Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Improper benefits at the U?

Re: Improper benefits at the U?

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I'm not sure how you can spin this into a good thing for Miami. It starts to validate the story. The NCAA can't penalize 72 players because many of them aren't in school anymore. So they punished the 8 they could prove or admitted to wrong doing.

Of course they were paid. Out of these 8 players suspended, there was a total of $4,000 in benefits provided not including 4 players who were given less than $100 who were not suspended and are allowed to pay the money back.

The NCAA has been investigating this for 5 months. It's not like they just started. What basically happened is that the administration and coaches knew about the guy, but they couldn't keep him away from the kids in public. Randy Shannon banned this guy from practice and warned them multiple times to stay away from him.

The only bad part to come from this story is that Jacory harris was only suspended one game.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Bottom line is the football team is going to lose a few schollys over the next 3 years.

http://news.yahoo.com/ap-source-miam...3402--spt.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Wow, how dirty can UL get??

Going to keep Mr. Show Cause Hurtt on staff and just not let him recruit until his show cause lapses...

Dumbfounded.

You can cheat while recruiting players at Miami, have those players you cheated to recruit follow you to your new school, get CAUGHT cheating, and STILL keep your job? SMH.

Of course, this is the AD and President that kept Pitino after his abortions, using a staff position to pay off a dude for marrying his floozy, etc. etc.

Makes you wonder what dirt Hurtt has on Strong and UL. What are the chances he actually quit all of his cheating at UL? He probably knows where enough of the bodies are buried to screw UL majorly. (Wonder how much he paid for Bridgewater?)
    Last edited by WMR; 10-22-2013 at 01:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Dumbfounded.
    My exact emotion when I saw that it was someone other than you who had resurfaced this topic earlier today. I can't believe you were so slow to respond.

6. Likes:

WMR (10-22-2013)

This sounds like a wrist slap but Miami already self-imposed a 2 year post season ban including a potential ACC championship and it's uncertain how many scholarships that Miami has already stripped from their program.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

That's a far cry from the Gloom and Doom predictions earlier in this thread that warned of a 5 yr ban, 10 scholarships a year and maybe even a death penalty. Seems to me that the program is humming along just fine

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    That's a far cry from the Gloom and Doom predictions earlier in this thread that warned of a 5 yr ban, 10 scholarships a year and maybe even a death penalty. Seems to me that the program is humming along just fine
    The NCAA massively screwed up this investigation. Given all their missteps it's pretty amazing they even passed down this punishment.

10. Likes:

Chip R (10-22-2013),HeatherC1212 (10-23-2013),Revering4Blue (10-22-2013)

The NCAA massively screwed up this investigation. Given all their missteps it's pretty amazing they even passed down this punishment.
    Yeah. If that was a criminal case, it would have been thrown out of court.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Sad to see the Ncaa become a paper tiger, absolutely no danger anymore in programs blatantly engaging in cheating.
    Go Gators!

And lets be honest, if the NCAA's transgressions weren't revealed, Miami would've been tattooed.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

14. Likes:

Todd Gack (10-22-2013)

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    And lets be honest, if the NCAA's transgressions weren't revealed, Miami would've been tattooed.
    Maybe. Maybe not.

As your previous post states, The "U" took it upon themselves with significant self-imposed penalties.

Contrast this with USC's situation, where upon the Trojan powers-that-be (instead of self-imposing and accepting responsibility -- knowing full well that they were guilty) appealed the process, stocking up on high-rated recruits in the process before the hammer fell. That's why scholarships were not recently renewed via Pat Haden's recent appeal, which played a major factor in the severity of punishment.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    My exact emotion when I saw that it was someone other than you who had resurfaced this topic earlier today. I can't believe you were so slow to respond.
    I take this response to mean that you're okay with keeping Hurtt on staff despite him being levied with a Show Cause?

If he was a coach at UK, I would want him gone.

Did you read Jurich's "statement"?

I would have preferred they let him go. If he commits a violation at Louisville, it's going to be major trouble. Not sure he's worth that risk.

The "threat" of NCAA sanctions hovering over Miami were penalty enough. Al Golden had to convince years worth of recruits to come to a school potentially facing major sanctions. This, along with the self-imposed bowl ban, was enough.

On a side note, why would any school "self-impose" penalties anymore? The NCAA is feckless and doesn't have the credibility to impose any real sanctions on schools. In the past few years, they botched the Miami situation (relying on a convicted felon amongst other things) and completely overstepped their authority in the Penn State situation.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    The "threat" of NCAA sanctions hovering over Miami were penalty enough. Al Golden had to convince years worth of recruits to come to a school potentially facing major sanctions. This, along with the self-imposed bowl ban, was enough.

On a side note, why would any school "self-impose" penalties anymore? The NCAA is feckless and doesn't have the credibility to impose any real sanctions on schools. In the past few years, they botched the Miami situation (relying on a convicted felon amongst other things) and completely overstepped their authority in the Penn State situation.
    Well a big part of the reason that the NCAA sanctions were so light was because Miami self imposed a 2 year bowl ban. Had they not done that, this would have been far worse than USC.

20. Likes:

RedFanAlways1966 (10-25-2013),Sea Ray (10-23-2013)

Turn Off Ads?