Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Play Votto in LF?

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Play Votto in LF?

Lance is all over this on 1530 ESPN.

His argument:

Pujols went into TLR's office earlier this season when the Cardinals were having injury problems and offered to play 3B, so Berkman could play 1B, and they could get one of their better hitting OFers into the lineup.

Alonso is a defensive nightmare in LF. Lance believe Joey should take one for the team and offer to play LF. He said Joey played 44 games in the 2007 minor league season in LF, and played 7 games with the Reds in LF in 2007. I actually don't remember Joey ever playing LF for the Reds, but I'll just go with it. So he says put Votto in LF to get Alonso's bat in the lineup and play him at 1B.

Do you think Joey should do it?

My opinion is, I don't have a problem with it. I'm actually more concerned about Alonso playing 1B, than Joey playing LF. But I don't think it makes Votto a selfish person for not volunteering to do it.

I mean, I used to play 3B alot in softball leagues, but eventually played most of the time at 2B, where I was far more comfortable. In the end, I never wanted to go back to 3B, the hot corner, even though I had played it a bunch. Maybe Votto feels the same way. Just because he played adequate LF back in 2007, doesn't mean he's comfortable there 4 years later.

I can see both sides to the argument, and in no way feel Joey is selfish for not doing it. But if he is asked, I think he should do it for the team. And if he ends up not being comfortable, make his feelings known at that time.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Play Votto in LF?

I don't think they would ask the reigning MVP to change positions. I also doubt that he would ever offer.

I think I would try it out a few weeks if I were the manager though. If it makes the team better then it is the right move. Forget not wanting to hurt someones feeling or stepping on to many toes. I thought the idea was to win games. If this would help accomplish that then it should at least be considered.
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

This season is lost. Next Spring Training this idea may need to be revisited.

Instead of trying to fit a square peg into a round hole, why not fit a round peg into a round hole. I mean really go get a true productive LF...opps wait...there was one and his name was Hunter Pence and that would have solved our problem. But ole Walt didn't want to play nice.....

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Lance is all over this on 1530 ESPN.

His argument:

Pujols went into TLR's office earlier this season when the Cardinals were having injury problems and offered to play 3B, so Berkman could play 1B, and they could get one of their better hitting OFers into the lineup.
    2 things

1) that lasted ONE game. The next day he was back at 1st. HGH has started 4 games all year at 3rd and has 3 errors

2) HGH has played 3rd base in the majors before
    Last edited by Krawhitham; 08-17-2011 at 05:25 PM.

So we take a guy who has never really played LF, who has spent years honing his skills at first base, and make him move positions for some rookie who has spent most of the year learning to play LF?

sorry, i got distracted and forgot to put the "really" in there
    Last edited by Skreep; 08-17-2011 at 07:44 PM.

I mean if he can do it sure, I just dont see why some pple think it will just some seamless transition to move from 1B to LF.

Quote Originally Posted by webbbj View Post
    I mean if he can do it sure, I just dont see why some pple think it will just some seamless transition to move from 1B to LF.
    It's not, you go from playing a position with little movement and probably the easiest position to play on the field to playing the OF which while LF is probably the easiest of the 3 to play, it is a HUGE difference from playing first base. Again to even consider the thought is just plain stupid. You don't ask a fat overweight guy to run a marathon and you don't move a average 1st basemen to LF.

Selfish no....

If Votto played a decent left field he'd add at least another $10 mil to his next contract. Free agency as LF/1B/DH the Yankees and Red Sox would both be players for sure.

Pujols went to the MGR and offered to play another position because of injury. He was not offering to make a position change to become the every day 3B LF.

No to Votto in LF. Votto needs a legit RH hitting threat behind him to keep him from getting pitched around. More attention should be given to this dysfunctional lineup that has no leadoff man or 4 hole hitter, than worrying about how to get Alonso in the lineup. So far, Alonso hasn't proven anything yet, except he is a defensive liability, and a man w/out a position. I'm not so sure he would be a slam dunk defensively, at 1B either.

Votto's value would go up as a corner outfielder. There are only so many teams that are willing to pay a 1st Basemen 25 million a year.

Alonso has played roughly twice as many games as Votto in LF in his career. Alonso has over 60 starts in LF this season, Votto had 40 starts in the minors but hasn't played the position since 2007. Votto also wasn't very good in LF back then.

Lance McCallister is a blowhard.

for some odd reason ppl think votto can play left. has ppl ever thought maybe he just can't?

Turn Off Ads?