Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Can Alonso Make It As An Average Third Baseman Defensively?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes, give the guy a chance

10 23.26%
  • no, he has hands of stone.

33 76.74%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can Alonso Make It At Third?

Can Alonso Make It At Third?

Just wonder if you think Alonso could make it an average third baseman defensively? Dusty Baker said not everyone is Pete Rose but Alonso has played the position before in college. So do you think he could make it defensively as a third baseman?
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Can Alonso Make It At Third?

According to U of Miami, Alonso never played a game at 3b. I'd say it's a long shot.
    Unofficial Johnny Cueto Cy Young Campaign President For Reds Fans by a Reds Fan
    Johnny Cueto's Next Start:
    AUGUST 20, 7:15 PM ET @ Busch Stadium
    MORTAL COMBAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I picture Alonso at 3rd base I see Johnny Bench standing there like a statue. I just can't see this going well.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Give him a chance but the odds are very much against him.

To many people think MLB players can move around positions like they are playing in a Wednesday night softball league.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

I've not seen him play third, so I don't know. Is that one fo the choices?

I haven't seen anything that indicates that his hands are or aren't bad. His problems in the outfield seem to be mostly judging fly balls, which is what you'd expect with his lack of experience. Third base is more react than think; it's a totally different skill set.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    I haven't seen anything that indicates that his hands are or aren't bad. His problems in the outfield seem to be mostly judging fly balls, which is what you'd expect with his lack of experience. Third base is more react than think; it's a totally different skill set.
    Yeah I agree. His misadventures in left field don't prove he couldn't play third base. If he proves unable to handle third base it won't be because of "hands of stone", it will be due to a lack of mobility or a poor throwing arm. The biggest difference between playing first base (which he can do) and third base is the long throw. It requires a strong, accurate arm and a quick release.

I'm not confident that Alonso can stick at any position that requires he wear leather. I'm pretty sure that he'll hit major league pitchers though.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I'm not confident that Alonso can stick at any position that requires he wear leather. I'm pretty sure that he'll hit major league pitchers though.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I'd like to see him try. It's an area where the Reds have a need and they could use his bat in the lineup.

Where's the IDK choice since we haven't had a look at him. That's my vote. Give him a month there and see what he can do.
    And This One Belongs to the REDS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    This.

He's an average to below average 1B right now.

OTOH, 1B and 3B are similar in reaction time, range, and quickness/ speed.

His arm has always been considered adequate and seems to be strong enough. (Though it seems that 3B is once again turning into a defense-first position, as it was for the first 100 years baseball was played.)

It's worth a shot (as was the LF experiment). If he can pull a Tony Perez or a Pete Rose, it'll be worth it. If not, he can always be dealt. There's nothing to lose in trying. (Though I'd probably wait for September to roll around before trying it consistently to give him more time.)
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

I said no, but I think his hands are fine. It's his feet I worry about.

I love how the Reds have developed this kid

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    I love how the Reds have developed this kid
    I honestly get the feeling that everyone in the Reds organization is on the same page except the manger.

Turn Off Ads?