Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wandy Rodriquez placed on waivers

Wandy Rodriquez placed on waivers

The Astros have placed Wandy on waivers, should the Reds make a move and try to acquire this guy? IMHO I feel that this is the kind of move to make to bolster the rotation for 2012. Our farm system is full of young talent and we need help at the big league level now! This move would be a huge step forward in shoring up a weak spot before next season:

1)Cueto
    2)W.Rodriquez
    3)Leake
    4)Bailey
    5)Arroyo

If I'm Walt I would be tearing up the phone trying to get a deal done, I'd start by offering:

reds trade-Edinson Volquez, Yasmani Grandal, Travis Wood, and Dave Sappalt.

thoughts?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Wandy Rodriquez placed on waivers

Wandy makes around $26M between now and the end of 2012. Because of that, I believe the Astros would be doing cartwheels if anyone claimed him. I would imagine a few C prospects would be all it takes to get him, if you agreed to take his contract in full.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Probably 80% of Major League players get placed on waivers in August, so this by itself isn't really news. Teams are allowed to place up to 7 players on waivers at once, and often do so to disguise who may or may not be on the market.

Obviously it makes sense that the Astros would be open for trading Wandy, so his presence on waivers could mean they're willing to move him. In that scenario, I think he's someone the Reds have had their eyes on, but will probably cost more than they'd like to pay. I like Wandy, but I don't think he's worth paying too much for. Not a bonafide ace, so unless the Astros are willing to unload him for less than anticipated, I'd probably pass.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Always a good idea to get quality pitching. Houston's dumping salary, so the player cost wouldn't be prohibitive. Doubt the Reds open the purse strings, though.

I'll be shocked if the Yankees don't grab him. It would be nice for the Reds to, but the Arroyo deal probably makes this impossible. Oh to have the hindsight........

Wandy's good and has put up his numbers in a similar park in the same division, so a huge change from changing parks or leagues isn't something to worry about. While I'd prefer an ACE, Wandy is certainly the type of solid 200 inning guy to provide some dependability that the rotation needs. The problem is that he will make $10 Million in 2012 and $13 Million in 2013. I don't think the Reds can swing it and certainly don't need to provide both Grandal and Sappelt in a deal for him. I'd say Volquez and some lesser lights should get him. If the Astros want a top prospect or two they'll need to kick in some dollars towards the contract.

The Reds need to save the primo prospects for deals involving clear upgrades who are also affordable. I think Wandy is a clear upgrade over the Reds worst starter, but he's pricey and the Reds just can't use the available trade capital and payroll room without a bigger upgrade that addesses other problem areas.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

NM
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by schroomytunes View Post
    If I'm Walt I would be tearing up the phone trying to get a deal done, I'd start by offering:

thoughts?
    Huge overpayment.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by schroomytunes View Post

thoughts?
    2 thoughts.

1. Wandy's been trending down lately. I'm not sure if it's just frustration from being on such a bad team or if he's legitimately getting worse. Either way, it's a bit of a red flag.

2. Regardless of the reason for the drop in numbers...that's WAY too much for Wandy. Toss in the fact that the Astros are looking to shed dollars, it should take a LOT less than that to snag him.

I don't get why this guy doesn't get more attention. This is his 5th straight year of being a very solid starter. He's the pitcher that apparently Jocketty thought Arroyo is and $13M/yr is a good deal for him.

I don't see how we fit him in our payroll unless we cut BP loose and given his FB tendencies, he's probably not a great fit here, but I'd be shocked if he gets through waivers. New York and Detroit seem like particularly good fits.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I don't get why this guy doesn't get more attention. This is his 5th straight year of being a very solid starter. He's the pitcher that apparently Jocketty thought Arroyo is and $13M/yr is a good deal for him.

I don't see how we fit him in our payroll unless we cut BP loose and given his FB tendencies, he's probably not a great fit here, but I'd be shocked if he gets through waivers. New York and Detroit seem like particularly good fits.
    If Wandy's contract was structured the way Arroyo's is, with half of it deferred, the Astros wouldnt need to trade him, and teams would be fighting over each other to acquire him.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    If Wandy's contract was structured the way Arroyo's is, with half of it deferred, the Astros wouldnt need to trade him, and teams would be fighting over each other to acquire him.
    Except if traded, then the deferrals come due immediately.

Astros also waived Barmes, an Indiana guy. With the current state of the SS position, I wouldn't mind the Reds taking a run at him. He's had an OK year for Houston.

Just out of curiosity, do minor leaguers need to pass through waivers after the trading deadline to be dealt, or is it just the guys on the 25 man roster? (or the 40 man roster?)
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

The Reds have been trying to feast on the Astros' restructuring for 2 years, inquiring on Oswalt, Wandy, Bourn and others. The price is always higher for the Reds b/c it's the same division. That's the word on the internet anyway.
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

Turn Off Ads?