Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wednesday 8-17-11 Minor League Games

Wednesday 8-17-11 Minor League Games

Bats are winning 5 - 1 on home runs by Francisco and Phipps. All season, there has been a team-wide problem of losing grip of the bat and throwing it in to the stands, and that has happened four times already today: once by Miller and Phipps and twice by Costanzo!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Re: Wednesday 8-17-11 Minor League Games

Bats up 7-4 now in the bottom of the 8th. Gil pitching.

Costanzo homered in Phipps in the top of the 8th to push the margin back to 3.

By the way, Phipps is now batting .361 in Louisville.

No Mesoraco today and Volquez did start this game.

Volquez' line is 6 1/3 IP, 10 H, 4 R, 3ER, 1 BB, 6 K

Love the 6:1 K:BB ratio. Volquez' Lousiville ERA is now "up" to 2.29.

So Gil came into the 8th with a runner and second and one out and got out of the inning without giving up any runs.

Heading to the 9th in Louisville its Bats 7 and Indians 4.

Griffin grounds out to third to lead-off the ninth.

Danny Dorn homers to open up the lead to 8 4. Negron follows up with a line out to second. Valiaka up to the plate.

Dorn HR makes it 8 - 4 Bats going to the bottom of the ninth.

Valaika grounds out. A 1 for 5 for him today. Continuing a disappointing season.

Gil staying in to pitch the ninth.

Gil gets the first two batters to ground out in the ninth.

Only one more out for the W.

Gil K's D'Arnaud and now the Bats have the same record (65-61) as the Indians.

Question for those who know more than me. What are the Bats' playoff chances looking like?

I'm certainly ready to see Francisco in Cincinnati. I can understand that they've delayed it in light of his injury and rehab, but he definitely appears to be in the swing of things now. His fielding is apparently improved, he's hitting .300, his power is well-documented, there's a void at third base . . .

That said, I don't have an easy recommendation on who to demote in his place. Frazier, possibly--then bring him back up in September. Or, I guess they might as well send Alonso back down if he's not going to start anywhere. Or release Lewis. At any rate, it's time to see what Francisco can do on a semi-regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    I'm certainly ready to see Francisco in Cincinnati. I can understand that they've delayed it in light of his injury and rehab, but he definitely appears to be in the swing of things now. His fielding is apparently improved, he's hitting .300, his power is well-documented, there's a void at third base . . .

That said, I don't have an easy recommendation on who to demote in his place. Frazier, possibly--then bring him back up in September. Or, I guess they might as well send Alonso back down if he's not going to start anywhere. Or release Lewis. At any rate, it's time to see what Francisco can do on a semi-regular basis.
    You think Francisco has a better chance of being the Reds' 3B of the future than Frazier? I think I have always liked Frazier more due to his better eye. I think Frazier warrants all of the playing time until the end of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Gil K's D'Arnaud and now the Bats have the same record (65-61) as the Indians.

Question for those who know more than me. What are the Bats' playoff chances looking like?
    Unlikely but not impossible. The division is out of the question. If the Iron Pigs lose tonight, they will be tied for third in the wild card 5 behind the Iron Pigs. They have a four game home series with them next week, so it is possible to pass them if we stay hot, but Gwinett is still ahead of us, so they would have to get cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    You think Francisco has a better chance of being the Reds' 3B of the future than Frazier? I think I have always liked Frazier more due to his better eye. I think Frazier warrants all of the playing time until the end of the year.
    There's always going to be a debate about Francisco. He's divisive. I actually like both of them, but Francisco has a bigger upside and he's the one running out of opportunities. For him, it's simply time. My ideal situation would be to platoon them from here on out. Of course, that would give Francisco most of the ABs, but Frazier could also play some LF and a little 1B. (That said, Cairo has in no way disqualified himself. It's just that this team needs to make some important decisions going forward.)

Turn Off Ads?