Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vetoed Trade for Schilling in Field Competitive Team League

Vetoed Trade for Schilling in Field Competitive Team League

Can someone please explain to me why it was vetoed this time, and who did it? It's getting kinda ridiculous!
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    its a conspiracy...you can't ditch your extra closer and extra hitting for an awesome starter...or so that's the logic i'm seeing...
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

The commish has the power to veto any trade, but I'm failing to see the logic behind this one as well...

What was the deal?

Are you talking about our league on yahoo?
    "You're drunk again. No, I'm just exhausted 'cause I've been up all night drinking."
    Peter Griffin

I think the league is called "Field Competitive Team", I don't know if it's a Yahoo league.

It's ours, and the trade is Smoltz and Thome for Schilling. Getting a lot of people in a tizzy for whatever reason.
    "You're drunk again. No, I'm just exhausted 'cause I've been up all night drinking."
    Peter Griffin

Smoltz/Thome for Schilling- I guess it would depend on the categories selected and strengths and weaknesses of each team.

I understand looking at team's strengths and weaknesses in trade talks, to an extent. But we're talking about giving up arguably the best closer and either second or third best 1B, for likely the 3rd best pitcher. It just doesn't add up at all, much less considering Schilling was awful suspect in the second half last year. We've hammered this on our league board, but trading 2 all stars for one is just plain rigged.
    Peter Griffin

I was attempting to be diplomatic (apparently without success). I would agree that at first (and probably) last glance it looks one-sided. But I do not now the league settings. If it is a points league, and a win is worth twice as much as a save, and strikeouts by a pitcher are worth more than they count against a batter.................. Well, you probably get my point. If, however, it is H2H or rotisserre, and the categories are what most league are using, it is very one-sided and should not be allowed.

Sorry if my response was ill-toned, none was meant . And yes, it is a H2H league with fairly similar settings as the other leagues here. I do appreciated the feedback, many in the league are getting upset at the owners fighting this and it is getting kind of old going against a trade that is blatanly inbalanced.
    Peter Griffin

I am a commish for a league and you have me wondering what I have gotten myself into. However, the first (and pretty much only) rule the league agreed on was that if 5 of the 12 non-participants in a trade objected to it, it would be denied. We modeled that on the Yahoo public league rules (4 of 10). The only problem that I can forsee with doing it that way is if a few members become inactive later (which I don't expect) 5 may be to high a threshold, at which point we will have to adjust. Good luck working through the problem.
    Last edited by Redny; 03-23-2003 at 07:56 PM.

the thing is Betty Crocker Boys have no real use for Smoltz, they have Gagne. They have a powerful offense. They have decent pitching. Hotlanta has a weak offense, and a relatively strong starting staff, with no real closer. The deal makes sense to me...but the only logic i keep hearing from everyone else is that it's 2 all-stars for 1 all-star.

make my brain stop hurting!!!
    Last edited by Ravenlord; 03-23-2003 at 08:38 PM.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Why couldn't a medium level position player be added to make it appear fairer? The team trading Schilling will have to waive somebody anyways.

You keep hearing that logic because that logic is exactly what the friggin problem is. I understand the desire to trade from areas of strength, but, for the umteenth time, in doing so, the trade has got to be fair. Now, as has been stated numerous times here and on our site, adding a player to even the trade is the only way this will work. There are at least 5 owners who have expressed dismay with this trade, it's not just one guy being a jerk or the commish being heavy-handed. It's an unfair trade for the reason stated above, and sorry if it causes you headaches, but what other argument would you expect than the utterly obvious?
    Peter Griffin

Turn Off Ads?