Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Improper benefits at the U?

Re: Improper benefits at the U?

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    I take this response to mean that you're okay with keeping Hurtt on staff despite him being levied with a Show Cause?

If he was a coach at UK, I would want him gone.

Did you read Jurich's "statement"?
    http://www.wdrb.com/story/23758344/bozich-

Good to see somebody in the Louisville media stand up to Papa Tom.

I seriously wouldn't be shocked if within the next five years something comes out about Bridgewater that puts Louisville on probation and I would say this even if I didn't pull for a rival team. Louisville and Jurich made their bed with Hurtt and I really wouldn't be shocked if there isn't more to the story. I'd say when it happens Charlie Strong and Clint Hurtt will be nowhere around either.

I absolutely love some of the pictures out there by the way:

The reason for this one is Hurtt called his unregistered cell phone the "Batphone".

All I know is no Louisville fan should ever call Calipari into question again.
    Last edited by WVRed; 10-23-2013 at 02:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Likes:

WMR (10-23-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

So let's assume that Louisville is doing something illegal, and committing the worst violations in NCAA history (that's a high bar). The growth in their program the last five years got them into the ACC and the extra $20+ million per year that comes along with it. No sanction thrown at them will take that away. Worth it.

So why would anyone play by the rules again?
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    So let's assume that Louisville is doing something illegal, and committing the worst violations in NCAA history (that's a high bar). The growth in their program the last five years got them into the ACC and the extra $20+ million per year that comes along with it. No sanction thrown at them will take that away. Worth it.

So why would anyone play by the rules again?
    And let's be clear, despite Clint hurtt being under a microscope, there is no evidence that he or anyone else has committed any violations at UofL.

Violations like these occur at schools with booster "problems". UofL (and UK) don't have the same issues with boosters as Miami, USC, or Ohio State because people aren't as crazy about football.

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    And let's be clear, despite Clint hurtt being under a microscope, there is no evidence that he or anyone else has committed any violations at UofL.

Violations like these occur at schools with booster "problems". UofL (and UK) don't have the same issues with boosters as Miami, USC, or Ohio State because people aren't as crazy about football.
    Keep telling yourself that.

7. Likes:

BillDoran (10-29-2013)

The Miami ruling is a joke. A decade of cheating, involving multiple coaches, multiple sports, and over 100 recruits and/or players, and the result is a loss of 12 schollies over a three-year period (9 in football and 3 in basketball)? What kind of cheating is going to have to take place now in order for a school to get hit hard? Anything short of a Penn State type scandal is apparently now considered nothing. The NCAA should just close their doors and let college sports become an outlaw organization (more so than it already is in some places).

Clint Hurrt lied to NCAA investigators while employed by the University of Louisville, so lets not pretend he's been clean at UofL. Louisville and Tom Jurich showed everyone when they kept Pitino after the Karen Sypher fiasco that they place winning above everything else, and by keeping Clint Hurtt on staff, they're showing everyone things haven't changed at the Ville. That's just a dirty athletics department all around.

The national outcry over the "dirty" Louisville athletic department is deafening. It's been AT LEAST a week since I've seen a national writer claim that Tom Jurich is the best athletic director in America. The number of times Louisville has been on probation since he's been on campus is shameful. Clearly, he's not trying.

10. Likes:

KYRedsFan (10-25-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    The national outcry over the "dirty" Louisville athletic department is deafening. It's been AT LEAST a week since I've seen a national writer claim that Tom Jurich is the best athletic director in America. The number of times Louisville has been on probation since he's been on campus is shameful. Clearly, he's not trying.
    Two things:

National outcry? No one in this country, outiside Jefferson County and rival's internet message boards, give a moment's thought to UofL.

It's basically become impossible to get on "probation" now. The fact Miami will be playing in a bowl game this year is all the reminder you need. It's obviously possible to be dirty without paying a price for it. See the North Carolina athletics department for another example.

As an OSU fan who IMO got hit hard with a penalty this should bother me. But it really doesn't. The U has had this investigation hovering over them for a number of years now. They have punished themselves already and the players who are on the team now have done nothing wrong. I hope the NCAA acts more in line with this for the next investigation. Don't draw the investigation out for years and then hammer the team on top of that.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    As an OSU fan who IMO got hit hard with a penalty this should bother me. But it really doesn't. The U has had this investigation hovering over them for a number of years now. They have punished themselves already and the players who are on the team now have done nothing wrong. I hope the NCAA acts more in line with this for the next investigation. Don't draw the investigation out for years and then hammer the team on top of that.
    If this investigation was a sign of how things are going to be from this point forward, the NCAA just needs to shut down and let schools police themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    National outcry? No one in this country, outiside Jefferson County and rival's internet message boards, give a moment's thought to UofL.
    Hah, no one watched the Final Four last year? Or the Sugar Bowl? Or the Women's national championship (you may have me there)? Or the College World Series?

That's interesting to note. It's amazing Louisville was able to con their way into the ACC with that being the case.

15. Likes:

KYRedsFan (10-25-2013)

Hah, no one watched the Final Four last year? Or the Sugar Bowl? Or the Women's national championship (you may have me there)? Or the College World Series?

That's interesting to note. It's amazing Louisville was able to con their way into the ACC with that being the case.
    You're right. No one was going to watch those events if UofL wasn't there.

Also, I'm glad UofL wound up in a legitimate conference, but there wasn't much left to choose from when the ACC invited them.

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    You're right. No one was going to watch those events if UofL wasn't there.
    But they were. In all of them. Interesting to note that people are so able to turn off their brains and not give Louisville a thought while constantly watching them play.

But they were. In all of them. Interesting to note that people are so able to turn off their brains and not give Louisville a thought while constantly watching them play.
    I tried to watch Louisville play football this year but fell asleep at the start of the second quarter. I did have a dream with Kate Upton in it though so there's that.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Turn Off Ads?