1 2.44%
  • Walt

2 4.88%
  • Dusty

11 26.83%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Which players won't be with the Reds on OD 2012

Which players won't be with the Reds on OD 2012

Okay which players won't be here for next year? Not the ones you don't wan't but what ones do you think Walt will move...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Which players won't be with the Reds on OD 2012

It seriously would not surprise me if every single one of them are back. I would have liked to have seen D-Train on that list. He is a coin flip to me.

I think Edgar for sure won't be back, also I don't see the FO picking up the $12 million dollar option for B Phil and I don't see them signing him to any kind of extension.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    It seriously would not surprise me if every single one of them are back. I would have liked to have seen D-Train on that list. He is a coin flip to me.
    I would like to see him back but I think the Reds are to cheap to bring him back.
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

Renteria won't be back unless he's being paid Fred Lewis money or getting a minor league contract. With Cozart around to provide a competent offense/defense combo and Janish cheap and under team control, Renteria doesn't have a place.

Bailey looks to be a centerpiece of any deal in the works, but I since I don't see any major deal happening this offseason, he stays.

Stubbs stays without a doubt. He's our only steal threat, and Dusty appears in no way ready to hand the job to Sappelt or Heisey.

Votto stays until the middle of next season at the earliest. No one is counting these Reds out as contenders for next year, with the young talent we still have. He won't fetch much while Pujols and Fielder remain on the market.

Hernandez should be on the list, since the handoff to Mesoraco shouldn't be taken for granted. Also, some have speculated that Hernandez would decline arbitration in favor of a long term contract, and a supplemental pick must sound favorable to a team that's graduating most of its high-level prospects. I'd give him a 1 in 3 chance of coming back.

I believe that Volquez makes the team as a fifth starter in 2012. There are enough loose cannons in this future rotation (Arroyo and Wood's drop-off, Bailey's injuries, Chapman's uncertain move) and poor options in the upper minors that having enough rotation candidates is essential.

Phillips is the big mystery. We have no other good options at second base; Valaika is a replacement part at best, and all of our other infielders are better trained as third basemen. Letting Phillips go would set that position back for years to come, as our next potential options are still in Dayton and wont be here til 2014 at the earliest. For all we know, they could burn out as well. Phillips would be getting quite a paycheck though; 12 million if the option is picked up, likely more if offered arbitration or exposed to free agency. I see the option being picked up as the org guns for the playoff next season; however, the idea of a LTC is a nebulous one for a player that has lost as much speed and power as he has over the years.

Double post
    Last edited by The DARK; 08-17-2011 at 04:34 PM.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Renteria, Lewis, Phillips and Hernandez will be gone. Volquez as well if we can find a suitable trade for him. I think the Reds brass has had all they can take of him.

Votto, Bruce, Wood, Stubbs and Rolen will all be here unless Scott decides to hang 'em up, which is a legit possibility.

Bailey could well be dealt; I guess a lot of it depends on how he finishes the season. If he pitches well, his value as a trading chip will be much higher. Personally, I hope we keep him. I think we're just scratching the surface with him. He's going to be really, really good.

I can see a Heisey, Alonzo or Sappelt move in the off-season.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

From the day he was drafted, I've always felt Alonso was later-to-be, trade bait. That changes if the Reds decide to go ahead and move Votto now rather than lose him in a couple years anyway. But, the return could alter depending on what Fielder and Pujols do in the off-season. I'd rather have a Votto than the other 2, he's less worn down, and should (I said should), have more prime years left in him. Fielder's bulk will wear him down, Pujols already has 11 years wear.

•It's wouldn't be surprising to see the D'Backs look into the possibility of acquiring a shortstop this month, despite Willie Bloomquist's solid play in place of the injured Stephen Drew. But Edgar Renteria? One D'Backs source tells Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic that the Reds "won't move him" (Twitter link).
    From mlbtraderumors.com.
    Maybe they will be back, both Renteria and Hernandez.

Turn Off Ads?