Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baseball is more than just a game and is about more than just winning.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Baseball is more than just a game and is about more than just winning.

I just wanted to make a post about this because just last night it sunk in how important baseball was concerning the relationship I had with my father. I am guilty of watching games throughout this frustrating season, and saying things like it doesn't matter anymore, if they don't resign Votto i'm done with them, etc. While Im not trying to downplay the importance of winning, I'm just saying that I realized last night there is a lot more to the game than just that. My dad who posted sometimes around here as "roby" passed away last night completely unexpectedly from a heart attack. We found him in the restroom not breathing, and it was too late. It still feels surreal and hasn't sunk it because he seemed fine just a couple hours before that. We watched the Reds game together last night, as we did almost every night and watched them belt 7 HR's, and play a great game for a change this season. Even at the time, I was saying things like its too little too late, I wish they could've played like this sooner, etc. Looking back on it now though, I will remember it as the last game we ever got to watch together. In looking back on memories of childhood and things that we did together, almost all of them revolve around baseball. Whether it was him teaching me how to play, or going to games together or just watching them on tv. My point is, it was a huge part of our relationship. It's not just a game, its what we talked about all the time, and what we did together in our spare time for recreation. I guess what i'm trying to say is some things that I've said like being done with the Reds if they let Votto go aren't really true I guess, because its more than that to some degree. It was us sharing the Reds together, and talking and even sometimes arguing about the game lol. I just wanted to throw this out there during this frustrating season that we've been watching this year, there is more to it than just making the postseason, and I understand that now than I ever did before.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Re: Baseball is more than just a game and is about more than just winning.

I am so sorry to hear this. Obviously, it hits home as to what is really important.

I've been in a bad mood all weekend simply because everything seems to be going against me lately.

I still got my health, my parents, my kids, and this is a reminder to me to be thankful for that.

How old was your dad?

Again, very sorry for you. I wish you peace in the coming days as you continue to deal with this sudden loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I am so sorry to hear this. Obviously, it hits home as to what is really important.

I've been in a bad mood all weekend simply because everything seems to be going against me lately.

I still got my health, my parents, my kids, and this is a reminder to me to be thankful for that.

How old was your dad?

Again, very sorry for you. I wish you peace in the coming days as you continue to deal with this sudden loss.
    Thanks man, I appreciate it. He had just turned 57 July 1st. Still doesn't seem real we were just watching the game like normal like 25 hours ago, but I guess it is.

I am very sorry to hear of your loss. When we lose a loved one it really puts things into perspective. I don't mean to offend, but I will make sure to pray for you and your family. Again, sorry to hear the news.

I'm sorry to hear about that man. while i may not have known your father or you, a loss like that is tough, especially for a son who is close to their father. I'm actually at the hospital now with my wife waiting for the birth of my first son (have a daughter already) and i hope to god i am able to have relationship like that with him. Hang tough man, remember the good times and he will always be with you.

Man olle man, I dont know what to say....sorry is all I can think of at this moment....I think we all need to learn from this loss of yours, especially us posters that still have our fathers.....lesson in to spend as much time as you can with those that you love....you just never know...at times when I am sitting at my fathers house, we will watch the Reds but never speak to each other, just sit there and complain about the Reds.....and if they are playing bad we will at times get up and get away from each other cause we get so mad at Dusty Baker that we end up taking it out on each other.....reading your post will for sure make me start taking those games more to heart....start talking more about whats going on in our lives as opposed to moaning that Dusty is wasting Yo nder on the bench or why Stubbs was still batting leadoff......I am going to do my best to not walk away and leave when Bronson gives up 3 in the 1st inning.

Again, sorry for your loss but thanks for making me see that I need to take advantage of the time I have NOW with my father...you never know when today is the last day. prayers are with you friend

Kneel before Zod Cant Touch This's Avatar

My heart aches for you and your family. My father and I are extremely close, and we share a passion for the Reds - always watching (or listening) together when we get the chance. Now, my oldest son is 14, and he's right there with us. I never thought it could get better than sitting by the lake listening to the Reds on radio with my dad. That was, until my son joined us. Now that I get to play the role of "Dad" (while still being the son) - it really crystallizes the perspective you shared with us.

Moments like those make me want to freeze time. Tragedies like yours will remind a lot of us to cherish what we have.

Like Skreep said, most of us don't know you or your dad, but this hits home for many, many folks. I'm very sorry for your loss, and thank you for being strong enough to get online and share your perspective with us.
    A flute with no holes is not a flute. A doughnut with no holes is a danish. -- Zen Philosopher Basho

Michael-
    Wow man, a kick to read this awful news, I am sorry to hear the news of your loss. I have gotten to know you a little bit on here and consider you one of my favorite posters-we seem alike in baseball ways at least. I had also spoke with your dad on here a handful of times and wasnt aware of the connection-although in my head I wondered everytime but figured it was coincidence.
    I wasnt super close with my dad in many ways; thoughts/ideas/interests, etc, but we always had an equal love for baseball. My wife and I were talking the other day about my dad and the conversations we have when we see him.She was saying she could script them; start with baseball in general and any news/events going on, then move to our teams (he is a Tigers fan), then move on to my own playing days and the teams he coached for me. My wife was joking about it, but I said I dread the day we cant have those same near-scripted conversations.
    I know there are many painful days ahead for you as you deal with this. I hope the joy and memories of the years and times together can soon help ease that pain for you. Sorry for you and your families loss. I am betting he is oiling up his glove and waiting to have a catch with you again some day.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Man, I'm so sorry to hear this man. I don't know if there's anything I can say that can help. I know it's hard right now man. Keep goin strong buddy. Let me know if there is anything I can do.
    Let's make some noise!

I am sorry to hear about your loss. I lost my dad last year and it is still tough. My thoughts and prayers are with you. You sure made me stop and think about what is really important.

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

This is terrible news. I am so sorry man. Condolences to you and your family.

Life is fleeting sometimes....

I'm so sorry to hear that man, my prayers go out to you and your family.

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Let me add my condolences to the others --- Wow -- 57 is far too soon

I didn't have baseball to share with my Dad -- it was golf that we played together --- the memories will last just the same
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

I am truly sorry for your loss. My father passed away in the spring of 2010. It is still a difficult thing for me. I am praying for you.

David

Thanks everyone for all the thoughts and prayers, it is definitely appreciated. This is by far the most difficult and hectic thing i've ever had to deal with, and honestly am more concerned about my mom at this point, and trying to keep things together on that end. I really appreciate everyone caring. He didn't post a lot on this board but he read it all the time, and was constantly telling me things that he had heard which I would later see were posted here lol. I attached a picture of us from redsfest a couple years ago when we got to meet Votto, I believe it was 2007, he wasn't really a big deal yet. I remember him telling Votto he was glad they didn't trade him for Erik Bedard, and i've been more glad about that every day, more so than I was at the time lol. I just wanted everyone to know I really do appreciate all the thoughts and prayers, i've gotten to know a couple of you better here than others, but its just nice to know everyone cares. Thanks again,
    Michael
    Last edited by mroby85; 12-27-2012 at 11:11 PM.

Turn Off Ads?