Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 53

Thread: One run losses

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    119

    One run losses

    Would you blame them on Dusty?



    Or would you blame them on the fact that our batters were hitting 37-199 (.185) with RISP in those games?

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    654

    Re: One run losses

    he gets the lions share of the blame for his obstreporous, obstinate, obtuse idiocy

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    119

    Re: One run losses

    Quote Originally Posted by nux fan View Post
    he gets the lions share of the blame for his obstreporous, obstinate, obtuse idiocy
    good job backing your argument up.

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    297

    Re: One run losses

    Who made out the lineups that produced those stats?

    Dusty Baker has a well known philosophy of hitting that essentially supports an approach that says "you get one pitch per at bat you can drive, look for that pitch and drive it".

    He hired a hitting coach that feels the same way.

    The hitting approach taken by this team is a direct reflection of how the manager wants them to do it.

    Last year, that approach worked. However, over the long haul, that faulty approach is being exposed.

    Different manager = different approach, different hitting coach, different lineup & different results.

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    119

    Re: One run losses

    Quote Originally Posted by FireDusty View Post
    Who made out the lineups that produced those stats?

    Dusty Baker has a well known philosophy of hitting that essentially supports an approach that says "you get one pitch per at bat you can drive, look for that pitch and drive it".

    He hired a hitting coach that feels the same way.

    The hitting approach taken by this team is a direct reflection of how the manager wants them to do it.

    Last year, that approach worked. However, over the long haul, that faulty approach is being exposed.

    Different manager = different approach, different hitting coach, different lineup & different results.
    so your actual argument is that professional baseball players, who are paid to hit the ball, will somehow not hit based on when they step to the plate, and its not their fault? LOL. OMFG.

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Posts
    860

    Re: One run losses

    Quote Originally Posted by Skreep View Post
    so your actual argument is that professional baseball players, who are paid to hit the ball, will somehow not hit based on when they step to the plate, and its not their fault? LOL. OMFG.
    If they're not being taught the correct approach how are they supposed to be able to get good results?
    "There are high fastballs and then theres Chapman's high fastball" -Chris Welsh

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    297

    Re: One run losses

    Quote Originally Posted by Skreep View Post
    so your actual argument is that professional baseball players, who are paid to hit the ball, will somehow not hit based on when they step to the plate, and its not their fault? LOL. OMFG.
    It's not really about 'fault", but...Yes....hitters who have shown that they are going to break the all time record for strikeouts, hitter who had one 6 week stretch that somehow warranted a lifetime contract from Dusty, #8 hitters batting 2nd, 300 hitting catchers batting 8th.......players not being called up that could help, players that can help being called up and sat, idiotic double switches........the day isn't long enough to point out all the idiocy that is Dusty Baker.

    Like I have said, he will either be fired during this offseason, or after the next.

    Me = Right
    You = Wrong

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    119

    Re: One run losses

    Quote Originally Posted by bshall2105 View Post
    If they're not being taught the correct approach how are they supposed to be able to get good results?
    we have quite a few wins, so a majority of the players have a good enough approach to win games. this thread was basically about people who think managers are the blame for one run losses.

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    144

    Re: One run losses

    Partially (but a BIG partial) Dusty is responsible for making a winning line up day in and day out. I think he does that POORLY often. Pitching mngt. Is also weak imo. But even bigger..I wonder where his energy for the game is? He sits A LOT...and doesn't seem to care or get emotional during close games. Players can't help but mirror their leader with low energy, and low emotional intensity during close games. Dusty seems to want to not make waves, lay low and massage a players ego, instead of maybe creating conflict with proactice decisions that could help make the team win that night. I feel he's afraid of making the needed gut decisions to win for fear of conflict with players egos. He's a players coach..not a competiive one imo.
    Partial blame lies with hitters not producing with runners on.
    The hitting coach gets partial blame too I assume, although I'm not at practice.
    Bullpen gets partial blame...for allowing the run or two, of the one run game.
    And lastly, just bad percentage of luck. Lots of little things that happened during the season in close games that luckily went our way last year..but not this year.
    Blames goes all the way around...but dusty gets a large part imo.

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    119

    Re: One run losses

    Quote Originally Posted by FireDusty View Post
    It's not really about 'fault", but...Yes....hitters who have shown that they are going to break the all time record for strikeouts, hitter who had one 6 week stretch that somehow warranted a lifetime contract from Dusty, #8 hitters batting 2nd, 300 hitting catchers batting 8th.......players not being called up that could help, players that can help being called up and sat, idiotic double switches........the day isn't long enough to point out all the idiocy that is Dusty Baker.

    Like I have said, he will either be fired during this offseason, or after the next.

    Me = Right
    You = Wrong
    who did we have to replace stubbs? Gomes? Heisey? Lewis? Its not Dustys job to call up or sign a replacement.

    Also, smart guy, you want a good batter hitting 8th. If you have runners on, you want a chance to knock them in before the pitcher comes to bat. Whats the point of having two men on, two men out, and having your two worst hitters coming to the plate?

  12. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    654

    Re: One run losses

    nice job by baker putting strike out artists in front of votto

  13. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Posts
    860

    Re: One run losses

    Quote Originally Posted by nux fan View Post
    nice job by baker putting strike out artists in front of votto
    Yeah I still can't get over Stubbs being in the leadoff spot all year when it has been clear for the past 2 years that he is an awful lead off hitter.
    "There are high fastballs and then theres Chapman's high fastball" -Chris Welsh

  14. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Athens, Ohio
    Posts
    346

    Re: One run losses

    Quote Originally Posted by bshall2105 View Post
    Yeah I still can't get over Stubbs being in the leadoff spot all year when it has been clear for the past 2 years that he is an awful lead off hitter.
    Who currently on this team would be better?

  15. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Posts
    860

    Re: One run losses

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Rover View Post
    Who currently on this team would be better?
    Heisey, Phillips, Bruce, Lewis, I'd even take Cairo.
    "There are high fastballs and then theres Chapman's high fastball" -Chris Welsh

  16. #15
    13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    839

    Re: One run losses

    Quote Originally Posted by bshall2105 View Post
    Heisey, Phillips, Bruce, Lewis, I'd even take Cairo.
    Heisey and Bruce strike out almost as often, plus can you imagine the backlash if Bruce was leading off instead of batting in the middle of the order. The Dusty-haters would go berzerk.
    What if this is as good as it gets?


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25