This season has been kind of a bummer. I am a grizzled veteran when it comes to being a pessimist, so finding the positives among the negatives this season has proved to be difficult. But I have forced myself to find some "good" things about this year. These observations are in my opinion the few good things about this season.
1. Joey Votto is damn good. Power, average, gets on base, above average defense.
2. Jay Bruce is young and developing. He plays stellar defense. His natural power is second to none. Starting to hit the ball to the opposite field. Is and will continue to be a middle of the order run producing bat.
3. Johnny Cueto is our ace, and he is getting better.
4. This organization is loaded with cheap, young, talent. Cozart, Alonso, Frazier, Sappelt, Mesoraco, all look like they have the potential to produce in the bigs. The question is will they reach that potential? Because I am trying to be positive I will say yes.
5. Ryan Hannigan is not Mike Piazza. But he is a damn fine defensive catcher, walks more than he strikes out, and handle the pitching staff well. This quality of catcher is tough to find.
6. Brandon Phillips continues to be the finest defensive second baseman in the league.
Thought we could have some positive conversation for once this year.