. I'm fine with Zach as the everyday SS. At the very least, I think he'd be a decent eight hole hitter. If a bett option comes along, then by all means, jump on it, but for now, I would put SS fourth in the pecking order behind a power-hitting LF, a TOR SP and a young 3B - resources would be better spent addressing those needs, IMO.

question: is he going to be physically ready to play SS opening day? if so then i am fine with him as the everyday SS.

I'm fine with Cozart. The Reds have bigger fish to fry. If they could get a middle of the order bat to play SS, then go get it. Otherwise, Cozart with Janish backing him up is fine. Use the money on impact stuff. Don't need another Renteria, Cabrera or Gonzalez at this point.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

I'm very confident in Cozart. He won't be Barry Larkin, but I do think he'll hold down the starting SS job for the foreseeable future. Not spectacular by any means, but is solid in every area.

I for one never thought Janish would end up winning the starting job long-term. I don't look for the team to bring in an "expensive" backup like Renteria this offseason. I think Cozart will be the starter and they can still use Janish as the backup if they want. I don't mind Soft J as a backup, but he should never be considered for a starting role ever again (sans injuries to players ahead of him like right now).

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    I'm very confident in Cozart. He won't be Barry Larkin, but I do think he'll hold down the starting SS job for the foreseeable future. Not spectacular by any means, but is solid in every area.

I for one never thought Janish would end up winning the starting job long-term. I don't look for the team to bring in an "expensive" backup like Renteria this offseason. I think Cozart will be the starter and they can still use Janish as the backup if they want. I don't mind Soft J as a backup, but he should never be considered for a starting role ever again (sans injuries to players ahead of him like right now).
    ideally find a lefty hitting 2B/SS or 2B/SS/3B as a backup. Janish can be a replacement level guy stashed in AAA in the case of an emergency.

Cozart should provide at least a league average SS glove and, with his power, will OPS at least the league average SS (). Assuming Janish backs him up, their overall SS spot should be above average.

That, for league minimum, is great value.

It's also an easy choice to keep Cozart as the starter while looking for that TOR starter.

I'm very comfortable with Cozart. You might even say that I'm "cozy".

Yeah, I did (unfortunately).

Can Alonso play SS? Yes,but I too worry about his elbow.Hope he heals better than Doug did.What do you think Doug?
    May the Lord bless

I'm very comfortable, but I fear his TJ surgery will prompt Walt to go out and find another aging SS just in case. I hope not though.

I'd be more comfortable with Cozart at SS on Opening Day than the likes of Renteria, OCab, or AGON. I don't know if he will be as good offensively over a full season as he was in his short time before injury in 2011 but I'd rather take my chances with him than another thirty-something SS with little to no range defensively.

Turn Off Ads?