Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saturdee 8-13-11 Minor League Updates

Saturdee 8-13-11 Minor League Updates

Gabriel Rosa has homered but the AZL Reds trail 7-5 in the sixth. Not the best day for young Eliezer Beard.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Saturdee 8-13-11 Minor League Updates

Our boys in Arizona rallied late and prevailed, 9-8. Brandon Dailey (2-5, .346) singled in Humberto Valor (2-3, 2 doubles), who had doubled, for the game-winner in the eighth. In addition to Rosa, Steve Selsky homered.

Alejandro (Spanish for "Unhittable") Chacin breezed to his 10th save.

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    Our boys in Arizona rallied late and prevailed, 9-8. Brandon Dailey (2-5, .346) singled in Humberto Valor (2-3, 2 doubles), who had doubled, for the game-winner in the eighth. In addition to Rosa, Steve Selsky homered.

Alejandro (Spanish for "Unhittable") Chacin breezed to his 10th save.
    I have noticed that Chacin has been used exclusively as a closer. Is it unusual for someone who has recently turned 18 to be used this way? Have the Reds determined that he will be groomed for this role, or, are they simply limiting the innings on a young arm by putting him in 1 inning situations?

I don't know what they plan for Chacin, but I recall that Corcino was started in a similar way. In 2009, he closed at Billings at age 18 (after a season in relief in the DSL). He never started a game until he returned to Billings last year.

Bats losing 2-1, Phipps and Dorn with back to back doubles. Phipps is batting .367

Phipps triples in Francisco, bats still down 3 -2

DORN triples in Phipps! Not sure if I have ever seen back-to-back triples before!

Sac fly Mike Costanzo, 4 - 3 bats lead!

So is Phipps one of those raw athletes who suddenly has the lights go on? If so, he's probably in the OF mix in Cincy in 2012.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    So is Phipps one of those raw athletes who suddenly has the lights go on? If so, he's probably in the OF mix in Cincy in 2012.
    I absolutely don't know what to make of him. How can you?

I do recall that, last year (I think it was), the Reds used him in a surprising number of spring training games. Made it seem like they saw something in him.

The amazing thing to me is that it's his hit tool that has suddenly caught fire. I could understand better, I guess, if it was a power surge. That could be a little more random. But this is a guy who batted .238 and .255 at Dayton, .239 at Sarasota and .228 last year at Carolina. Go figure.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    I have noticed that Chacin has been used exclusively as a closer. Is it unusual for someone who has recently turned 18 to be used this way? Have the Reds determined that he will be groomed for this role, or, are they simply limiting the innings on a young arm by putting him in 1 inning situations?
    He is going to be a reliever, but his stuff won't allow him to be a closer. Not unless he adds several MPH to his fastball. Right now, his fastball is pretty average.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    He certainly is a raw athlete. It seems that all he is doing these days when he puts the bat on the ball is hit a line drive somewhere.

Mitch Clarke had another strong start--kid's looking good--and Brian Pearl and Blaine Howell have each followed with three scoreless innings. Dayton is 1-1 in the 11th. Torreyes left for a pinch-runner in the 9th. I believe that's the second straight night he's been replaced by a pinch-runner. He's also in a slump. Not sure what's going on.

Edit: I see that Torreyes was HBP in the ninth.
    Last edited by mace; 08-13-2011 at 10:49 PM.

Dayton wins 2-1.

Dayton Bottom of the 11th

* Jefry Sierra grounds out softly to pitcher Kyle Petter.
    * Theo Bowe strikes out swinging.
    * Billy Hamilton singles on a line drive to left fielder Brian Heere.
    * Drew Poulk singles on a line drive to center fielder Luigi Rodriguez. Billy Hamilton scores. Fielding error by center fielder Luigi Rodriguez.

Here is how the Carolina game ended tonight. Great play by HRod.
    Great play by Henry Rodriguez to end the game - YouTube

Turn Off Ads?