Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Top 4

Top 4

1. Who are the top 4 players/coaches most responsible for the reds collapse this year?
    1. Drew stubbs 2. Volquez 3. Dusty 4. Rolen

2. Who are the top 4 players/coaches most not responsible for the collapse?
    1. Cueto 2. Hernandez 3. Votto 4. Phillips

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Top 4

1. Arroyo 2. Rolen 3. Stubbs 4. Dusty

1. Votto 2. Cueto 3. Phillips 4. Ramon

How Jacoby isnt #1 on anyones list is crazy

Ditto Jocketty. (Even though he doesn't meet the player/coach criterion)

Quote Originally Posted by Skreep View Post
    How Jacoby isnt #1 on anyones list is crazy
    If we are judging the coaches, how can Bryan Price not be more responsible for the failure of the 2011 Reds than Brook Jacoby. By most every statistical category, the pitching is the primary reason for the demise. That said, I don't think either coach or Dusty for that matter is more responsible than the players.

My top 4 most responsible: 1) Arroyo 2) Rolen 3) Stubbs 4a) Volquez 4b) Masset

Top 4 not responsible: 1) Cueto 2) Votto 3) Hernandez 4) Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Red View Post
    If we are judging the coaches, how can Bryan Price not be more responsible for the failure of the 2011 Reds than Brook Jacoby. By most every statistical category, the pitching is the primary reason for the demise. That said, I don't think either coach or Dusty for that matter is more responsible than the players.

I feel like it's harder to blame Jacoby or Price because its strictly based on the results, and not what the coaches are possibly working on with them, or telling them to do. With Dusty, you can at least see in game decisions that you disagree with like leaving Gomes/Janish in the lineup for such a long period of time. That being said, I dont really hate Dusty like a lot of people, just saying I think a really good manager may have made a difference in all these 1 run games.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Red View Post

i agree with price. whatever he taught all the pitchers in the offseason messed a lot of things up. i just look at bruces and stubbs. they still have the same broken swing. what is Jacoby doing to fix it?

1) Dusty
    2) Baker
    3) The idiot who thought the wscoreboard was wrong
    4) The cretin who keeps batting stubbs first and janish second

Quote Originally Posted by Skreep View Post
    i agree with price. whatever he taught all the pitchers in the offseason messed a lot of things up. i just look at bruces and stubbs. they still have the same broken swing. what is Jacoby doing to fix it?
    What about Cueto though? Don't you think it could just be a coincidence that some pitchers haven't met expections? Volquez is coming of TJ surgery, and I dont personally feel like Arroyo is Healthy. I would say Leake has been as good or improved, and whose to say the league didn't just figure Wood out after his first time through? Just playing devils advocate, but I think its a possibility. Dontrelle Willis also seems to be doing better than he has in years.

Quote Originally Posted by mroby85 View Post
    What about Cueto though? Don't you think it could just be a coincidence that some pitchers haven't met expections? Volquez is coming of TJ surgery, and I dont personally feel like Arroyo is Healthy. I would say Leake has been as good or improved, and whose to say the league didn't just figure Wood out after his first time through? Just playing devils advocate, but I think its a possibility. Dontrelle Willis also seems to be doing better than he has in years.
    I'm talking about the way they started the year. Willis wasnt with us, And Cueto was injured. Leake struggled with command to start the season which led him to the BP. He has been great since. If Arroyo or Volquez werent 100% to start the season, they should have never been used. Im not sure if thats a great excuse or not. Wood started the season with issues too. Massett has struggled also. i just think its a hell of a coincidence that quite a few pitchers started the season with problems. If it is, well, then that sucks

Baker, Price, Jacoby, Jockerty (for not hiring his own man the second he came to Cincy)

Most Responsible 1)Volquez 2)Arroyo 3)Rolen 4)Gomes

Not Responsible 1)Votto 2)Cueto 3)Bray 4)Pinch Hitters

Bruce, Stubbs, Phillips & Hanigan have not improved, but was hoping they would. (more disappointed than anything)

Hernandez has excelled, but not listed beacuse he gets some of the blame for the pitching.

Most responsible: 1. Rolen (whether its his "fault" or not, the lack of production from that spot is huge) 2. The Janish/Renteria combo (ER is hot, but neither has hit overall and the defense has been a huge dissapointment) 3. Arroyo 4. Volquez
    Not responsible: 1. Cueto 2. The rookies 3. Phillips 4. Hernandez

The good: Cueto, Votto, Phillips, Cairo/Hernanigan
    The bad: Rolen, Stubbs, Janish, Masset
    The ugly: Walt's offseason, Dusty, Volquez, Arroyo

1. Arroyo. In 23 starts he's given up 4 or more earned runs 13 times. Leake, by comparison, has only done that 5 times in his 23 starts. Arroyo has only given up 2 or fewer earned runs 5 times in his 23 starts. Leake has done this 14 times. Cueto has done it 13 times in 18 starts. If Arroyo pitches anything close to like he did last season and we'd be in a much better spot.

2. Brook Jacoby. Does he work with the hitters? Ever? What exactly is he getting paid to do?

3. Dusty Baker. His use of the bullpen has been brutal this season. His insistence that the CF bat 1st and SS bat 2nd.

4. Janish/Renteria. They essentially wasted the entire first half of the season from SS by not hitting or fielding. They've both been better since the break, especially Renteria, but the entire first half they were a black hole of production. A .227 BA and a .277 OBP. Batting 2nd, of course. See #3.

Turn Off Ads?