Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jim Day - Play by play tonight?

Jim Day - Play by play tonight?

From John Fay's blog:

Due to scheduling conflicts, Jim Day will be doing play-by-play for the Reds-Padres series on Fox Sports Ohio alongside Chris Welsh. Reds Live pre- and post-game shows will be hosted by Jeff Piecoro and Brian Giesenschlag.
    Has he ever done any in game broadcasting before? This will be interesting!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Re: Jim Day - Play by play tonight?

There is nothing interesting about Jim Day. I think I remember Picoro filling in, but not Day. Hit the snooze alarm.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Haunted by walks

Seriously, this season has to be an all-time baseball record for one team's announcing crews.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by batsfan View Post
    From John Fay's blog:

Has he ever done any in game broadcasting before? This will be interesting!
    Not for the Reds. I sat next to him and did color commentary while he did PBP for a baseball game on TV when we were in college.

I did it for a lark. He was serious. This is an opportunity he's been gearing up for for years. He'll do just fine.
    Last edited by Unassisted; 08-12-2011 at 05:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    There is nothing interesting about Jim Day. I think I remember Picoro filling in, but not Day. Hit the snooze alarm.
    You should talk to/with him while just watching a ballgame. Dude's hilarious and has a vast knowledge of this team. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt going into tonight. :shrug:

I feel like he did a fill in a few years back, but I must be wrong since no one else remembers it.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

"Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

He's not Vin Scully, but I think he's doing a solid job. Very conversational, providing some tidbits, but not trying to do too much. I prefer him to Marty whining and barely calling the action or George Grande's rainbows and sunshine routine.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I think he is doing a well enough job. More than what I did expect when I heard he was going to be filling in. I will say though, he had me laughing when he did his Sean Casey impression.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I prefer Day to Picoro. I'm always worried Pic is going to kiss one of the players during his postgame interviews. He literally drools at times. Don't get me wrong, I like that he's a homer, but we can all admit that Pic takes it too far and some of his postgame interviews are embarrassing. It's almost as if they just pulled a fan from the stands to interview a player. Pic reminds me of the "Chris Farley Show" at times. "Hey, remember when you hit that game-winning home run? That was awesome!" Player: "Yeah, I remember. It just happened 5 minutes ago."

Day is doing pretty good. Course, maybe that's just because I just flipped from the Bungles game and any PBP announcer sounds better than Brad Johannson.

I think Jim Day is doing a very good job thus far.

-Matt

Day doesn't have a very good "voice" but I think he's doing pretty well. Certainly not as annoying as Thom or Brantley.

I'd be happy if this was the primary duo. (small sample size noted)
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Blowing away bad memories Redsfan320's Avatar

Congrats to JD on a very solid game tonight. I, for one, am looking forward to hearing more, and would feel just fine about it if they dumped Thom and went with a JD, Kelch, and Grande rotation.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

I can't believe I'm going to say this (because I've always thought of him as the class clown type), but Jim Day did a pretty good job, and I'm looking forward to tomorrow's broadcast. He did much better than expected. (I also cracked up at his Sean Casey impression.)
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

I was pleasantly surprised. He is much more suited for this job than pre/postgame.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Turn Off Ads?