Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LA Times says Reds fans are ninth worst

Haunted by walks

LA Times says Reds fans are ninth worst

Their criteria seem flimsy and inconsistent.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseba...seball+News%29

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: LA Times says Reds fans are ninth worst

How so? Looks like it's based on average home attendance?

And there is absolutely some validity to what they say about the Reds...

9. Cincinnati (27,651) We can understand fans staying home in Kansas City, Seattle and Oakland. But the Reds won a division title last year.
    The Reds attendance wasn't great when they were still in the race this year. I understand that attendance isn't or shouldn't be the sole metric when measuring how passionate a fanbase is, but you have to admit, the attendance is sad anyhow. It's pretty embarrassing to see a nationally televised game on ESPN Sunday Night and see the stadium half empty.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

You gonna believe this from the newspaper of a city renowned for its disinterested baseball fans?

Looks to me like it's based largely on attendance. Unsurprisingly, all but one of the top 9 teams is in a large market.

Haunted by walks

They praise fans who show up when the team wins, but mark down fans whose team hasn't won consistently enough to be convinced things are different.

To my knowledge, Reds fans have never beaten a fan of the opposing team to the brink of death in the parking lot after a game at GABP (or Riverfront or Crosley, for that matter).

Maybe the L.A. Times should look in their own back yard first.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    To my knowledge, Reds fans have never beaten a fan of the opposing team to the brink of death in the parking lot after a game at GABP (or Riverfront or Crosley, for that matter).

Maybe the L.A. Times should look in their own back yard first.
    Eh. Really sad situation, but lets be honest. That could have happened anywhere. Every pro sports team has absolute idiots that are stupid enough to do something like that as a fan.

Factor in number of wins over the last ten years, and the size of the city, and the Reds will look pretty good for attendance. Any metric that doesn't consider market size is just not worth anything.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Los Angeles jerks can say whatever they want. At least we don't have thugs terrorizing our parking lots.

and at least our team hasn't filed for bankruptcy protection.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    You gonna believe this from the newspaper of a city renowned for its disinterested baseball fans?

No kidding. Show up late, leave early, make sure you're seen by everyone. Dodger baseball for many in LA.

Every city has it's hardcore fans. The casual fan seems more to me to be indicitave of the tone of a city.

Casual fans in LA give new meaning to the word casual.

Now casual Cubs fans.... there's a potential three part Dr. Phil for ya. Those tortured souls must be paying off some heavy karma from many past lives of evil.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    How so? Looks like it's based on average home attendance?

And there is absolutely some validity to what they say about the Reds...

The Reds attendance wasn't great when they were still in the race this year. I understand that attendance isn't or shouldn't be the sole metric when measuring how passionate a fanbase is, but you have to admit, the attendance is sad anyhow. It's pretty embarrassing to see a nationally televised game on ESPN Sunday Night and see the stadium half empty.
    I assume you're referring to the Reds Sunday night game a few weeks ago against the Braves? Attendance for that game was 33,000+, hardly an empty stadium...
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Actually, the Reds' attendance has been pretty good this year. In fact, two weeks ago, someone in the media said they were averaging 35,000 a game. They've had quite a few sellouts too.

And, I agree... the Sunday night game was well attended... I don't know what 'fear' was watching.
    Last edited by TeamBoone; 08-16-2011 at 06:03 PM.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hap View Post
    Los Angeles jerks can say whatever they want. At least we don't have thugs terrorizing our parking lots.
    Tell that to the two writers who were robbed at gun point leaving the stadium last week.

Again, that can happen everywhere.

I knew someone would say that.....

My response would be that this GABP robbery happened long after the game was over during the wee hours of the morning when not many other people were roaming the streets.......

Quote Originally Posted by Hap View Post
    I knew someone would say that.....

My response would be that this GABP robbery happened long after the game was over during the wee hours of the morning when not many other people were roaming the streets.......
    And it was a typical robbery, not fan-on fan violence. One happens in any metropolitan area, the other does not.

Turn Off Ads?