Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Your comfort level with Cozart (non-poll poll)

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Re: Your comfort level with Cozart (non-poll poll)

I'm Cozy with Cozart.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

2. Turn Off Ads?

I didn't see this thread the first time around, but I'll say here what I would have said then and what I've said in the minor league forum. I've been a big fan of Cozart since I saw him play for the Dragons. My wife's friend got tickets from work shortly after our son was born. She told us to get the heck out of the house, gave us the tickets and watched our son while we took in the game/dinner. Cozart had the rep as an all glove-no stick SS, and even then, its not like his glove rep was over the top, just a guy they thought could stick there if his bat took him to the majors. I didn't get to see him doing anything but the routine in the field that night, but at the plate he impressed me greatly. I think he picked up 2 hits (single/double), moved the runner over on a hit into the 2b hole, and struk out the other plate apperance that we saw. But it wasn't the single, or the double or the hit to the right side of the infield to move the runner to 3rd that impressed me specifically, it was his approach at the plate. Each time up, he appeared to be a guy that knew what he could do, and what he should do each time up at the plate depending on the situation. No swinging from the heels, no chasing balls out of the zone, fouling off a couple of pitches on the edges with 2 strikes, etc... I came away thinking Cozart's approach was exactly what I'd like to see out of my 2 hole hitter and was certain he had a great shot at making and sticking in the show in a few seasons.

I believe Cozart saw some struggles the following season, but from that point forward has been rock steady at every step along the way. I was perfectly comfortable (assuming he was 100% recovered from his injury) w/ handing him the SS job and the 2 hole job. I really don't think what he's done in his limited ML time to date is a fluke. Sure he'll see some struggles as the book gets out on him more and more, but I don't think he's going to be the kind of guy that goes into prolonged slumps.

I'm very happy with Cozart. Even though his current tear is not sustainable he is such a breath of fresh air when you think about our recent shortstops.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    I'm very happy with Cozart. Even though his current tear is not sustainable he is such a breath of fresh air when you think about our recent shortstops.
    Well said.

I don't expect him to sustain it. But he's solid defensively and makes things happen offensively. Maybe he comes crashing hard back down to earth. I think he can be solid.

He's a breathe of fresh air, IMHO.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I am fairly comfortable with Cozart. Defensively, he is going to be good. Offensively, so far he has been great, but I see him as more of a .275-280 type of hitter with some good pop for shortstop.

Very, very comfortable. He looks to be the kind of player who keeps getting better. Tremendous baseball IQ. He's a keeper.

Really impressed with Cozart defensively. Sure hands and just made a great play to save a run against the Nats.

Seems to be a solid addition. Kudos to Buckley and the farm system for drafting and developing him. I recall at the time of the draft not many were too excited about him. IIRC, he profiled as a decent-fielding, light-hitting middle infielder -- solid all-around prospect, but most thought they took him too high. I think it is safe to say that those critics were wrong, since the Reds got a major-league shortstop.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Seems to be a solid addition. Kudos to Buckley and the farm system for drafting and developing him. I recall at the time of the draft not many were too excited about him. IIRC, he profiled as a decent-fielding, light-hitting middle infielder -- solid all-around prospect, but most thought they took him too high. I think it is safe to say that those critics were wrong, since the Reds got a major-league shortstop.
    The reports on Cozart were that he probably wouldn't hit much at the MLB level. To his own admission, he had to learn to swing differently as a pro than he did in college. He says in college that he was essentially all arms, but could get away with it. As a pro he said he had to learn to use his entire body in his swing. Good job by all involved there. The scouts had to see he had the ability to make the changes, Zack had to listen to his coaches and the coaches had to help him along the way to continue to make the right steps and improvements.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    The reports on Cozart were that he probably wouldn't hit much at the MLB level. To his own admission, he had to learn to swing differently as a pro than he did in college. He says in college that he was essentially all arms, but could get away with it. As a pro he said he had to learn to use his entire body in his swing. Good job by all involved there. The scouts had to see he had the ability to make the changes, Zack had to listen to his coaches and the coaches had to help him along the way to continue to make the right steps and improvements.
    Thanks, Doug. This puts a lot more perspective on what I was sensing, that there should indeed be congratulations all around -- to the scouts, to the minor league coaches, and to Zack himself, of course, for developing a successful major league shortstop for this franchise. Only time will tell, of course, whether Cozart is the long-term answer. But early returns look promising indeed!
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

He's cooled off a little, but still looks very good. Defense has looked great and he's still sporting a OPS north of .800.

Cozart reminds me a lot of JJ Hardy. At the plate, he's got good power, decent contact, mediocre discipline. In the field, he's just solidly above average all around. On balance, that's an average to above average SS who could make an ASG or two.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Cozart reminds me a lot of JJ Hardy.
    Hardy? I don't know. I think he'll BA higher but won't ever reach 30 homers.

He's a hard guy to comp. He had a decent walk rate in 08 and 09 but not so much in 10 and 11. He's flashed power and speed but you can't define a minor league trajectory.

I'm thinking Jeff Blauser with a better glove.

Perhaps slightly less power but more speed and better defense than Hardy IMO. I'll take that everyday of the week. Looks like he could and should be the Reds starting SS for the next five years at least.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Hardy? I don't know. I think he'll BA higher but won't ever reach 30 homers.

He's a hard guy to comp. He had a decent walk rate in 08 and 09 but not so much in 10 and 11. He's flashed power and speed but you can't define a minor league trajectory.

I'm thinking Jeff Blauser with a better glove.
    I've always thought Alex Gonzalez. Similar steady glove, some OB issues and enough power to put up double digit HR. Agon was a little past it here and had family and injury issues limiting him, but he's been a pretty darned good SS and I think Cozart would be a great success if he has a similar career.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Turn Off Ads?