Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I think it is here.

I think it is here.

I think the Reds surge we waited for most of the season is here. I was watching the highlight of Bruce's homer from last night and what struck me is that the team was into it. I realize they are 10 out and have shown no signs of life in an awful long time but I think we are seeing the start of the Reds move. It is probably too late but I think come mid September the Reds may be within a few games. Bruce's swing looks so easy and he is getting locked in. Votto is driving the ball. Nothing else seems to make sense as to why a move could be here but I think it is. Now I will check out the 30 post game thread and be brought back to reality.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: I think it is here.

This is one of the few periods that the Reds have finally been able to both pitch well and hit well at the same time for multiple games in a row. Definitely makes the games more fun to watch. Could be the easier schedule this month. I will enjoy it while it lasts!

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Like you, I think it's too much to ask for them to really get back into it, but if we go on a run... well, the Brewers have won 15 of 17, they have to cool off sooner or later. Maybe we can get close enough to make them sweat that mid-September series a little bit, keep things interesting.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

I figured this would happen.

They'll make a run, get within 4-5 games, but like the girl with the curl, they'll break your heart.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

win 10 of the next 12.... and things will be a little more interesting.

5 games out sounds so good to me right now. Just get there Reds. I agree, they're going to go on a tear and no one will want to play them. They seem to do it this time of year.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I figured this would happen.

They'll make a run, get within 4-5 games, but like the girl with the curl, they'll break your heart.
    ... and then the front office will use the late-season run as an excuse to avoid upgrading the team in the offseason. Been there, done that. With the Reds and the Bengals both.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

The Cards have scored 1 more run that us this year, and given up 1 less.

We maintain the 7th best run differential in the MLB, and trail the 6th place Cards by 2.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post

We maintain the 7th best run differential in the MLB, and trail the 6th place Cards by 2.
    That's real nice and probably does indicate that the talent on this Reds team isn't as bad as many here act like it is but it does't make those 10 games the Reds trail the Brewers by any less.

I do agree that the Reds will probably finish the season hot and end up a few games over .500 and it's even possible that the Reds could make the Brewers sweat a little.The truth is,it's completely on the Brewers now.If they play even close to .500 baseball the rest of the way there's no way the Reds catch them.

When you win four in a row, only pick up one game in the standings, and are still 10 games back, that is a sign you are in trouble. But we have at least bypassed the Pirates....
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

I predict second place, 2 games back after game 162. Which to me is the the same as third place 10 games out.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    ... and then the front office will use the late-season run as an excuse to avoid upgrading the team in the offseason. Been there, done that. With the Reds and the Bengals both.
    You don't think some of the answers to this team's weaknesses can be found in the current crop of young players?
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    You don't think some of the answers to this team's weaknesses can be found in the current crop of young players?
    IMO, Sappelt can be a boon at the top of the order, Cozart will be an adequate answer at SS and Mesoraco will allow the team to save some bucks by replacing Hernandez without a huge drop (and some improvement since he'll probably take some ABs from Hanigan) but the two main things that this team needs are a solid, dependable starter who has the ability to pitch competitively against good line-ups (like you would see in the post season) and a middle of the order run producer who can play a positon that isn't already taken (Mesoraco may be this in a couple of years but he won't be in 2012 IMO). Those things don't exist in this next wave of players. Moves have got to be made and it probably means opening a spot in the OF for the bat. If Sappelt and Bruce fill two of those OF spots....

... Stubbs along with Alonso, Grandal and at least one of Volquez/Wood/Bailey should be made available. A number of lesser lights on the roster or in the minor leagues should all be available to complete a package or two.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

As far as a miracle for 2011 goes, the Reds have won 4 in a row and haven't gained any ground. Stick a fork in 2011. The last homestand of the year before the kids are in school ends today. Attendance will tank anyway with the kiddies back in school. Time to end the shell game being played on the fans and deal off Ramon and Cordero if possible for whatever can be had and move Mesoraco and Chapman into their probable roles for 2012.
    Last edited by mth123; 08-14-2011 at 07:16 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

I agree that the Reds aren't catching the Brewers this year, but how nice would it be to pass the Cards and leave LaRussa sitting in third? Division champs in 2010 and 2nd place in 2011 is nothing to sneeze at, especially given the injuries the team has faced this year.
    2013 Record at games attended: 0-1

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post

Are the Reds closing in on some kind of anti-Pythagorean record? The gap seems drastic.

Turn Off Ads?