Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: One run losses

One run losses

Would you blame them on Dusty?

Or would you blame them on the fact that our batters were hitting 37-199 (.185) with RISP in those games?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: One run losses

he gets the lions share of the blame for his obstreporous, obstinate, obtuse idiocy

Quote Originally Posted by nux fan View Post
    he gets the lions share of the blame for his obstreporous, obstinate, obtuse idiocy
    good job backing your argument up.

Who made out the lineups that produced those stats?

Dusty Baker has a well known philosophy of hitting that essentially supports an approach that says "you get one pitch per at bat you can drive, look for that pitch and drive it".

He hired a hitting coach that feels the same way.

The hitting approach taken by this team is a direct reflection of how the manager wants them to do it.

Last year, that approach worked. However, over the long haul, that faulty approach is being exposed.

Different manager = different approach, different hitting coach, different lineup & different results.

Quote Originally Posted by FireDusty View Post
    Who made out the lineups that produced those stats?

Dusty Baker has a well known philosophy of hitting that essentially supports an approach that says "you get one pitch per at bat you can drive, look for that pitch and drive it".

He hired a hitting coach that feels the same way.

The hitting approach taken by this team is a direct reflection of how the manager wants them to do it.

Last year, that approach worked. However, over the long haul, that faulty approach is being exposed.

Different manager = different approach, different hitting coach, different lineup & different results.
    so your actual argument is that professional baseball players, who are paid to hit the ball, will somehow not hit based on when they step to the plate, and its not their fault? LOL. OMFG.

Quote Originally Posted by Skreep View Post
    so your actual argument is that professional baseball players, who are paid to hit the ball, will somehow not hit based on when they step to the plate, and its not their fault? LOL. OMFG.
    If they're not being taught the correct approach how are they supposed to be able to get good results?
    "There are high fastballs and then theres Chapman's high fastball" -Chris Welsh

Quote Originally Posted by Skreep View Post
    It's not really about 'fault", but...Yes....hitters who have shown that they are going to break the all time record for strikeouts, hitter who had one 6 week stretch that somehow warranted a lifetime contract from Dusty, #8 hitters batting 2nd, 300 hitting catchers batting 8th.......players not being called up that could help, players that can help being called up and sat, idiotic double switches........the day isn't long enough to point out all the idiocy that is Dusty Baker.

Like I have said, he will either be fired during this offseason, or after the next.

Me = Right
    You = Wrong

Quote Originally Posted by bshall2105 View Post
    If they're not being taught the correct approach how are they supposed to be able to get good results?
    we have quite a few wins, so a majority of the players have a good enough approach to win games. this thread was basically about people who think managers are the blame for one run losses.

Partially (but a BIG partial) Dusty is responsible for making a winning line up day in and day out. I think he does that POORLY often. Pitching mngt. Is also weak imo. But even bigger..I wonder where his energy for the game is? He sits A LOT...and doesn't seem to care or get emotional during close games. Players can't help but mirror their leader with low energy, and low emotional intensity during close games. Dusty seems to want to not make waves, lay low and massage a players ego, instead of maybe creating conflict with proactice decisions that could help make the team win that night. I feel he's afraid of making the needed gut decisions to win for fear of conflict with players egos. He's a players coach..not a competiive one imo.
    Partial blame lies with hitters not producing with runners on.
    The hitting coach gets partial blame too I assume, although I'm not at practice.
    Bullpen gets partial blame...for allowing the run or two, of the one run game.
    And lastly, just bad percentage of luck. Lots of little things that happened during the season in close games that luckily went our way last year..but not this year.
    Blames goes all the way around...but dusty gets a large part imo.

Quote Originally Posted by FireDusty View Post
    It's not really about 'fault", but...Yes....hitters who have shown that they are going to break the all time record for strikeouts, hitter who had one 6 week stretch that somehow warranted a lifetime contract from Dusty, #8 hitters batting 2nd, 300 hitting catchers batting 8th.......players not being called up that could help, players that can help being called up and sat, idiotic double switches........the day isn't long enough to point out all the idiocy that is Dusty Baker.

Like I have said, he will either be fired during this offseason, or after the next.

Me = Right
    You = Wrong
    who did we have to replace stubbs? Gomes? Heisey? Lewis? Its not Dustys job to call up or sign a replacement.

Also, smart guy, you want a good batter hitting 8th. If you have runners on, you want a chance to knock them in before the pitcher comes to bat. Whats the point of having two men on, two men out, and having your two worst hitters coming to the plate?

nice job by baker putting strike out artists in front of votto

Quote Originally Posted by nux fan View Post
    nice job by baker putting strike out artists in front of votto
    Yeah I still can't get over Stubbs being in the leadoff spot all year when it has been clear for the past 2 years that he is an awful lead off hitter.

Yeah I still can't get over Stubbs being in the leadoff spot all year when it has been clear for the past 2 years that he is an awful lead off hitter.
    Who currently on this team would be better?

Quote Originally Posted by Red Rover View Post
    Who currently on this team would be better?
    Heisey, Phillips, Bruce, Lewis, I'd even take Cairo.

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

Heisey, Phillips, Bruce, Lewis, I'd even take Cairo.
    Heisey and Bruce strike out almost as often, plus can you imagine the backlash if Bruce was leading off instead of batting in the middle of the order. The Dusty-haters would go berzerk.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

Turn Off Ads?